Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

10 month old not imitating, more...

I'm worried about our 10.5 old son not imitating sounds or gestures. He also does not clap, wave or point. He doesn't reach his arms up to be picked up and doesn't communicate in any way what he wants - we basically assume he's hungry when it's been a few hours and he is getting fussy. His eye contact is fleeting though strangely enough it's better with strangers (which reminds me, no stranger anxiety whatsoever). He does not seem to recognize words or understand what we are saying to him (I should mention that we speak 2 languages at home though). Rarely responds to his name (I think he's just responding to the sound, not his name).

On the positive side, he started crawling at 6.5 months, pulling up to a stand and cruising around furniture at about 8 months. Started babbling at 9 months. Overall he seems pretty happy, laughs and smiles and is extremely active. He doesn't show any "concerning" symptoms like staring into space, no sensory issues and sleeps pretty well.

Has anyone else had a child with similar delays? Or are those even considered delays?

Re: 10 month old not imitating, more...

• Options
    I think if you're concerned, maybe call your pedi. Maybe they can get him evaluate for early intervention. My fried had her baby in early intervention at 10 months because he wasn't crawling and now he pulling up to standing. Anytime I have even minor concerns in sending an email or calling the pedi. They are probably sick of me by now but I figure, better get on whatever it is early before it becomes a bigger problem.
  • Options
    Speak up with your Dr my daughter just turned 11m. Smiles all the time happiest baby but didn't respond really reasons to noise like she should babbles constantly but no mama baba ect ..... Had hearing test ABR last week and she has severe to profound hearing loss both ears. See ENT next week :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @nitsirk86 I'm so sorry you are going through this. Hopefully with early intervention you can correct some of her issues!! FX it's something they can fix, like draining fluid.

I would ask the pediatrician. Not that I think anything is wrong with your lo, necessarily, just that if you are concerned it is wise just to ask. Especially with a well visit two months away, it's bee gong crazy thinking about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am also worried about my baby...   he does not crawl, but he is starting to slide backwards on his tummy.  He doesn't pull up to stand yet.  He is a very happy baby though.  He loves to laugh and smile.  He does roll around.  He babbles but he still hasn't said mama or Papa or Tata or anything, unless it comes out by accident.  He doesn't imitate or kiss.  He makes eye contact and loves playing with his toys and watching baby tv.  He also just learned how to clap and do some actions to a simple baby song.  I spoke to the pediatrician about my concerns and she just told me that all babies develop at their own rate, and there is no need to be concerned.  I really hope that she is right.  My baby will be 10 months on May 21st.