November 2015 Moms
Options

Baby under ribs

For the last few days, baby has taken permanent residence right under my ribs and it's becoming pretty agonising. The pain is so sharp sometimes it feels like my ribs are cracking! I'm struggling to get a decent breath and not able to find a position to sit or sleep that's comfortable at all. If I go on all fours and drop my hips, it relieves the pain but as soon as I stand up, it comes right back. I've tried putting an ice pack under my ribs to see if baby will move away but no luck. I've got another 3 weeks till my due date and really feeling like I can't possibly cope with this until then. Is anyone experiencing similar and found something that works??

Re: Baby under ribs

• Options
    When I was pregnant with DS he got his foot stuck under my ribs at 35 weeks and he never moved until delivery. It was pretty painful and annoying. On his way out he actually cracked my ribs. It was absolutely one of the most painful parts of labor! I still to this day have numbness and tingling around my ribs from that ordeal. It's pretty annoying when they get stuck up there but I don't recall their being a solution.
  • Options
    Ahh I feel terrible for you two! That sounds so aweful :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think there's really a solution. My LO has been kicking my ribs for a while. It's agonizing and I'm so sorry you're having to go through it. Tylenol and patience are the only things I can think of! 

• Options
    Yeah...i can't wear bras...or anything to hold my breast. Because baby has his feet there in my ribs under my right breast....it hurts all around my right side. That is why I just don't want to leave the house. I can't breathe in a bra and can't leave the house without one. No advice...just hang in there ....
  • Options
    I feel your pain. LO has been head down with feet in my ribs since week 30 and it has made it nearly impossible to sleep, I dread going to bed. I'm constantly sore .. I wish there was some way to move him, but he seems comfy. Sorry I don't have any tips, but I'm right there with you...
  • Options
    I've done a heat pack and an ice pack and it got LO to relocate for either or; she's not a fan of such a drastic temperature change. Maybe give that a whirl?
  • Options
    I feel you!The burninggggg under my right rib cage is painful as heck! Something has been lodged under there for weeks now

Great advice @Lolo427 ! I'm going to try that.
  • Options
    I feel like baby is on top of my ribs instead of under but the butt is what is closest to my ribs, feet and hands are along the left side.
  • Options
    Cat/cow yoga positions work for me, at least for a little while anyways.
  • Options
    Just back from the doctor who confirmed baby's feet are under my ribs. Got co-codamol to take for the pain and been advised to lie down with a hot water bottle and wait it out. Nothing else to be done. If baby decides to keep the feet there until the birth then I'll just have to put up with it.
  • Options
    Mine puts his feet in and out of my ribs every day, depending on his position. I would almost rather I kept them there because it hurts when he moves them in and out all day.
    Pelvic tilts- which are like cat/cow stretches in yoga seem to help to move him down some.
    My daughter was 22 inches long so her feet had no where else to be. I have numb spots at the top of my bump still from her that are getting worse now with #2.
  • Options
    One of my twins is breech and her head is under my ribs, I feel your pain. The ice pack doesn't help anymore, I've started to really pay attention to what positions are manageable. Other than trying to move into comfortable positions i'm out of ideas too, I have noticed if I reposition often it helps to keep her away from the bruised rib a little more. Hang in there!