November 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone getting a growth scan?

Yesterday at my OB appointment they suggested a growth scan due to my BMI pre-pregnancy. Haven't put that much weight on during the pregnancy but I figured hey I don't mind seeing my little man again.

Then this morning I remembered hearing these scans are really just estimates. I'll be interested to see what size they say he is as my bump measurements have all been on target but my actual bump seems small in comparison to others I've seen.

Just wondering if any other ladies out there are getting one soon :-)

Re: Anyone getting a growth scan?

• Options
    I just had mine on Tuesday, for the same reason as you, I also felt that my bump was small but according to the ultrasound baby is measuring in the 95th percentile! And estimated fetal weight of 7lb13oz already! With 3 weeks to go! These estimates can be out so I'm not freaking out yet but I'm guessing I'll be having a good sized baby
  • Options
    I know I'm having an ultrasound at my 36wk appointment, but honestly she didn't say what for and I didn't ask. I remember I had one around then with my first also, so I'm just excited to see my lo again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just had mine yesterday! My little girl is 6.3 lbs and in the 45th percentile. I keep being told I'm "all baby"! I'm due Nov.9!
  • Options
    I have an ultrasound in one week (for 36 weeks) but she told me it was more to check position etc.
    Even though my belly has not grown for the last three weeks (which may also be why), I can tell she fills it much more lol.

• Options
    My doctor said she may do one next week. We have no idea when I would have ovulated (was on Nuvaring), but EDD according to LMP would have been 11/1. Dating scan pushed EDD out 3 weeks to 11/22. Have measured 2-3 weeks ahead at every appointment since, including at the anatomy scan. Doctor mentioned pushing due date forward 2 weeks (11/8) after the anatomy scan but never officially changed it. If fundal height is still ahead next week, they will schedule a growth scan and discuss officially changing due date.
    However, growth scans are not routine at my practice.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options

I had a scan 2 weeks ago, and he was estimated measuring at 35 1/2 weeks, about 5 lbs. (2 weeks ahead) now I am here at 36 weeks and they want to do one more because  OB wants to deliver early due to high BP.

I've had so many ultrasounds, they kind of hurt...I don't really enjoy them at this point because they never show me his face anymore, they just jab me over and over to take measurements and he gets really angry and kicks harder.

• Options
    I had one done Monday. I get 2 scans a week due to my previa. Maddie is estimated to be 6lb and like 13oz. I'm thinking she's smaller than that though, as Ellie measured big too. I have GD this time and had it last time.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had a growth scan at 33w 4d due to not measuring where need be and weight loss. LO came in at 4lb 11oz and in the 59th percentile.
  • Options
    I've been consistently measuring 3-4 weeks ahead, so my OB requested a scan to check fetal weight. I had the scan about 2.5 weeks ago and baby is measuring right on and in the 50th percentile. The same thing happened with our last child, and I was measuring 44 weeks at 37 weeks! But baby was perfectly fine, no extra fluids, nothing funky going on - it's just something about me and the way I carry. Just hoping the hugeness doesn't make me too uncomfortable this time around!

Good luck on your scan OP!
  • Options
    I have them every three-4 weeks because of twins. At my 34 week scan baby a measured in at 5lbs 7oz and baby b was at 6lbs 1oz....over two weeks ahead. This has been consistent through all of the scans so I know it's not exact but I'm thinking it will be fairly close. We make big babies...my first was 9lbs 2oz at 39 weeks and my second was 6lbs 15oz at 36 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I look small and have been having a hard time putting on weight, and yet family history says he'll be a chunky one. At 34+4 he's measuring at 5lb 13oz. That's so much bigger than the docs expected that I get a bonus scan in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm getting another one.  With DS I had no scans beyond the anatomy scan.  With this pregnancy because I've had low lying placenta, the are checking on distance (the last scan showed it moved just enough to let me deliver vaginally), but my OB is also using it as an excuse to check out the baby's size.  DS was a big surprise (no pun intended) as they estimated him at 7lb (fundal estimate only which is even less accurate than a scan) and he came out at 9lb.  My OB isn't one of those "Oh god induce - the baby is too big".  He more wants to be prepared.
  • Options
    I'm getting one but it's more to look at his position.
  • Options
    carajadep said:

I just had mine on Tuesday, for the same reason as you, I also felt that my bump was small but according to the ultrasound baby is measuring in the 95th percentile! And estimated fetal weight of 7lb13oz already! With 3 weeks to go! These estimates can be out so I'm not freaking out yet but I'm guessing I'll be having a good sized baby

So glad someone was having one for the same reason. I was a 10 lb baby so I'm hoping he's not following in my footsteps lol. My husband of course posed the question of them bumping up my due date due to size! I tell little man every day he's allowed to be on time or a little late otherwise my maternity leave will be over prior to the holidays and who wants that!
  • Options
    I had one last week, one last night, and I'll have another one on Monday!
  • Options
    Mine's mostly for position and checking fluid levels. I had ones last week at 33+4 and he was estimated to be 5lb even. The tech said that is a normal size for that age.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had one at 34 weeks last Monday and have another one scheduled on the 24th because baby has always measured 1-2 weeks ahead. Baby was estimated at 6lbs 2 oz at 34 weeks. I don't have GD or anything. MFM isn't extremely concerned but he mentioned that my baby's head and stomach, while proportionate to each other, are measuring in the 90th percentile while babies arms and legs are in the 50-60th percentile so not quite proportionate to the rest of him. My OB said not to worry but MFM has me worried so hopefully his arms and legs catch up with his tummy and head.
  • Options
    At 33 weeks I was told I was measuring small so they scheduled a growth scan for my 35 week appointment. Baby boy measured completely normal and in the 50th percentile! It's fun to get to see your baby again!
  • Options
    My ob does them around 34-36 weeks for everyone and with both my children they were pretty spot on. I think that is rare though
  • Options
    I just had one today at 36w4d to check position and size. I think it's standard practice for all of my ob's patients. Baby weighs 6 lbs 4 oz and is head down, but sunny side up. So fun to see her again, she looked so cute! Made me cry!
  • Options
    I've been getting one about every 3 weeks. At 34 weeks LO measured 5 lb 3 oz and in the 35% percentile.
  • Options
    Just had my 35 week apt today and they check, baby is 7 pounds and I'm only 35 weeks, slightly panicking!
  • Options
    My doc orders a growth scan yesterday at my regular appointment because she was concerned with the size of baby. Growth scan showed him measuring 37 and 4 instead of 35 and 4 which I actually am. So he might be here sooner than we think!
  • Options
    I have the because of low PAPP-A hormone levels during one of the first screens. Everything has been measuring fine so far. Also, I haven't gained a lot of weight either despite eating well. I gained 16lbs with DD and 17 so far with ~6 weeks to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 34 weeks 2 days and I just had a growth scan. It had been scheduled since the 20 week bc she measured about 1-2 weeks ahead at that time. She is still measuring about a week and a half ahead about 70% percentile in growth overall. Doctor didn't feel concerned about her being too big for birth and another scan is doubtful but baby did weigh an estimated 5lbs 15 oz so we will see.
  • Options
    I have one every Monday to check his growth and movement since I was diagnosed with mild preeclampsia. Like you, I haven't gained much this pregnancy, most of it is all baby, they're guestimating he's at least 7 lbs at 35 weeks. They aren't the most pleasant things to go through (especially coupled with a NST, though I use that as nap time) I try to look at it as I get to see my baby's face again and it makes it more endurable. 
  • Options
    My OB does one at 37 weeks for everyone. will be getting mine Monday. Had one with my first and it was pretty accurate.
  • Options
    I'm having one on Monday, at 36W2D, because I've consistently measured ahead and because MH and I were both larger babies (9lb5oz and 8lb6oz). The doc said they estimate that babies gain about a half pound a week around this point in the pregnancy, so they will use the scan to determine whether or not a c-section may be necessary. She did say that they don't recommend them on a whim. She said that the national average is about 30% of babies born by CS, and my docs' average is about 17%, so that made me feel a little better. I'm scared of a CS, but I'm also scared of baby being too large and/or getting stuck. I'm down to do whatever is best for both of us. I can't believe all of our babies are almost here!
  • Options
    Growth scans can be off by an average of11-19 oz, don't let a doctor's warning of a big baby make you feel like your only choice is early induction or a c section. New studies found that only 1 out of 5 women told they would have a big baby (over 8lbs 13 oz) actually delivered a big baby.
  • Options
    I finally got mine scheduled for Thursday morning. It will put me right at 35 weeks.
  • Options
    I had one two weeks ago, and have another one on the 30th! I have gestational diabetes and he's already supposedly measuring 2 weeks ahead (with a head measuring in the 97th percentile!) so they want to keep an eye on his growth in case he gets too big to deliver a la bagina.
  • Options
    36w 4d and my little one is measuring 7lbs 2 ounces and his head is measuring at 39 weeks and abdomen at 38 weeks! :-S
  • Options
    I just had one because he is measuring two weeks ahead consistently. At 35 weeks 2 days he was 37 weeks 3 days. He's estimated to be 6lbs 9oz in the 51 percentile. I'm starting to show signs of preeclampsia so I'm glad he's a good weight I just want him to cook a little longer.
  • Options
    I just had a scan today at 37w 1d to check position and fluid. They estimated bubs to be 6lbs 12ozs. I got a little scared after being told during the scan about a local lady giving birth to a 11lb something baby!!! But I was reassured that I'm on track for a average sized boy
  • Options
    I had my weekly done yesterday at 35 & 5, he was measuring at 38 weeks and guesstimated around 7.6-7.9 lbs! He's thriving and running out of room! 
  • Options
    Had mine today. LO is currently a little over 5 lbs per their estimate, so he should be a little over 7 if he comes when due. Head is down which explains the strange pressure I've been getting when I'm sitting in my car. 4 weeks 3 days to go!
  • Options
    Despite being a plus size woman i have small babies (my DS was just under 6 pounds when born) so they've done several scans for me at 28/32/36 wks. Mine yesterday showed LO in the 25th percentile and Dr says if he isn't here by due date they may do another scan but project him to be 7lbs at birth. My theory is with so many people having bigger babies these days that averages are off. I've gained a good amount of weight but stayed active walking eat decently and have taken vitamins throughout the pregnancy. I don't have any GD or other preg- related concerns and he's got a good strong hb and the kick counts are there so i will try not to be so concerned.
  • Options
    Mine technically wasn't a growth scan. I had an ultrasound yesterday at 36+3 because doctor thought baby was breach. Turns out she was just "floating" high up, not engaged at all. Her butt felt like her head, I guess.
    Anyway, she is meeasuring at 5lb 4oz +\- 8oz according to the tech. They didn't comment about whether or not that was normal because they were really only concerned about the positioning.
  • Options
    I wish I had another scan scheduled to check size/position but my OB only does them if there are concerns (and I'm VERY grateful that there are no concerns about my LO at this point!). My last was at 30 weeks to check on the status of my partial placenta previa. At that point he was measuring on track to be a big guy...so I'm really curious of what his size estimate would be at this point.
  • Options
    I'll be measuring weekly from here on out (I'm 34+1) because of the GD diagnosis. Just wanted to share this to reassure you gals that these scans aren't that accurate:

I had two yesterday at two different practices, my GD spot and my OB. One said she was 5lb 9oz and in the 74th percentile.

I went to the OB a couple hours later and got 5lbs 13oz in the 65th percentile. That doesn't even make sense in comparison to the other measurement.

So don't worry so much. My midwife told me not to and now I see why. They really depend on who's taking the measurements. I have no clue where the percentages are from.