3rd Trimester
Options

Epidural vs Natural

I hate needles. Hate hate hate. And the thought of a thing being wedged in my spine really freaks me out. Also my aunt had one and they did it wrong and she started leaking spinal fluid and was almost paralyzed. Also I don't want a catheter to pee, I'd like to be able to get up and move around and I know you can't do that once you get the epi. BUT. I suck with pain. Like I cried like a baby when I got my IV last week. So I almost feel like natural birth would be too unbearable for me.
So lay your personal experiences on me! :)

Re: Epidural vs Natural

• Options
    I really don't think it's something that someone can advise you on. You just need to do research on the benefits/risks of epidural vs birth without epidural & decide what fits your goals most closely. Pain is subjective.
  • Options

I really don't think it's something that someone can advise you on. You just need to do research on the benefits/risks of epidural vs birth without epidural & decide what fits your goals most closely. Pain is subjective.

I know all the basic facts on both. I'm just asking for personal experiences.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly with my DD's birth, the epidural didn't take on one side, led to a very, very painful c-section. Then again I wasn't vocal on my wants/needs and I didn't have as much information as I do now. Go in informed and knowing what you want. Voice your concerns with your OB and see what s/he says. I found the numbing shot to be more painful than the actual epidural and I'm expecting the same with the spinal block I'm getting here in a week. 
  • Options
    This is number 5 for me and I am not going to have an epidural this time. With my first I did not have one; however I should have practiced and used my birthing techniques more. With my second I had an epidural and it worked well and was a short labor. My third, the epidural wore off on my right side; however, the doctor and nurses fixed it right away and it went smoothly. With my fourth, it was an aweful experience. They placed it wrong the first time. When they were fixing it they kept moving it around - it was horrible. The medicine never took. I ended up with my heart rate dropping because of it and needed medicine to bring my rate back up. Baby's rate dropped and they almost took me back for an emergency C-section, but did not need it. The epidural never took and I ended up using breathing techniques and going without pain meds. The bummer was that for 6-8 months after the baby half of my right foot was numb, which I was told was normal and not to worry about it. Thy said it was a bruised never caused by the epidural. It Was very uncomfortable. I will not be doing an epidural again.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your input. You're right, it's probably not a decision I need to make right now, and I'll probably just see how deep into labor I can get before screaming for meds (if I do at all). @lemomof5 I cannot imagine how horrible that would have been, I'm so sorry you went through that.
  • Options
    I think you should research other pain relief options (medicated and not) because there aren't only 2 options, epidural or nothing. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    1st had epidural- wore off halfway through and hurt like hell.
    2nd- 4th had epidural and everything was smooth sailing.
    5th had epidural and spinal block- didn't like the spinal block because I felt TOO numb and it took forever to get feeling back. For a few days after I had the worst migraines of. My. Life (I've grown up with them but these were ridiculous). Turns out the spinal block left a pin hole sized leak in my spinal fluid. I was advised (by my nurse) to drink a ton of caffeine one afternoon and it would patch itself. Two 2 liters of Mountain Dew and a large coffee later it was completely better. All I had to do at that point was come down off that crazy sugar high.
    I plan to have just the epidural with this one again as I've had mostly good experiences with it. I refuse to ever have a spinal block again.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    You could also ask your doctor if there are any other pain medications that would take the edge off without having to get an epidural. My doctor offers several options other than epidural (although I plan on going without, it's nice to know epidural isn't the only option if I cave). Do research on all the options before committing to one.
  • Options

You could also ask your doctor if there are any other pain medications that would take the edge off without having to get an epidural. My doctor offers several options other than epidural (although I plan on going without, it's nice to know epidural isn't the only option if I cave). Do research on all the options before committing to one.

Good point. However I have never really heard a lot of positive reviews on the alternatives. Most of what I have heard is that it has only a small impact on the pain and can make you feel drunk.

• Options
    marajay6 said:
    Good point. However I have never really heard a lot of positive reviews on the alternatives. Most of what I have heard is that it has only a small impact on the pain and can make you feel drunk.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    I should also add, from my limited experience it seems like it would be awfully exhausting to go through labor without an epidural. The focus you need on your breathing to get through the contraction pains takes a lot of mental energy while labor is pretty physically exhausting. When the contractions start coming very quickly, it can wear you out very quickly. With an epidural, you are very relaxed and don't feel any pain. You can nap and just hanging out with your husband or whoever you have in the room with you. I was between a 7 and 8 when I got my epidural. It was a complete 180 to go from trying to make it through each contraction to just being able to lay back and relax.

• Options
    marajay6 said:

Definitely research this...we learned in my childbirth class that medication given via epidural will not reach or affect the baby at all (as it never reaches your bloodstream), but medicines given via IV (as most of these alternatives are) wind up in your bloodstream and absolutely reach the baby.  So if your issue is simple pain management, these might be for you.  If you are a person that doesn't want an epi because you don't want your baby to be medicated, seriously consider this.  These alternatives aren't harmful to the baby, but it will reach them.  The hospital i delivered at wouldn't allow you to continue on IV drugs once you were dilated to a certain point because they wanted it to be out of the baby's system by the time it was born.

I knew going into it that i wanted an epi.  i was hoping to wait until i was 6cm to get it so that it wouldn't slow labor down.  Well, i had a sunny-side-up baby and excruciating back labor for almost 7 hours before i was admitted and could get the epi placed (long story short, the triage nurses were baffoons who refused to believe i was in labor despite contractions every 2 minutes...it took my water breaking right in front of them for them to believe it.  Apparently they "couldn't find" my cervix?  WTF).  So when i got it i was actually 6cm.  Knowing that's what 6cm feels like made me wish i had gotten it closer to 4.  The epi worked really well - no pain but i could feel the pressure when a contraction was starting so i knew when to push and how hard i was pushing.  My legs just felt like they were asleep basically.  i felt sensation when DD crowned, when she came out, and when i delivered the placenta.  i actually told the doctor the placenta was coming.  DD was on my chest and i was like "oh...i think the placenta is on its way out" and the doctor was like "yup." :-)

Regarding the cath, i had one for laproscopic surgery three years ago and HATED it.  i was semi-awake when it was removed and i remember it being horrible and feeling like i had to pee constantly for like two days afterwards.  However, for the birth, when they placed it it was painless (the epi had already taken) and i immediately felt like my bladder was completely empty (because it was).  That day i felt like i had to pee every time i had a contraction, and after the cath i actually said to DH "this is the best thing that has ever happened to me, this is the first time my bladder has felt empty in like 4 months."  he was like "i don't think you know what you're saying" haha.  but it seriously was glorious.  i didn't feel them remove it and didn't have any after-effects.

I don't even remember them removing the epi, but i stayed in the delivery room for about 2 hours post-delivery and i was able to walk to the bathroom on my own at that point before moving over to recovery.  i had no lingering issues afterwards.  Highly recommend, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat (hopefully i won't have straight up back labor next time, so i won't need it so early!)

• Options
    For me labor was excruciating, I was begging for an epidural. My epidural was amazing and allowed me to relax enough my labor actually progressed more quickly after receiving it. I had a push button that allowed me to administer more if needed but I didn't use it since I wanted to be able to feel contractions when I got to the point of pushing.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    I'm in baby #3 and planning on doing a med free labor this time. With my other two I did end up getting epidurals and they didn't work for me either time. I still felt every single contraction and the pain that came with it. I ended up screwing myself over because even though they didn't work for me, I wasn't allowed to get up because I was still numb in my legs. There are a lot of natural pain relief options for someone who's doing a med free birth. Changing positions, massages, birth balls, getting in a tub or shower. I recommend looking into options like that if you'd like to steal clear of needles and what not.
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't consider other pain meds because of how my body reacts to any sort of drug. When I got in a wreck, they thought I broke my neck, and the pain meds they gave me made me vomit and cry because I had no control over all of my motor functions. (I'm not good at drinking, and I'd be the worst druggie ever.) I've tried so many different ones and have just decided it's best for me to deal with pain, lol. I know epidurals are just a nerve blocker so I know it won't make me loopy, it's just the thought of the catheter and needle and ick
  • Options

Natural labor was the most horribly painful thing I've ever experience in my whole life. Of course I've forgotten specifics about the pain itself but I can remember honestly feeling like I was going to die. Like the pain would kill me. I didn't make it to the hospital in time to get the Epidural I so desperately wanted and had with my first child. I felt like a bad ass afterward though. I pushed a 9 pound baby out without drugs of any kind but I would never ever do it again that way.

I never took a birthing class with either pregnancies but I don't think even the worlds best breathing techniques would have made a med free delivery any easier for me. Less scary maybe.

• Options
    For me I don't recall the epidural hurting at all or the catheter bothering me. The Dr was pretty good at making sure I didn't see the needle. The epi allowed me to rest a short while after 10 hours of labor at home and a long sleepless night before it was time to push. It wore off pretty quickly and I don't think the catheter was in long. I was begging them to take out the IV in my hand more than anything because that is what was bothering me the most!
    If you plan to try med-free I'd suggest taking some classes!
    Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Options
    I had an epidural with both of my pregnancies, the first i laboured for 6hrs at home over night then 4hrs in hospital, for me the pain was unbearable and after 10hrs I was exhausted. The epidural came like a gift from the Angels I was able to snooze through the worst of my contractions and push when I needed too. No side effects no pain. Second baby 15months later I elected for an epidural almost as I walked in the labour room. 6hrs later I had a baby in my arms, again no problems with side effects and I was home feeling rested and well the next day. I have number 3 due in two weeks, birth plan is epidural straight up.
    It's worked for me, I experienced enough pain with number 1 to know that I didn't want to do the same with no 2 and like wise for number 3.
    Good luck
  • Options
    After my first I really don't see a reason for an epidural. Lol. She was a 45+ hour labor. I ended up needing pitocin due to her positioning and she was born sunny side up, all without an epi. My second was 10 hours and med free, also born sunny side up. The 3rd should be here sometime within the next week. Planning on med free again. :).
  • Options
    Epidural = awesome. Bless the anesthesiologists and keep them happy and well.

I understand about your concern about the needle in the back tho. Its a effing scary ass thought. I'm not really bad with needles, but I'm not good with them, either. I'm OK if I close my eyes or look away while they poke me, and then after that I'm home free. But I cannot watch myself being poked. So I advised my nurses and the Dr that I did not want my usual curiosity satisfied (I like to see things and know how they work) regarding the epidural until after it was removed. The anesthesiologist kind of gave me a bit of play by play ('I'm prepping the skin now, I'm numbing the general area now, OK be sure to hold still now'... That kind of stuff) which I appreciated because it satisfied my curiosity without giving me too many details. Also, by then I was REALLY distracted and concentrating on the pain.

After the epidural, smooth sailing. I was able to rest and nap for an hour before I felt baby in position and it was time to push. I felt each contraction and when I needed to push, but was relieved of my pain and was able to focus on pushing. I did not feel them place or remove the catheter for my bladder. I do remember similar to what PP said, tho, about feeling my bladder empty for the first time in a long time, that was pretty nice.
    Once the birth was over and the epidural was removed I went ahead and looked at it. Pretty neat, actually.

No residual pain in that area afterward, either. I actually had more soreness in my upper back / abs / shoulder area from pushing (when pushing from a lying position you're essentially doing crunches, your core gets a great workout) than from the placement of the epidural.

Also, a note about the 'other' pain options to 'take the edge off'. I had heard before my labor they lose effectiveness as you use them, but I tried anyway. My first dose helped some, my second dose was almost useless. It held me together (barely) until the anesthesiologist arrived to place my epidural (which I had asked for when they gave me my second one hour dose of 'take the edge off' meds, I knew it would take 30-45 minutes for the anesthesiologist to arrive) but other than that it was pretty much pointless

If you end up going without the epidural, great. But try not to let your fear rule your decision.

Congrats on your baby. Best wishes for your labor
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just have to add- the epidural is done mid-contraction as your sitting on the side of the hospital bed with a hunch in your back. During every one of my labors I've been much more focused on making it through the contraction than the epidural being placed (because I wait until I just can't take the contractions anymore to ask for the epidural). I would say they're well worth it when done correctly and just to be honest, I'd never attempt to give birth without one unless I had to lol. I have a lot of respect for the women that go med free, it's just not my cup of tea (I had 1 epidural wear off and that was excruciating).
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so I can't speak from experience, but I'm planning to go natural and have done quite a bit of research.  I've also talked a lot to friends who have successfully had unmedicated births, as well as those who intended to do so but ended up getting an epidural.  The most important thing I've learned is that if you want to have an unmedicated birth, you really have to plan for it.   

Up until recently, I had the naive idea that if I wanted an unmedicated hospital birth, I would just show up to the hospital the same as any other woman in labor and then just NOT request an epidural.  In reality, virtually all the people I've talked to who have successfully had an unmedicated birth have had a doula AND taken some form of natural childbirth course in advance (Hypnobabies, Bradley Method, etc.).  The reason why having a doula with you is helpful -- even if you're baby is being delivered by an OB in hospital -- is that they can help you with different positions during different phases of labor.  Your OB won't show up until the very end, and the nurses aren't going to be by your side the entire time either.  Whereas women with epidurals can just lay in bed while in labor, women who successfully have unmedicated births tend to be doing other things -- walking around, using a birthing ball, birth pool, etc.  Everything I've heard seems to indicate that laying in a hospital bed while in labor will likely result in requesting an epidural. 
  • Options
    whit3183whit3183 member
    edited November 2015
    ^^^ I think you missed the point of my post, which was not anti-OB or anti-nurse in any way.  I love my OB, and from the time I've spent getting tests done in the L&D department of the hospital where I'm delivering, the nurses are great as well.  But at least in my area, L&D nurses are typically assigned to a couple patients at a time, so they're in and out of your room and can't sit with just one single patient the entire time.  Also, depending on when you check in and when the shift change occurs, you might actually have multiple nurses over the course of your labor.  

The point of my post was just to say that from those I've talked to, unmedicated childbirth can be really tough, so you benefit by having someone (such as a doula) that you KNOW will be with you throughout your entire labor.  Doulas do not replace nurses and OBs;  they can give ideas on coping techniques during labor and provide emotional support, but by definition, they do not give medical input.  So my suggestion that someone considering natural childbirth might want to hire a doula in by means implies that doctors or nurses should play less of a role than they otherwise would. 
  • Options
    blansawblansaw member
    edited November 2015
    I went with the wait and see what happens approach.  I went to the classes, got the info, and kept an open mind. And I'm glad I did.
    My water broke, but I never went into active labor.  They "induced" me 12 hours after my water broke to try to get things moving, but my body just wouldn't open up.  I was dilating about a 1/2 cm every 1-2 hours.  They asked if I would consider an epidural to try to relax my body and see if things would move along. So I did. I don't think my contractions were that bad, but I didn't want a C-section if I didn't need one. Finally, after 33 hours I was far enough along it was time to push. 1-2-3 and she was out. I am thankful that my Dr let me do things naturally as long as I didn't show signs of an infection. And by naturally, I mean vaginally. 

So for me, if I wouldn't have had the epidural I probably would have had to have a C-Section sooner or later. 

When things start happening go with what makes you comfortable, and don't let others push you around about your personal decision. If you are in too much pain, get some meds. If you can handle it, way to go!  OR things may take you down a different path.  Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    ^^ this post brings up a very good point. I had been progressing slowly ALL DAY. I had to be induced due to being 41 weeks and AMA, so I checked in at 1cm dilated and barely progressed enough to 2cm with cervadil over the course of 4 hours - walking the entire time. They were able to break my water, and I barely progressed again to close to 3cm over the next 4 hours - still walking the entire time. Started pitocin drip and amped it up slowly (every half hour) but STILL would progress SO slowly. I forget what I was at when I called for the epidural, maybe a 6? But once I got the epidural, and was able to relax, I went from 6 to almost 10 in less than an hour. I know its also possible that I could have dilated that quickly without the epidural, sure. Especially with the pitocin involved. But I know I've heard from other women as well that they were able to 'open up' more during lengthy labors after an epidural
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    blansaw said:
    I went with the wait and see what happens approach.  I went to the classes, got the info, and kept an open mind. And I'm glad I did.
    My water broke, but I never went into active labor.  They "induced" me 12 hours after my water broke to try to get things moving, but my body just wouldn't open up.  I was dilating about a 1/2 cm every 1-2 hours.  They asked if I would consider an epidural to try to relax my body and see if things would move along. So I did. I don't think my contractions were that bad, but I didn't want a C-section if I didn't need one. Finally, after 33 hours I was far enough along it was time to push. 1-2-3 and she was out. I am thankful that my Dr let me do things naturally as long as I didn't show signs of an infection. And by naturally, I mean vaginally. 

So for me, if I wouldn't have had the epidural I probably would have had to have a C-Section sooner or later. 

When things start happening go with what makes you comfortable, and don't let others push you around about your personal decision. If you are in too much pain, get some meds. If you can handle it, way to go!  OR things may take you down a different path.  Good luck with everything!
    Thank you for this! :) Using "natural" to describe medication free labor is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    kqualls5kqualls5 member
    edited November 2015
    I want DH and my mom with me. And L&D nurses. Not some lady we hired to be there.. The idea is weird to me. Maybe for some a doula is the most fitting option and they love it. But it's not for me.

I definitely like the "wait and see what happens" approach.

Also as for "natural" to describe med free, that is the way it's always been used in my life. Natural doesn't mean superior by any means, it just means you didn't use pain relief.. Didn't mean to offend anyone!!
  • Options
    your body helps you with the pain with special hormones so you feel kind of out of it... 
  • Options
    cmerriburycmerribury member
    edited November 2015
    kqualls5 said: I want DH and my mom with me. And L&D nurses. Not some lady we hired to be there.. The idea is weird to me. Maybe for some a doula is the most fitting option and they love it. But it's not for me. I definitely like the "wait and see what happens" approach. Also as for "natural" to describe med free, that is the way it's always been used in my life. Natural doesn't mean superior by any means, it just means you didn't use pain relief.. Didn't mean to offend anyone!! ***********************************************************************************************************
    I'm sure you weren't trying to offend. :) I know it's a pervasive usage, which has normalized it. However, there are some who
    do use it with the attempt to be superior and it irks me. I agree with you on having Mom and husband at your side (my Mom was significantly more helpful than my terrified husband). I went into labor a month early, on the day I was scheduled to take all of my birthing classes and learn how to "breathe" through the pain. Even if I did intend to go medication free (which I did not) I would not have been prepared. Due to this, I would suggest scheduling these classes early if you are planning to rely on the techniques. Best of luck!

Edited because quotes didn't work. Again. Sigh. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm a ftm, so take this with a grain of salt. My opinion is that if you go in thinking you NEED pain meds and you can't labor without them, well, you won't be able to. Your mind is your strongest asset and the "pain" of labor is meant to be productive. I've watched my sister have 5 babies, all different ways, and it's amazing what a woman's body can do. No matter what you choose, just be educated and know what goes along with each intervention.
  • Options
    I know some people are offended by the term "natural birth." I was just curious -- my OB says "physiological birth," when speaking about a non-medicated vaginal birth. Do people find this less offensive?
  • Options
    I have a pretty low pain tolerance and I'm deathly afraid of needle. With my daughter I had the epidural. I labored 23 hours at home by myself before I got it. I think it was more exhaustion than anything. By the time my MIL got me to the hospital I hadn't eaten since labor started and I was sad that DH had just deployed and the thought of a giant needle in my spine the offered relief was so welcome lol. I was in a very different state of mind by the time I got it. With that said, I didn't even feel it. I was hanging on to the nurse and asked if they were going to do it yet and the nurse told me they were done lol. With that said, I wouldn't get it again unless I absolutely had to. I had a really hard time pushing. I pushed for a very long time and once the epidural wore off I pushed her out pretty quickly. Because it took so long for me to push her out she had some minor complications at birth. I also have had lingering pain in the injection spot ever since and DD is 2. I'll be going for a med free water birth this time.
  • Options
    whit3183 said:

. And some people don't even get to "choose" medical interventions -- it may be medically necessary to induce labor or perform a c-section.  Anything can happen, so it's important not to judge other peoples' choices!

100% this!

I planned a med free water birth but within minutes of arriving at the hospital I was told that wasn't going to happen as there was meconium in my waters and they needed to induce me asap, after 8 hours of excruciating labour they then discovered that baby was breech and her heart rate was dropping and I needed an emergency section. Was my baby's birth what I planned? Not even close! However, medical intervention was needed to ensure my daughter entered this world the safest way for both of us and if anyone judges me for this I will damn well put them firmly in their place. I felt unbelievable guilt after my section as I thought I had let my daughter and my SO down by not being able to go naturally and do what our bodies are designed to do. It's taken me a while to realise this is bull, I didn't do what I had planned but I wasn't a failure as I did bring a life into this world in the safest way possible after unexpected complications so the only judgement I (and people like me) should get is understanding for doing what is best for our babies. The same applies to everyone, you have to do what you believe is best for you and your baby when in labour, whether that be med free or not, and if anyone judges you for the decisions you make tell them to go to hell!

Sorry for ranting, this is still a very emotive subject for me.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM as well and am faced with filling out the birth plan form. Fortunately, my hospital has guidelines they adhere to, which they spell out and then offer you multiple choice on things you have control over. Guidelines like they don't offer scheduled c-sections for convienence (which believe it or not is a popular option where I live) and there are spaces to fill in your medical issues, concerns, fears, etc. and this makes me feel better. I also got an anesthesia consult because I'm an anesthesia risk. I feel really well taken care of, but I know I'm in for the 30 hour plus labor (mom an sis both over the 30 hr mark with both kids). It's interesting that the ladies facing these births said the epidural sped up this process. I will definitely ask this question. I want to avoid a c-section due to the recovery process, but understand that it's much better to have one when faced with complications. No one wants to end up with a bad outcome! But seriously, I still can't believe there are judg-ey people over these things. We're all different and after surviving infertility failures only to get pregnant naturally after we gave up - I'm just super thrilled that I'm getting a new baby to take home! Isn't that the point?