June 2015 Moms
Options

Still Swaddling?

2»

Re: Still Swaddling?

• Options
    It's supposed to make them feel more secure. She only woke up once last night and the other times I woke up to see her sort of moving around she settled herself back down and never cried. Who knows how tonight will go. My cousins swore by it so was desperate to try it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My personal opinion of the Zipadee Zip can be summed up by saying...LO is back in her Halo sack. I had such high hopes, but I actually hated her hands within the sack but free to move because that meant she was still wanting to suck her hands through the sack. Disgusting, soggy, cold hands! And when they'd dry - yuck! I think she just needed about a week or so to get used to having her arms out and now she's doing better in the Halo again. This is just one opinion though! I know it clearly works for some people and that's awesome - we all need our sleep! So, anyone need a size small Zipadee Zip?! Hahaha
  • Options
    Are the babies hot in the Merlin?
  • Options
    I bought breathable bumpers today. Was hoping not to but she's wilin out lately. Might invest in this Merlin voodoo magic suit if you all give me the go-ahead. Even though she is far from rolling over in real life on her mat, in her crib she is one leg kick away from suffocation and wakes up crying in the middle of the night on her side, so off the swaddle teat we must go (makes me want to cry). She's was such a good sleeper but the 4 month regression is creeping in and this mama is yawning.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    btm013 said:

Are the babies hot in the Merlin?

I put my LO in a short sleeved onsie and socks. I did go with the cotton option over the micro fleece for breathability. We keep our house around 70-71 at night.
  • Options

I bought breathable bumpers today. Was hoping not to but she's wilin out lately. Might invest in this Merlin voodoo magic suit if you all give me the go-ahead. Even though she is far from rolling over in real life on her mat, in her crib she is one leg kick away from suffocation and wakes up crying in the middle of the night on her side, so off the swaddle teat we must go (makes me want to cry). She's was such a good sleeper but the 4 month regression is creeping in and this mama is yawning.

LO naturally likes to sleep on his side and would end up all over the crib too. One thing I really like about the suit is it keeps LO on his back since it does restrict some of his movements. LO is rolling over on his mat but not able to in the Merlin suit. When they are able to roll over in the suit is when you are supposed to no longer use it.
  • Options
    Ok first night not swaddled went great although I don't know what to do his little hands were cold I don't think he noticed I would say cover them but he likes to put them in his mouth. Hmm any ideas?
  • Options
    dalinhardtdalinhardt member
    edited September 2015
    mjschenk said:

Ok first night not swaddled went great although I don't know what to do his little hands were cold I don't think he noticed I would say cover them but he likes to put them in his mouth. Hmm any ideas?

This happens with my LO too, and I did some looking into it and most of the answers I found were as long as LOs torso is warm not to worry about their hands being cool, as they start to move more their circulation will improve. I did read about some moms putting socks on LOs hands but personally I would opt for mits if your really concerned. I would think socks being too tight would interfere with bone development in the hands. At least with mits LO has the ability to move their fingers.
  • Options
    It's so weird, LO is 17 weeks and has ZERO interest in rolling in any direction when she's on her mat. She hangs out on her belly happily, and is a lump on a log on her back. But in her crib she is one strong breeze away from rolling back to tummy. Weird child.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options

My son is a total swaddle addict. Two options for sleep: being held or being swaddled. He's been rolling front to back for the last 7 weeks, and back to side for about 3 weeks now, so we decided to transition last week. Complete disaster. We had a Merlin Magic Sleepsuit priority shipped and it's been a God-send. I highly recommend it for transitioning out of swaddles.

Both arms in & my LO calms, otherwise she's fussy & all over the place. Just started using the large swaddle me's. Had no idea about the Merlin sleep suit. We will definitely give that a try. We just started playing the same music for LO before naps & bedtime so hoping she will start to associate that with sleeping like she does with swaddling so that when we transition her out of swaddling we'll still have one of our sleep cues. So far it seems to be working. We put it on & she almost always stops fussing. It's the butterfly music with flute on the Relax Melodies app. My sister used it with her kids & I swear it's magic!
  • Options
    jenglish418jenglish418 member
    edited October 2015
    How are you using the sleep suit? We bought one like two weeks ago,fed her put her in the suit left her in the crib to have her scream bloody murder 5 minutes later.we tried feeding her in the suit and then laying her down when the same thing happened! So back to the swaddle and rock n play she went,well the last two nights she rolled over on her side in the rock n play while swaddled and scared me half to death so out went the rock n play and the first night in her bassinet swaddled was horrific so I really want to try the sleep suit again !!
  • Options
    @jenglish418 My baby also sleeps swaddled in the rnp but I'm only going to work on one transition at a time. First rnp -> crib then swaddled -> unswaddled. I wouldn't try the sleep suit until she's already sleeping ok in the crib. Or, conversely, don't try the crib until she's already sleeping ok in the sleep suit.
  • Options
    @jenglish418 we change his diaper, put him in the suit, I nurse him and then rock him until almost asleep and then we put him in the pack and play. We've never been able to lay him down completely awake and have him go to sleep on his own, but we did have success transitioning from rock and play to pack and play using the suit. Also, maybe try to suit for shorter periods like naptimes?
  • Options
    Another suit lover here! 16 weeks and we've been using it for about a month. I don't feed LO right before his initial bedtime so we do that feed out of the suit. But for his night wakings I unzip him but leave him in the suit while breastfeeding. He either wears a short sleeve onesie or just a diaper with it (depending on whether he spits up all over his onesie at some point in the night).
  • Options
    beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited October 2015
    I posted on September 22 and now it's oct 8. Baby is rolling to his side which is freaking me out afraid he might roll to belly at night while swaddled. He upgraded to his big boy crib about a week ago and he is doing just fine. I think it's time to transition him. Maybe I'll try one arm out tonight...... Oh my, but I love my sleep too. Any of you ladies got baby to sleep out of the swaddle?

ETA: he naps just fine unswaddled in his rock and play during the day. I wish he could do the same in his crib.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Well ladies. It's 545 and DD and I have been up since 4am on our first attempt at going without a swaddle....guess who won't be doing this tomorrow night
  • Options
    I have not been swaddling for about a month now and the first couple nights were rough but now lo sleeps with his arms up next to his head and sleeps great! My sister swaddled her baby til 6 months and he was a great sleeper when swaddled but now at 7 months she's still having a terrible time with him! She thinks he got too used to it and regrets not unswaddling earlier!
  • Options
    addingonaddingon member
    edited October 2015
    ^^ This was my experience too! First few nights weren't the best, but I think I was much more anxious than her. She got back into her groove and she's been unswaddled for about a month now. She rolls both ways now so it needed to happen.

ETA Thought I needed something else for the "in between" stage so I bought a Zipadee Zip. Hated that thing because she'd suck on the hands part and get it all cold and soggy. She was fine without it.
  • Options
    I just ordered me the Merlin sleep suit! 1 day shipping is just not fast enough!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Just wanted to chime in that I'm terrified to transition LO out of the swaddle. He's an excellent sleeper at night (so-so during the day) and I really am afraid to ruin a good thing. We've been doing one arm out the last couple nights and he's been doing just fine. He usually wakes up sucking his thumb now, which is pretty adorable. I know I should try two arms out, I'm just so scared!
  • Options
    Merlin arrived today! Testing during nap time! Got the cotton version. Baby is 26 inches long. He fits perfectly in the size 6-9 months.

@btm013 @swiebe @mellymar @KonaCoffeeBean @ksimo6
    Pregnancy Ticker