June 2016 Moms

Any suggestions for motion sickness on airplane?

I've noticed I'm getting motion sick very easily.  I usually take Dramamine when I fly because I get sick on planes to begin with.   I've got to get on a plane in a week and am concerned about puking the entire time.   Has anyone found anything that works well controlling the motion sickness?   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Any suggestions for motion sickness on airplane?

• Ask you doc if dramamine is safe. 
  • Gravol is safe, but I tried to use sparingly in my first pregnancy. They also make a natural ginger version that helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Falling asleep is usually the only thing that helps me.
  • cattlebridecattlebride member
    edited October 2015
    Queese ease is a life saver. It's an aroma oil you sniff and it helps me a ton for car sickness
  • Thanks all! I'm going to ask my doc about Dramamine but love the idea of queese ease as first line of defense.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Those pressure point sea bands are supposed to work pretty well. Im yet to try them for morning sickness but some woman swear by it. 
  • I've been using the sea bands. Maybe they work, I don't feel great by any means, so can't b doing to much
  • My doc said no to Dramamine
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What about Benadryl? It helps prevent nausea and will help you sleep on the plane.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^this. I've heard Benadryl as well but confirm with your dr for your specific case. GL. You couldn't pay me to fly right now blech! Hope you're going somewhere fun!
  • @HBamama2B , the last thing I want to do is get a plane! I got a new job the day I found out I was pregnant and have to fly to a one week training. I'm a nervous wreck about it. I'm almost to the point I want to tell them I can't go. I can't even ride in the car two blocks without puking. Not to mention I'm terrified something bad will happen when I'm in another state away from DH and family.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How long is the flight?

If I were you, I would try to get an aisle seat. I'm also a total nervous person, so j would tell the flight attendant (and let other people hear), people are so understanding and the flight attendant will make sure you are comfortable. a big part of the nausea for me is the embarrassment part if I gag, but if people know you are pregnant, they will be totally understanding. And then you will be less nervous! And hopefully less nervous!

Also, I'd bring ginger ale, gum, jolly ranchers, carb-y snacks (bagel, chips, crackers) and they actually sell online some cute little barf bags for pregnancy so in case you need it, you have it and it's not a gross bag that's been sitting on the plane for months.

Also bring magazines and a movie to distract yourself during the flight.

Good luck! You will be totally fine! The nervousness about it is the worst part. It will be over before you know it.
  • I disagree with the PP and would definitely recommend a window seat. I flew at 6wks and have been fortunate not to have bad MS, just some very mild nausea, EXCEPT when the plane had to make a huge turn during the descent and everyone remotely around me had closed the window shades. NOT pleasant. When the plane turns like that I really think it helps to be able to look out the window and see the horizon so your inner ear is less confused- if you're in the window seat you control whether your shade is open!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions- I won't lie- I'm contemplating not even going =( The way I feel I just don't know how I'm going to make it through long training days and the flights. It's all I can do to get out of bed!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use acupuncture (also known as motion sickness) bands. One on each wrist. they are a god send.
  • Hi. Yes, I definitely agree with using sea bands. I have been sick as a dog with nausea from migraines combined with morning sickness and they have been amazing!