Maine Babies
Options

MaineGeneral, anyone? Or VBAC anywhere?

Hello!  Looks like there aren't many people around here, but does anyone have any thoughts about MaineGeneral for prenatal care and delivery?  I delivered at Miles last time and loved it, but I'm trying for a VBAC this time and Miles doesn't do them.
---------------------------------------------------------------
4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  

Re: MaineGeneral, anyone? Or VBAC anywhere?

• Options
    I'm a FTM so no VBAC, but I am delivering at Maine Med. I went on the tour and was really impressed. Supposedly it is one of the best places to deliver in the State. I know they fly babies in from all over the State of they need NICU.
  • Options
    I'm planning on delivering at Mercy Hospital in Portland and I know they have really great statistics for everything including one of the lowest cesarean rates in the state. I've heard places like Maine Med and Maine General are very medically oriented and that usually means higher cesarean rates and lower VBAC rates. I highly suggest visiting various places and asking tons of questions especially with regards to their statistics. Some things that might drastically increase your chance of having a VBAC are working with midwives and a doula. Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, here's a link that might be useful for you: https://www.mainemidwives.org/vbac.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I love the idea of Mercy, but it's about 1.5 hours from me and that kind of a drive in labor kind of freaks me out.  MaineGen is only 40 minutes, but I hate that their vbac policy requires constant monitoring (I'd love to labor in the tub - I think).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • Options
    I delivered last week at Maine general and they do offer vbacs I don't know about continuous monitoring for vbacs though with my first I labored in a tub at Thayer and they had tubs in the labor rooms at Maine general. Private message me. LP