February 2016 Moms

Lunch meat

What's everyone's opinion on cold deli sandwiches throughout pregnancy?

Re: Lunch meat

• Plenty of women eat them and are fine. For me, though, it's not worth the risk. My midwife advised against it, for listeria concerns. Since we are about 13 times more likely to contract listeria, which can be fatal to the fetus, I'm happy to give it up for a few months.
  • With my first I didn't. But I was making my daughter a ham sandwich earlier and I had to have a few bites. So now I'm worried
  • Loading the player...
  • I eat it from reputable places and at home. I wouldn't eat it sitting out or anything. You're just as likely to get listeria from salad, fruit, or ice cream.

• g8trkim said:

I eat it from reputable places and at home. I wouldn't eat it sitting out or anything. You're just as likely to get listeria from salad, fruit, or ice cream.

What she said. I've been eating it throughout my pregnancy.
  • I didn't even know this was a thing till recently. I ate deli meat through my last pregnancy and now this one, though I've lived in different, more "relaxed", countries for both.
  • Don't eat it if it's been sitting out and getting warm.... Otherwise eat away
  • I don't from restaurants, but I do at home on occasion. It hasn't been a big deal to skip it for me, since I didn't eat much anyway. I agree, though, that your relative risk is a lot higher with other food items that we're not told to avoid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I occasionally get a turkey sandwhich from subway but ask them to heat up just the meat before putting it on the sandwhich. Supposedly less risk in "cooked" meat.
  • I think they're delicious ;)
  • I also eat from reputable delis - my midwife said to go for it as long as it's not sketchy. I didn't eat it at all with my first though ... This time I'm much more lax in general about everything
  • As long as its not sitting out you should be fine.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • pbtoast said:

g8trkim said:

I eat it from reputable places and at home. I wouldn't eat it sitting out or anything. You're just as likely to get listeria from salad, fruit, or ice cream.

What she said. I've been eating it throughout my pregnancy.
    Ditto! I actually craved it this time around.
  • I followed my doctor's orders which was no deli meats at all unless they were heated until steaming to kill any bacteria that may harbor on them. Listeria is the bacteria that hangs out on lunch meat and may cause listeriosis which is dangerous to baby. I would just ask your doctor as they have the medical training to advise on this topic. I am way too much of a worrier so I have just been avoiding it.
  • I've had numerous turkey sandwiches throughout the past few months and we're both fine.
  • I have been avoiding ot. But today I had a ham and cheese sandwich. .my doctor said as long b as the lunch meat is good quality we are good.
  • I crave lunch meat so I actually eat it daily but my ob told me to heat it up for 30 seconds in microwave (sounds gross I know) so I toast my whole sand which in the oven or I make grilled ham and cheese
  • I lived on turkey, cheese, and avocado sandwiches throughout my first pregnancy and I've eaten a ton this time, too. If you're smart about it (don't eat stuff that's been sitting out, buy reputable meat, etc.), you're probably fine. There are a lot of things you can catch listeria from, like PP pointed out.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I didn't eat it cold with my first but have been with this one. I can't stand it warmed up. I make sure to buy it from reputable places. So far, so good!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ashleymoore90Ashleymoore90 member
    edited November 2015
    thanks everyone
  • PaniaO said:

It's basically November. This board discussed deli meat about 30 times before now. Try the search function.

And I'm new to the group and just getting used to how to do things. So.....
  • And I'm new to the group and just getting used to how to do things. So.....
    I'm sure you think that was said to you to be mean or whatever, but the 3 day waiting period is for lurking and looking around. In the pinned thread titled "New Here...Read me First" the third guideline is:

3) Before you post a new thread, consider looking through a few pages or using the search function located at the bottom of the screen first. Many of us are going through the same things, so there isn't a reason to have 10 posts on the same thing. It just makes sense to have all of those responses together. If someone posts a redirect link to a different thread, don't get offended and please don't continue posting on the thread that has been redirected. And please, update in your original post, not a new one. We're just trying to make it easier for people to get the help and answers they need.

Here's a link to that post and the other one that all newcomers should familiarize themselves with https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12592563/new-here-read-me-first/p1

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

I'm sure you think that was said to you to be mean or whatever, but the 3 day waiting period is for lurking and looking around. In the pinned thread titled "New Here...Read me First" the third guideline is:

3) Before you post a new
    thread, consider looking through a few pages or using the search function
    located at the bottom of the screen first. Many of us are going through the
    same things, so there isn't a reason to have 10 posts on the same thing. It just
    makes sense to have all of those responses together. If someone posts a
    redirect link to a different thread, don't get offended and please don't
    continue posting on the thread that has been redirected. And please, update in
    your original post, not a new one. We're just trying to make it easier for
    people to get the help and answers they need.

Here's a link to that post and the other one that all newcomers should familiarize themselves with https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12592563/new-here-read-me-first/p1

No never thought that just wanted to let her and others know that I was new and trying to figure things out. Anytime someone can give me advice on how to use the app better I'm for it. I just realized the search at the bottom even though I recall reading what you just sent. I was scrolling through looking at the threads and thought this would be easier. So when you say don't post on the same thread once someone redirects you to another thread regarding same situation. Is there a way to delete the thread I started??
  • edited November 2015
    No never thought that just wanted to let her and others know that I was new and trying to figure things out. Anytime someone can give me advice on how to use the app better I'm for it. I just realized the search at the bottom even though I recall reading what you just sent. I was scrolling through looking at the threads and thought this would be easier. So when you say don't post on the same thread once someone redirects you to another thread regarding same situation. Is there a way to delete the thread I started??
    No, you can't delete them and it's considered dirty if you try. 

eta - I apologize for assuming you were being sarcastic with your ellipses. I'm just very used to new members being nasty when they're are redirected.

• I just warm mine up first.  Kills the bacteria and is delicious!
  • I been craving ham sandwiches on wheat bread with pepper jack cheese, mayo and mustard. No shame. I feel fine and baby is still kicking away!
  • I haven't been eating it because my doctor told me not to but man oh man do I miss a good sandwich.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I enjoy them. Never heated a cold sandwich in my life. Sounds gross. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My sister is an L&D nurse. She just told me about a case that came in with listeria poisoning. She didn't know what it was from (or didn't tell me) but it scared me enough to avoid lunch meat.

I'm generally a worrier to begin with, so it didn't take much to terrify me anyway
  • chekkmate said:
    My sister is an L&D nurse. She just told me about a case that came in with listeria poisoning. She didn't know what it was from (or didn't tell me) but it scared me enough to avoid lunch meat. I'm generally a worrier to begin with, so it didn't take much to terrify me anyway
    if you are that worried, you should cut out not only deli meat but all processed meat (hot dogs, sausages and etc) and raw veggies. Listeria resides in water and soil and can contaminate your veggies. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I don't really eat much lunch meat in general - think I've had maybe 2 or 3 cold sandwiches/wraps this pregnancy but if I really wanted one, I'd eat it. My OB says its fine in moderation, she said places like Subway who leave their meat out all day are probably not a wise choice but if it was store bough, pre-packaged its probably fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ashcody2 said:
    I don't really eat much lunch meat in general - think I've had maybe 2 or 3 cold sandwiches/wraps this pregnancy but if I really wanted one, I'd eat it. My OB says its fine in moderation, she said places like Subway who leave their meat out all day are probably not a wise choice but if it was store bough, pre-packaged its probably fine. 
    Those are high in nitrates, though, which carry their own set of problems.

• chekkmate said:
    My sister is an L&D nurse. She just told me about a case that came in with listeria poisoning. She didn't know what it was from (or didn't tell me) but it scared me enough to avoid lunch meat. I'm generally a worrier to begin with, so it didn't take much to terrify me anyway
    if you are that worried, you should cut out not only deli meat but all processed meat (hot dogs, sausages and etc) and raw veggies. Listeria resides in water and soil and can contaminate your veggies. 

Also, hummus, cantaloupe, and ice cream. There have been listeria outbreaks in all of these foods in the last several years.

3) Before you post a new
    thread, consider looking through a few pages or using the search function
    located at the bottom of the screen first. Many of us are going through the
    same things, so there isn't a reason to have 10 posts on the same thing. It just
    makes sense to have all of those responses together. If someone posts a
    redirect link to a different thread, don't get offended and please don't
    continue posting on the thread that has been redirected. And please, update in
    your original post, not a new one. We're just trying to make it easier for
    people to get the help and answers they need.

This quote tree is way too long now, but oh well. Group norms are for suckers [...]

Point is: There's a pinned thread at the top of the board that asks new members to read it first. There's no apparent reason not to do so, as it was composed and pinned for this very reason.

Cheers [...] !

Oh and watch out for Chipotle! It'll be more likely to get ya before sliced fowl does. ~:>
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • ashcody2 said:

I don't really eat much lunch meat in general - think I've had maybe 2 or 3 cold sandwiches/wraps this pregnancy but if I really wanted one, I'd eat it. My OB says its fine in moderation, she said places like Subway who leave their meat out all day are probably not a wise choice but if it was store bough, pre-packaged its probably fine. 

That's interesting because my doctor told me the opposite. She said to go to the deli counter and only buy enough for what I would want for a couple of days and then heat it up until it steamed. Stuff like this makes me question all of these do/don'ts because two doctors never agree on anything

• ashcody2 said:

Those are high in nitrates, though, which carry their own set of problems.

You can buy nitrate free lunch meat.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • You can buy nitrate free lunch meat.
    At the deli counter is easier. Most of the pre-packaged, pre-sliced stuff has it. 

• Love deli meat! I don't stress it and eat deli meat often. My baby is perfectly healthy.