March 2016 Moms
Options

At risk for pre term delivery

Has anyone been prescribed the Makena injection to help prevent pre term delivery ? I am a bit skeptical.

Re: At risk for pre term delivery

• Options
    The progesterone shots? I have. Last pregnancy and this one too. Every week starting at 16 weeks until I deliver. There isn't really any risks to it. It's worth it.
  • Options
    Yes yes! My son came super early at 28weeks and we had miscarriages before him. I've been on the Make a for 5 weeks now (currently 21weeks). Trust me ANYHING is worth doing if it prevents having a preemie. Seeing your baby in in incubator unable to hold and touch him is...incredibly heartbreaking :/ every thing you can do you should. Every single day makes a difference!!! :) AND I haven't had any side effects other then small knots where the shit was but its not painful, so hopefully you won't either!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why are you skeptical?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am on it now. My first was unexpectedly born at 32 weeks. I have had no side effects other than the occasional sore booty after the injection.

Let me tell you what I will do anything to keep this baby from having to go through what DD did, and i don't want to experience the emotional turmoil of not being able to do anything for my baby other than sit back and watch her fight for her life! I had my first with someone else, so I also don't want to place that emotional burden on my husband either.
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was recommended to get it because I had 1 preterm birth and have other risk factors I have. I did decline to have it because of the risks of potential side effects. My doctor was ok with with my decision and didn't push. I have to deliver anyway by 36 weeks. It can increase the chances of misscarriage, still birth, blood clots, gestational diabetes and preaclamsia. Its a slight risk but its still there. All of these are listed clearly on the brocure that your doctor probably has in the black and white phamplet and on website with the statistics. I'm already a high risk pregnancy with complications and had a miscarriage in past. I personally just wasn't willing to take the chance. The drug maker does have a website Makena.com and an information line you can call. It also is a fairy new shot as well. I started another thread about this maybe a month or so ago because was on fence and other people were also hesitant about recommending it because of it's possible risk factors.