June 2015 Moms
Options

Still Swaddling?

Any moms out there still swaddling their LO's? I've read it's best to stop by 4 months but my guy sleeps sooo much better and seems all around more content. We are using the halo sleep sack swaddles so he can still kick his legs. Just curious what others are doing!

Re: Still Swaddling?

• Options
    caitlincunncaitlincunn member
    edited September 2015
    We swaddled for a few days after coming home from hospital and that was really it. My lo is 14 weeks tomorrow and has been taking crappy naps so I ordered one of the halo sleep sack swaddle (I assume same as yours) and we've been using it since then - maybe a week. I've noticed it's easier to put her down once she's asleep since she doesn't feel like she's falling and her arms don't wake her up. She's still taking crappy 40 minute naps though. Not sure how long we plan on swaddling.
  • Options
    We are still swaddling at 13 weeks, I'm hoping soon we can start transitioning to the flying squirrel suits.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If he's sleeping good in it then keep doing it until he starts to roll over!
  • Options
    my LO is also 14 weeks and we are still swaddling in the large size swaddleme's.  He is definitely moving a lot more and I know I need to start thinking about transitioning him to arms out.  He is a great sleeper and is STTN consistently.  I would hate to mess his sleeping pattern up, but I know it's not much longer till he's rolling.  SO is going out of town tomorrow through Saturday.  I may be brave and attempt one arm out on Thursday or Friday night.  
  • Options
    I've tried either one of both arms out randomly here and there during bedtime but he just doesn't sleep well like that. He always naps tho with his arms doing whatever. He used to nap for an hour or two at a time but now he is napping very poorly, maybe 15-20 minutes, I actually this morning considered swaddling him for his nap but ended up having a cuddle nap instead. That seemed to be more his style cause we napped almost an hour together, so maybe he just wants cuddles right now. I guess I'm going to swaddle until he starts to roll over and it becomes unsafe for him. He's 13w tomorrow
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We just stopped swaddling this weekend. We had 2 good nights followed by 2 crappy nights so the jury is still out. She'll be 14 weeks tomorrow.
  • Options
    I would love to see where you read that @btm013 and also now curious what you do besides swaddling? Because he would keep/wake himself up a lot if he wasn't swaddled.(or at least did when not swaddled before)
  • Options
    At 11 weeks I began the transition to see if she still slept the same. She did so we're fully transitioned to sleep sacks now. Originally I wasn't going to do this until she was rolling onto her belly but I read in some places that they can move/exercise while unswaddled at night and to try it out by 3 months to see how it works out.
  • Options
    We use the sleep sacks with arms out but with the velcro thingie in the middle lo loves that we have some regular sleep sacks that I might try tonight and this weekend. She doesn't roll over yet but since she has always had arms out I'm not too worried. If you put the arms in she thinks it's a battle so she fights until they are free...
  • Options
    My son is a total swaddle addict. Two options for sleep: being held or being swaddled. He's been rolling front to back for the last 7 weeks, and back to side for about 3 weeks now, so we decided to transition last week. Complete disaster. We had a Merlin Magic Sleepsuit priority shipped and it's been a God-send. I highly recommend it for transitioning out of swaddles.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    Well shoot. We are 4 months old yesterday and my baby sleeps AMAZING in his woombie. I can't imagine transitioning out even though I probably should. We aren't rolling yet so I thought It was still ok???
  • Options
    My LO is 10.5 weeks and we sleep with one arm swaddled Except for last week on vacation and he slept AWFUL. However un swaddled he sleeps on his side (he flips himself). Should I quit doing the one arm swaddle? He can't flip with one arm in.
  • Options
    mjschenk said:
    I would love to see where you read that @btm013 and also now curious what you do besides swaddling? Because he would keep/wake himself up a lot if he wasn't swaddled.(or at least did when not swaddled before)
    It was in the 15 week update on thebump. It states:

Parents should stop swaddling their babies by three or four months. At this time, most full-term infants are acclimated to life outside of the womb and no longer crave the constriction of a swaddle.

It's also extremely important to give babies over four months old the freedom to move at night. When you stop swaddling baby, you'll be astonished to see how much he travels around his crib during the night. They scooch and flop from one end to the other, several times a night. All that nighttime movement is important exercise. It helps baby enhance his gross motor development, which is crucial for upcoming milestones like crawling, standing and walking. A swaddled baby doesn't have a chance to refine these skills at night
  • Options
    We're still swaddling, and the girls will be 16 weeks tomorrow. Until they start rolling, I will keep swaddling them. If I don't, they feel like they're falling and wake up instantly. We did the same with ds.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My little guy is 14 weeks and loves to be swaddled. I use the "swaddle me" sack from Target. I tried the halo with hands free swaddle and Nope he was not having it. I plan on swaddling for as long as I can or at least until he starts rolling over on his own.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    swiebe said:

my LO is also 14 weeks and we are still swaddling in the large size swaddleme's.  He is definitely moving a lot more and I know I need to start thinking about transitioning him to arms out.  He is a great sleeper and is STTN consistently.  I would hate to mess his sleeping pattern up, but I know it's not much longer till he's rolling.  SO is going out of town tomorrow through Saturday.  I may be brave and attempt one arm out on Thursday or Friday night.  

I attempted an arm out as well, it worked for one night so I went back to full swaddle. Last night he slept 7 hours straight!!!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited September 2015
    btm013 said:

mjschenk said:

It was in the 15 week update on thebump. It states:

Parents should stop
    swaddling their babies by three or four months. At this time, most
    full-term infants are acclimated to life outside of the womb and no
    longer crave the constriction of a swaddle.

It's also extremely important to give
    babies over four months old the freedom to move at night. When you stop
    swaddling baby, you'll be astonished to see how much he travels around
    his crib during the night. They scooch and flop from one end to the
    other, several times a night. All that nighttime movement is important
    exercise. It helps baby enhance his gross motor development, which is
    crucial for upcoming milestones like crawling, standing and walking. A swaddled baby doesn't have a chance to refine these skills at night

QUOTE FAIL

That is really interesting! And explains a lot. LO hasn't been swaddled in many weeks - and I typically find her facing a drastically different direction in her crib than when I put her to bed.
  • Options
    @hoodoll82 same with my LO! He's all over the crib!! I have a doctors appointment next week and I'll ask for their thoughts. He really does sleep so soundly with just his arms swaddled but I don't want to inhibit his "skills".
  • Options
    This is the saddest topic for me. LO slept so well fully swaddled in her sack, but she really gets rolling now so we stopped and are having a very hard time getting long stretches. We bought a Zippadee Zip and it's not really doing the trick for her. Sigh...
  • Options
    We swaddle arms out. He looks like a little mermaid, I love it. He isn't anywhere near rolling over though. 11 weeks!
  • Options
    We stopped swaddling around 6 weeks because we cosleep and its recommended to not swaddle in case the baby needs to move a blanket off face or is rolling over. Plus my LO started rolling at 8 weeks and is usually tossing and turning all night in between mtnf.
  • Options
    That's interesting about them moving more at night now. I have noticed that he does tend to turn a bit in the pnp now even tho he is swaddled in his sleep sack. He kicks and pushes off with his feet so his butt goes up and comes back down a bit over. Repeat multiple times and you've got a lil dude that has turned 45° sometimes! Doesn't seem like he's close to rolling over tho
  • Options
    Bwahaha still swaddling at 16 weeks. She isn't close to rolling over so...whatever. She's all over the crib anyway even while swaddled.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    My twins are 4 months and we still use the halo sleep sacks with their arms out. Charlie is able to roll over but she doesn't with the sack on. Pediatrican didn't seem too worried about us doing this. Also they make those sleep sacks up to like size 12mo!
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 haha ya my little guy is going to be 17 weeks and he's not rolling over at all either!
  • Options
    We started using the Merlin's sleep suit at 16 weeks and it's been great! LO had started getting really restless in and breaking out of the swaddle, plus he was kind of awkwardly between sizes, so it seemed like a good time to transition.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Nope, too big, too active, rolling over, my guy needs to be freeee! :)
  • Options
    We swaddled DD until she was about 2 months but honestly since we've brought LO home from the hospital we haven't swaddled him once! Possibly a fail but he's been sleeping through the night since about 5 weeks so I guess it isn't bothering him. We used the halo sleep sack as well but he likes just being in his regular sleepers the best. He's a pretty laid back little dude :)
  • Options
    My girl has to be swaddled to sleep well. We've tried one arm out but she's still quite jerky & her startle reflex is strong. She is 4 months now but was 3 weeks early so maybe that reflex is taking longer to settle down. She can roll but I don't think she can with her arms in. She's mostly sleeping in the rock and play still so she can't roll over in there. Sometimes she sleeps with me but I keep the covers down by my waist & I feel like I would notice if she flipped herself as I keep her very close to me & I'm a terrible sleeper myself, I wake pretty easily. I do fear her rolling over in the pack and play while swaddled and not being able to move her head enough and smothering. I feel like she would cry if that happened but I'm still super worried about it. I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    dalinhardtdalinhardt member
    edited September 2015
    mindaa said:

We started using the Merlin's sleep suit at 16 weeks and it's been great! LO had started getting really restless in and breaking out of the swaddle, plus he was kind of awkwardly between sizes, so it seemed like a good time to transition.

We love our Merlin sleep suit too! DH, bless his heart, didn't get a good seal on LOs diaper last night. LO completely soaked his suit so we had to put him in his halo sleep sack that we had been using prior to the merlin. Definitely regretting not purchasing a second.
  • Options
    Can someone post a picture of their baby in the Merlin sleep suit? I imagine your babes look so adorable in them! I've been thinking about buying one for LO, he sleeps great when he's swaddled and I know we need to start transitioning out of the swaddle soon.
  • Options
    swiebe said:

Can someone post a picture of their baby in the Merlin sleep suit? I imagine your babes look so adorable in them! I've been thinking about buying one for LO, he sleeps great when he's swaddled and I know we need to start transitioning out of the swaddle soon.

• Options
    We love our Merlin sleep suit! It worked for us when he was done being swaddled and helped with the transition from rock and play to crib. We do still swaddle it the swing for naps sometimes.
  • Options
    What is the basis behind the Merlin suit? Like what is the reasoning for it? I don't mean that to sound rude I just don't know if someone can explain it for me!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Anyone using zipadee zip?
    Mine is in the mail and hoping it works.
  • Options
    ^^^ me too. Totally not understanding what's going on with these suits? :-/