Breastfeeding

Feeding pattern

My newborn is 2.5 weeks old and she has a very strange eating schedule. She will nurse for hours and not be satisfied and then eventually fall asleep for a very long time. I woke her up to feed 3 hours after she finished eating last time. She fed for a few minutes and fell asleep on my breast. She's totally out. I'm concerned she will not develop a normal routine.
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeding pattern

• This is normal for a newborn. Just feed on demand. If she has regained birth weight and has no other weight gain issues, you can probably let her sleep.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • She's regained it. But is there a point where she sleeps too long? One night my alarm didn't wake me and she slept like 5 or 6 hours. I woke up as I heard her fuss around in her bassinet. I felt really guilty.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO would sleep 5 or 6 hours between feelings for the first 2 weeks. He now eats every 2 hours or so. His pediatrician wasn't concerned because he had actually surpassed his birth weight. We talked about this at his 4 week check and the doctor said it's common for newborns to be more interested in sleeping at first. Good weight gain means she's getting enough to eat though.
    Married May 2012
    BFP 1/20/15 Baby boy due September 25!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sounds like you are describing cluster feeding which is totally normal. Baby is tanking up for the night. When my baby was a newborn, she would cluster feed right before a stretch of sleep. I just nursed on demand. She went into a routine on her. I think by 6 weeks or so. You have plenty of time .