Baby Names
Options

Mira as a nn for Miranda?

So, DH hates most of the girl names I love (calls them "old lady names").  We both like the name Mira, but I would prefer the kid to have a more formal name and use Mira as a NN.  How do we feel about Miranda?  Miriam, my first choice, is out per DH.  Are there any other names we could get a Mira nn out of that I'm overlooking?
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mira as a nn for Miranda?

• Options
    I could see Mira as a nn for Miranda. The only other suggestions I can think of are: Mirabelle/Mirabella and Mirelle. I personally like Miranda the best. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Since Miriam is out Miranda is a my next fav. I like it. It's underused Mira is a easy nn for it and it's very recognizable although uncommon

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Miranda nn Mira works!!
  • Options
    klirwin82klirwin82 member
    edited October 2015
    Mirabelle or Mireille (if you think people will pronounce it correctly: meer-AY). Or there's the Catalan version, Mireia (meer-AY-ah).
  • Options
    I know a Mirella. That way the nn sounds more like the actual name. I had a Mira in class once and I liked it as her full name. Didn't sound nick namey to me.
  • Options
    I think Mira is actually great on its own and doesn't really read as a nickname, but if you want a longer iteration, Miranda is also lovely.