May 2016 Moms
Options

Non FTMs.. Advice/suggestions for us first timers?

yogahhyogahh member
edited September 2015 in May 2016 Moms
I would love to hear what those with two, three, four kids already have to tell us newbies about handling pregnancy, birth, etc.
suggestions, tips, advise, real stories? I think it would be good for us that might have concerns about everything to hear from those that have been through this before!

cat fail animated GIF

Re: Non FTMs.. Advice/suggestions for us first timers?

• Options
    Anything specific you want to ask?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just a general thread. Like I said advice, suggestions, stories.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @laurenmdrn16 #6 I can't reiterate enough! Don't be afraid to tell people NO!

And if you're the person visiting new parents....bring food and/or offer to clean their house!
  • Options
    I think what all of us are saying is: be flexible :) know what you want, research, etc, but at the end of the day go with the flow. 

my biggest piece of advice (that i wish i would have listened to) don't be afraid to ask for help. Whether you need a BFF/husband/in law whatever to COME TAKE THE BABY so you can sleep or have peace and quiet, or need your OB to prescribe meds for PPD, just ask for help. 
    After 3 losses,our rainbow baby is finally here! DD May 2012, #2 May 2016
  • Options
    If you are thinking of spacing kids 3-4-5 or more years apart, don't keep all the maternity and baby stuff. I kept it all, and pulled out my perfectly folded totes of maternity clothes yesterday to find that none of the pants work this time. I've been hauling that stuff around for 5 years and it looks dated. I also want to get rid of half the baby stuff. I thought I was doing a great thing by saving it all, but really now I have more work to sort and donate. And I still have to go buy more pants. :/

Consider maternity consignment shops. You only need maternity clothes for such a short period of time and you can find great stuff for super cheap. I picked up a pair of new with tags Gap maternity jeans yesterday for $8. Rock on. 

image image
  • Options
    Afterbirth was a surprise to me. She spent at least 45 min elbow deep in my vagina scooping out God knows what.

Be open to sleeping arrangements. I know the big thing is SIDS and yea it's real but especially the first 2 weeks I put baby wherever she would sleep. On me, on the sofa, in the swing, in the car seat, swaddled, on their belly, in a positioner, in a bouncy seat. Bassinet NEVER worked for us. But then after 1 month I put her in her crib. And bc of reflux and stomach issues it was best for us to have her sleep on her stomach. I would recommend it and I'll do it with my next kid.

If baby is constipated juice is perfectly ok no mater what age. My ped and GI recommended it instead of medicating
  • Options
    1. Hear advice other people give you but know that every family, child, marriage/relationship is different. A lot of advice I got and stressed over really didn't work for my home. So, I adjusted accordingly and didn't feel "weird" or "different" for doing so.
    2. Don't stress about breastfeeding. First, Stress can effect your milk flow. Second, know you are not a failure if you aren't able to breastfeed as long or at all. My milk dried up at 4 months. I felt like I failed my daughter and I'd never be able to bond with her as well. That was all lies I was telling myself. Make sure to do your research though.
    3. You're body will never be the same. BUT it's the best reason in the world it won't be. You will obtain that understanding once LO is here.
    4. Keep hand me downs. I was very lucky and got tons of hand me downs. After my shower I went through everything I got and if I had multiples of things I already had from my hand me down pile I would take it back to the store. Long story short, I ended up with $400 to Target and $300 to Walmart which came in handy once LO gets here.
    5. Make freezer meals. OMG they saved my behind (and DHs) for the first 2 months. It really is extremely worth it.
    6. If you can, do maternity pics. They are so fun. I put some on the wall in my hallway and anytime DD goes down the hallway we have to name everyone in the photos including her in mommys belly which to me is so special.
    7. With DD I was told to get a bassinet, swing, and bouncer. The reason was bc you don't know until LO gets here what they will actually want to sleep in. DD loved the swing, hated the bouncer, and would scream if we changed her in anything but the bassinet. Also, I still have all three just in case for this one now too.
    8. Skin to skin contact was incredible with DD. DH made fun of me when I told him I'd plan to do it but ended up participating in it as well. We didn't have DD in clothes (unless we went out which wasn't to often for the first few months) until I went back to work. It gives you a bond with LO that is just amazing (I use amazing and incredible bc I can't think of actual words to describe how fulfilling it was to do these things).
    9. Pack in play is what DD ended up sleeping in in our room around 4 months or so. I'm not putting the crib back together for this one bc I'm just using the pack n play for this one to sleep in. Portable and easy.
    10. If you get a c section A. it's not as bad as what you read. B. get up and walk asap. I got up and walked 6-8 hours after my c section. Apparently, at night in the hospital was the time to be out and about. The other mommys would make their rounds nightly about 3am or so. I bounced back quickly at about 3 weeks or so post c section.
    11. Take advantage of naps before and after (if you're able). Yes, you're going to be exhausted BUT until you've been there it's hard to explain how much you'll love it at the same time.
    12. Go get massages, pedicures, and manicures as much as you can during your pregnancy.
    13. Get DH his own daddy books. They relate more to the weird way their brains work. DH was a MASTER swaddler when DD got here. He had to teach me!
    14. In the 3rd trimester: Headache? Drink water. Cramping? Drink water. Tired? Drink water. Any ailment? Drink water. Just do it. It really works wonders.
    15. Read to your belly. DH read the Auburn vs Alabama rivalry history book to DD (we're Auburn fans). I sang to DD while she was in my belly. To this day I can put her to sleep by singing and DH can put her to sleep by reading to her.
    16. White noise machines are amazing for colic or sleeplessness. Colic Calm. If I ever meet the creator of this stuff I will kiss them on the mouth! It's all natural and trumps gas drops, gripe water, etc. Also cures hiccups, acid reflux, and upset tummy. We use the toddler kind for DD now and it's still amazing.

My advice worked for me (refer to #1). This is YOUR baby. You'll figure out your own way together and that's perfectly fine.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    Love it ladies! thanks for all the feedback

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    PP advice was really good. 

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is that if you're interested in BFing, ask for a lactation consult in the hospital. That really helped to get a better latch.

Also, I couldn't stand the boppy original pillow for nursing. It wasn't nearly supportive enough and the slope of the pillow made my newborn slide down into the crack between the pillow and my body. I'll be looking for a better nursing pillow this time around!

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    mhc13 said:

Lots of great advice above. I'd like to add GET THE EPIDURAL and don't stock up on bottles until you find which one works best for your baby. You could have one like mine that never took bottles and I have an entire cabinet full.

Good one. I am deathly afraid of needles. I finally got the epidural after saying I wasn't and it was awesome. I won't hesitate next time. I could feel him touching my back but it almost felt like nothing. Especially compared to the contraction I was having. But then I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't push. The nurses were saying "push" and I said "I am" and they said "no you're not you're just scrunching your face. Push like you're trying to poop"

And I didn't but supposedly it's normal to poo on the table. Anyone actually do this?
  • Options
    Par13Par13 member
    edited September 2015
    Lots of great advice above. I'd like to add GET THE EPIDURAL and don't stock up on bottles until you find which one works best for your baby. You could have one like mine that never took bottles and I have an entire cabinet full.
    Good one. I am deathly afraid of needles. I finally got the epidural after saying I wasn't and it was awesome. I won't hesitate next time. I could feel him touching my back but it almost felt like nothing. Especially compared to the contraction I was having. But then I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't push. The nurses were saying "push" and I said "I am" and they said "no you're not you're just scrunching your face. Push like you're trying to poop" And I didn't but supposedly it's normal to poo on the table. Anyone actually do this?
    It's possible I pooped on the table/floor - I'm not really sure. I always thought that would be so embarrassing, but in the moment that was the last thing I was worried about. OBs and MWs have seen it all!  :\">

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    Par13 said:

mhc13 said:

Good one. I am deathly afraid of needles. I finally got the epidural after saying I wasn't and it was awesome. I won't hesitate next time. I could feel him touching my back but it almost felt like nothing. Especially compared to the contraction I was having. But then I couldn't feel anything. I couldn't push. The nurses were saying "push" and I said "I am" and they said "no you're not you're just scrunching your face. Push like you're trying to poop"

And I didn't but supposedly it's normal to poo on the table. Anyone actually do this?

It's possible I pooped on the table/floor - I'm not really sure. I always thought that would be so embarrassing, but in the moment that was the last thing I was worried about. OBs and MWs have seen it all!  :\">

Haha. I remember at one point the nurses covered me with a towel or blanket and I threw it across the room and yelled "nows no time for dignity!"
  • Options
    mhc13mhc13 member
    edited September 2015
    @mariaalene I'm deathly afraid of needles and was really scared to get the epidural. I quickly learned the intense pain of labor superseded any qualms about a needle sticking out of my back.

They ordered it when I was at a 5. I was a freaking 9 before they administered it because I progressed so quickly (like 45 mins). Transition was my own personal hell. Thank god the epi kicked in before pushing. I didn't feel a thing (as far as pain) and had a about 30 minutes to finally relax and catch my breathe before pushing.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    I totally agree with everything PPs mentioned above!

I'd also add to try to enjoy something about your pregnancy. Some people have magical unicorn pregnancies and some people hate their lives for nine months. If you're in a queasy/pukey/pain-filled stage right now, keep pushing through. If it doesn't end at the end of the first trimester like the books say it will, maybe it'll end partway through your second. And maybe it won't. Rest assured that sometime in or around May it WILL end because you're going to have a beautiful baby boy or girl and morning sickness and cramps and pains and all of that will be a thing of the past.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    Also, like several above mentioned, breastfeeding is super hard. Find someone that won't let you give up. I came in to our bedroom one day, crying because I couldn't get DD to latch without the nipple shield. My husband said, "calm down and try again!" I listened to him and voila, she latched. There is a right time to stop nursing, but never decide to stop when you're in an emotional "breastfeeding is hard" state of mind.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    As a FTM at almost 5 weeks, I LOVE all of this advice. What a wonderful topic!! Please keep them coming - you don't know how invaluable (and special) it is to hear about all your experiences. Thank you!! :)
  • Options
    Bluejay3030Bluejay3030 member
    edited September 2015
    I agree with so much of what's been said! I just have one thing to add for now:

It's OK if you don't feel attached/bonded to your baby immediately after birth. If you do, awesome! If not, give it time. It will happen.

Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    Amazing advice so far, totally agree with all of it. I think some of the best advice I received and still struggle with is: remember to cut yourself a break, during pregnancy and also post-partum. You're growing a child, and you're caring for it 24/7 once it is born. Be kind to yourself and don't stress if the dishes aren't done and you've had to order takeout for 3 meals a day.

Also, your birth plan might go out the window but just remember the end goal is to get your baby out safely.

Trust your instincts and listen to your body. I was so worried I wouldn't know when I was in labor (hilarious in hindsight, because you definitely know). I also thought I wouldn't know what to do during active labor but your body just figures it out. I found the idea of labor far more terrifying than what actually happened, so if you're like-minded don't watch any labor videos!

And last - when it's 3am and you're exhausted don't hold a grudge. It's important to be on the same team as your spouse because parenthood can be exhausting and scary, but raising a child together can bring you even closer than you ever imagined.
  • Options

mhc13 said:

LOL when I was getting my epidural they had me lean up against DH. I wasn't too worried about what was going on back there until DH yelled "WHOA!!!" He was completely caught off-guard by the size of the needle and totally freaked me out!
  • Options
    Post partum anxiety is real. You may be super tired and emotional but if you feel like you are more anxious than baseline see someone. Don't let primary doctors or receptionists talk you down or call it "first time jitters" that's bullshit and completely unfair.

Remember my name, I will advocate for anyone who experienced this. I was put off for 7 months before I finally got to see a doctor and was put on Zoloft. Within a few weeks I actually began to feel normal again and only needed to be on it a couple of months to re find my emotional equalibrium.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, all the memories are flooding back! Fun reads ladies! This is the first post I've read on thebump since ....about 5 years ago when I was last pregnant. I have an 8 year old and an almost 5 year old. I almost feel like I'm doing this for the first time!

I agree - flexibility is key. It's good - and recommended - to 'study up' but in the end sometimes things work out differently than how you thought they might!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, ladies! This is good stuff!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

LOL when I was getting my epidural they had me lean up against DH. I wasn't too worried about what was going on back there until DH yelled "WHOA!!!" He was completely caught off-guard by the size of the needle and totally freaked me out!

Yea I knew I didn't want dh to do that. I just wanted some stone faced pro to hold me steady. So I quickly said "o I think the nurse has to hold me cuz it's sterile or something"

• Options
    Don't feel pressured to breastfeed/pump. If it's upsetting you then it's not that special bonding moment you wanted. I was immediately a million times happier and less stressed and not depressed when I quit pumping. A totally different person. I wish I quit sooner and this next baby I'm not even going to bother. And ppl tried to guilt trip me but I stood firm and just said NO! I was breast fed. My two sisters were formula fed. They are WAY smarter than me. One is a dr/virologist and develops vaccines. The other is a computer network/securities programmer for the government. Formula is just as good. Even for super preemies like my first baby
  • Options

Don't feel pressured to breastfeed/pump. If it's upsetting you then it's not that special bonding moment you wanted. I was immediately a million times happier and less stressed and not depressed when I quit pumping. A totally different person. I wish I quit sooner and this next baby I'm not even going to bother. And ppl tried to guilt trip me but I stood firm and just said NO! Formula is just as good. Even for super preemies like my first baby

Yes! I had to pump constantly and I remember my aha moment when instead of holding my son, I was strapped to this milking machine with raw nipples and leaky suction, more concerned with squeezing an exceptionally frustrating few drops of milk from my "failure" breasts than allowing my body to do what felt so natural: cuddling my little baby while nourishing him with a lovingly prepared bottle of, yes, formula.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Post partum anxiety is real. You may be super tired and emotional but if you feel like you are more anxious than baseline see someone. Don't let primary doctors or receptionists talk you down or call it "first time jitters" that's bullshit and completely unfair. Remember my name, I will advocate for anyone who experienced this. I was put off for 7 months before I finally got to see a doctor and was put on Zoloft. Within a few weeks I actually began to feel normal again and only needed to be on it a couple of months to re find my emotional equalibrium. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

This is so important. I had something else going on and the doctor's office assumed it was postpartum and put me on Zoloft without even seeing me. I got so much worse and DH was about to put me in a mental health facility. I kept telling everyone I wasn't depressed I just felt crazy and sad and tired but more than I should be. Long story short I FINALLY got a doctor to listen to me and they took full blood work. My pregnancy brought a dormant autoimmune disease active and my thyroid was at a level that almost put me in a self induced coma. Like PP's have been saying, listen to your bodies and don't stop being an advocate for yourself. Don't let doctor's tell you what you're feeling and brush you off.

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    Such amazing advice, and it's totally bringing me back! 

I want to second the "don't hold a grudge" statement. I didn't realize how hard it was for my husband to feel so helpless when DS was first born. It's so difficult for them because for the first few weeks you are you're baby's safe place and it was challenging for my husband to find his role in that (I was breastfeeding as well, so he couldn't even take over a feeding). At the time, I think I was a bit resentful that he still got to go out, run errands, be a human, but once I realized that it was his way of feeling helpful, we really came together and are so much closer for it.

Also, don't be too rigid with your birth plan. No one is a better or worse mother for how they got their baby out. I went in with the intention of trying to avoid an epidural, and by the time I got to the hospital I was BEGGING for it. That doesn't mean that everyone will, but I had to remind myself after that it doesn't make me a failure just because I had to change my plan. Oh, and when I was getting it they had me hold onto the nurse while they were inserting it, and I had a contraction halfway through and DH says I completely buried my face into the nurses cleavage to keep myself from moving. I, of course, have no memory of that, and I would do it again, because there is NO SHAME when you are in labor.

And one other thing that was helpful for me was I set up baskets in each room of my apartment that I would be nursing the baby in with burp cloths, pacifiers, nipple cream, and diapers/wipes so I didn't have to constantly get up and down whenever I needed something.

• Options
    -Do what works for you. I didn't keep a pregnancy journal or a baby book. Not my thing and I have no regrets.

-I didn't really have a birth plan and that was fine for me. I just rolled with the punches. I also truly hated my childbirth classes. Their method of "relaxing" just made me annoyed or giggle-y. I don't fit any of the molds for child birth or parenting and that is totally okay.

-Don't feel like you have to love every moment of your pregnancy or of parenting. Some of the worse advice that gets given all the time is to "enjoy it now, they grow up so fast." Yes, enjoy your baby/child but it's okay to be super annoyed at a bad day or need a break. You do not have to enjoy it all. It's okay to really dislike certain stages.

-Life does not have to revolve around your baby. In fact, it shouldn't. Yes, those first few weeks will have to as everyone adjusts. But there will be life after your child. Don't lose your sense of self. Don't feel like you can't go on trips, do the things you enjoy, etc. just because you have a baby/child. Babies are fairly portable. For us, having a baby didn't slow us down hardly at all. We do lumberjack competitions and the summer our DD was a baby, we did 19 competitions instead of the normal 12-16, 6 of which I helped run/organize. Now at 3, my daughter knows no different and loves going to competitions. She is super well behaved and knows what's safe/what isn't because she has grown up that way.

-Don't forget to focus on your marriage/relationship. Yes, baby is going to need a lot of focus for awhile, but your marriage should be first and foremost. Take time to connect a little every day, even if it is just a 10 minute snuggle on the couch or some texting throughout the day.

Again, most everything I just said comes down to.....do what works for you. ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016