May 2016 Moms

Announcing the pregnancy!

Has everyone already told their friends and family about the pregnancy?!? I'm at 10wk 4d and still wondering if I should wait until the 1st trimester is over!

Re: Announcing the pregnancy!

• I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow. We just told my mom, sisters and in laws after our first u/s on Wednesday. I ordered our pregnancy announcement today which will go out to extended family by next week! I'm planning on telling coworkers around 12 weeks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • seasalt123seasalt123 member
    edited October 2015
    I told select people at different times. 

I told a long time friend first at 7 weeks (who I now don't see very often as she has three kids and lives far away) as she's taken midwifery courses and had three kids so I knew she'd be able to give me a lot of practical advice. She and I are similar people so I knew her advice would be welcomed. Before then, I was always talking to my SO about all my worries and concerns and he was at a loss since he had no practical advice to give me. My friend was able to fulfill that role. 

I told my hair stylist (reluctantly) at 8.5 weeks. I was already overdue to get my hair colored right before I found out I was pregnant so the extra 1.5 months was starting to look really terrible. I am a brunette who highlights and tones her hair blonde so it looked unprofessional as time went on. I had to tell him since I wanted to do foils only to avoid the color getting on my scalp. As I've been seeing him for ten years and have never changed my color plan (plus he just had a baby so he's extremely dialed in to pregnant women), I knew I had to tell him to avoid drama. 

I told my sister at 10 weeks. She broke up with her boyfriend the day I found out I was pregnant and went through a rough time, so I held off on telling her for a while until she felt better. 

I told two other friends after my 12 week ultrasound but they are both aware it's still a secret. 

I finally told my parents two days ago. I wasn't looking forward to it. Not I didn't expect them to be supportive - I just am not a maternal/girly person and I know my mom will start fussing and it will really make me uncomfortable. I told my dad first and enlisted his help in controlling her. They were completely shocked but elated as I've never wanted kids and neither did my sister. 

I haven't told my work yet and I'm dreading that about as much as telling my parents. I'm trying to assess how much longer I can get away with not saying anything. I have another midwife appointment at 14 weeks and maybe I will do it after that appointment. Really interested to know how late some people held off on telling their employers. Like it or not, getting pregnant is not helpful to a woman's career at all, even if the effects are not overt discrimination. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We are telling our parents and siblings this Friday when I will be 10 weeks. My 2 best friends have known the entire time. My direct supervisor knows as well since I've been getting migraines. We will officially tell our jobs and everyone else after 12 weeks. Not in a rush.
  • We've slowly been telling very close family and friends for the past few weeks now. I told my sister today and she was really excited (yay!). I still have to tell my mom - no idea how I'm doing that yet. We aren't very close so it should be interesting to say the least.

No one on DH's side knows yet. Every time we plan on telling someone something always comes up. We were supposed to tell his dad yesterday (he was too busy buying a boat so I got all pissy and told DH he gets to wait till next weekend then when he stops making plans when we tell him not to). We were supposed to tell his mom and sister today but they also both made plans when we had planned to go out for lunch today. So I guess his family will eventually find out.

We will probably be telling work when we get back from vacation. By then I'll be just past 12 weeks and I'll feel more comfortable.

Then sometime after that will come the grand Facebook announcement if I ever get the file from the person on Etsy so I can get the pictures I need taken. :|
  • I went FB official at 11 weeks. Got too excited to wait and I'm an open book anyway.
  • I am 11 weeks and we have started telling a few people. It was just good timing (with relatives, a trip with the kids, etc) but it still makes me a little nervous. I have another Dr's appt soon and then my NT Scan is at 12 1/2 weeks and after that I will tell a lot more. I might even wait until we know the sex to post anything on FB.
  • We just told my family this weekend at my DD's birthday party. They were all so shocked and excited! I've told a few people at work, but not my bosses yet and my hubby already told his coworkers since he took off to come to my first few appts. We have our NT scan next week, after which I'll let my bosses know and then make it Facebook official. :)
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • It's entirely up to you. I've never been good at following the "rules." With this baby, I started telling people at 5 weeks. At that point, it was just the people that needed to know because we spend a lot of time with them. Then we slowly started telling other people. Family was actually some of the last to know. lol. We went FB official at about 10.5 weeks so middle of last week.

We have had a miscarriage and frankly, the fact that people knew about the pregnancy already, made it easier to deal with, not harder. So that made it easy to want to tell people about this pregnancy.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Telling my DH family on Saturday. I will be 11 weeks. We have a Halloween party and its just convenient, since everyone will be there. We are telling my family the following weekend. It's my mom's birthday and my family will be all together. I will be 12 weeks then. Timing is all based on convenience of being able to tell everyone at the same time.