May 2016 Moms
Options

Flu shot anyone?

Re: Flu shot anyone?

• Options
    @emma+karen I literally LOL'd at the image of a nice family tradition of getting your flu shots together! I grew up in a family filled with nurses and MDs so I can totally relate. There would be literal fights over who got to take out a splinter at 4th of July cookouts or who got to look in my ears if they felt blocked up during Thanksgiving. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be getting mine but my OB has recommended I wait until I'm in 2nd trimester.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dsmith211dsmith211 member
    edited October 2015

I'll be getting mine but my OB has recommended I wait until I'm in 2nd trimester.

This. I finally got over my cold so I called my midwife to ask if they had the vaccine there (they do not unfortunately :( ) and they said they recommend waiting until the beginning of my second trimester anyway. I'm not that far off from that anyway so just doing my research now to find a place that has the preservative free.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    My work was offering it for free yesterday. I had to check a box on the paperwork saying I'm pregnant. The nurse asked me how far along I am (8 weeks) and then LOUDLY proclaimed multiple times that she was not supposed to give the flu shot to pregnant women until after 12 weeks.
    I should also add that i had been to my doctor that morning, and she told me it was fine to get the shot yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for announcing my news to everyone in the surrounding area... :-w
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    I got mine at 8 weeks and my doctor...who is surpisingly liberal on some medications and food items told me I had to make sure I got the shot without the preservative then gave me one since my work only gives ones with preservative.
  • Options
    My OB also advised me to wait until 13 weeks to get the flu shot. Luckily the health fair at my office with free flu shots is happening in my 13th week!

• Options
    I'm only 9 weeks and my OB advised me to get the flu shot while I was there. She never said anything about waiting until I'm 12 weeks... Should I be concerned?

In other news, I'm feeling awful right now which could be from the baby bean or the shot. Who knows these days! Lol 
  • Options
    evamarta said:

I'm only 9 weeks and my OB advised me to get the flu shot while I was there. She never said anything about waiting until I'm 12 weeks... Should I be concerned?

In other news, I'm feeling awful right now which could be from the baby bean or the shot. Who knows these days! Lol 
    It's okay. I got mine at 9 weeks too. The recommendation that pregnant women wait until the second trimester is old, yet some doctors still follow it. Both the WHO and CDC recommend the flu shot for pregnant women at any point.
  • Options
    My OB also told me that waiting until the second tri was more risky than doing it now--she has 3 of her patients in the ICU right now from flu complications :( Getting the flu is much more dangerous to mom and baby than any proven risks from the vaccine.
  • Options
    Got mine at my 12 week last week! H also got his this weekend. Feeling good!
  • Options
    I know not to get the nasal one, but is the regular shot ok or should it be preservative free? I ask because not all places provide the preservative free one and wasn't sure if the regular shot was safe.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Flu shots have a very small amount of the preservative in it these days, but a good thing to look for is a single vile. If it's in a single vile attached to the syringe, then it's more than likely preservative free. If it's just a shot without a vile attached (ie, the vaccine was drawn from a larger "pot" or multi-dose vile) then it's more likely to have preservatives.

There's a chart half way down this page that lists the most common flu shot brands and mercury content. If you can't get to your OB, call you local pharmacies and ask what brand of flu shot they give to pregnant women and if it's in a single vile or multi-use vile. Cross check with chart if you're worried.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6430a3.htm#Tab.
  • Options
    I got mine at my second prenatal checkup yesterday. The OB stressed its importance and my dad (an ER doc) agreed, so even though I never get the flu shot when it's just me, this year I'm making an exception. I know *I* have a strong immune system and limited exposure risk, but I also know that isn't true for the lime-sized tadpole I'm carrying around right now, so welp time to suck it up and take the needle stick.
  • Options
    Got mine at my 8wk appointment.

photo 146-1-1.jpgphoto 102_0857-2.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    cmeagscmeags member
    edited October 2015
    Disregard my post :-)
  • Options
    I just got mine yesterday from the doctor's office!
  • Options
    Finally got mine. I was expecting to feel sick for a couple of days like I have in the past, but so far nothing other than a few sniffles.
  • Options
    I work in a high school and I love my kids but... they nasty. I'm so grateful that my np asked me first thing if I wanted the flu shot and I didn't even have to ask the first question on my list which was when to get the flu shot. It's only November and I've seen students with not only the flu but bronchitis, stomach virus, and one case of bacterial meningitis. If I can do something to help protect me and baby, I will always do it.
  • Options
    Got mine today... arm still hurts. Never got them before ttc, didn't get the flu before and haven't gotten it since. Bottom line, I don't know how much good it does me personally but I trust my doctor not to recommend things that are actively bad for me.
  • Options
    Kewlchiky said:

I'd love to see your peer reviewed articles that tells us flu shots or any vaccines for that matter are 100% safe.

Sorry. But your doctor is paid to tell you they are safe. He is getting a nice bonus when all his patients are complient and get their shot. He tells you they are safe bc that's what the money making manufacturers tell him. So shown me the research they are safe. Too many side effects and the damage payouts would boggle your mind. Also, flu shot injuries are the most compensated in vaccine court. Millions payed out to those who have already been permanently disabled by a vaccine.

Just interested to know why you think your doctor is being payed to make you get a shot. If you believe that, you're going to the wrong doctor. I work for mds and fnps and they do not bonus for "selling" flu shots. Our facility pays for vaccinations, which are extremely expensive, and never receives money from anyone for using them. They expire, where out the money.
  • Options
    I recently read an article that showed a box of the flu vaccine and it had alarming amounts of mercury in it! I don't understand why that would be ok for your baby? I have never had a flu shot and never will. Especially after reading that.

• Options
    jenver96 said:
    I recently read an article that showed a box of the flu vaccine and it had alarming amounts of mercury in it! I don't understand why that would be ok for your baby? I have never had a flu shot and never will. Especially after reading that.
    Thimerosal, it's mercury-based. It's a trace amount used as a preservative to prevent bacteria from growing. You can request one that is thimerosal-free if you're that worried about it.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    LOL to doctors getting paid to tell you to get the flu shot. Doctors barely break even on the vaccination, and sometimes even lose profit. For a period of time vaccines weren't even made because they were losing so much money. They have one of the smallest profit margins in the pharmaceutical industry.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited November 2015
    jenver96 said:
    Thimerosal, it's mercury-based. It's a trace amount used as a preservative to prevent bacteria from growing. You can request one that is thimerosal-free if you're that worried about it.
    This. Not to mention that vaccines contain ethyl mercury (fine) rather than methyl mercury (harmful in excess).

• Options
    jenver96 said:

Alarming amounts? As others have said it's thimerosal, which is used as a preservative and is only in trace amounts. I would be curious about where this article is actually from.

And anyway... You can get a thimerosal free version. You just have to call around to make sure places have it. You have options... You just need to do your research and not base everything on one fear mongering article.
  • Options
    I've never gotten one and don't plan to start now. Besides... I tend to react in that, "in less than one percent of cases... This happens." That's me! So it's a big fat NO for us! Also won't be getting the TB vaccine in the second trimester either- I'm super allergic to it.
  • Options
    i use to get the flu shot every year even when i got pregnant with my first DS but when i was pregnant with him i ended up getting the flu really bad so i am a little weary of getting it this pregnancy
  • Options

I've never gotten one and don't plan to start now. Besides... I tend to react in that, "in less than one percent of cases... This happens." That's me! So it's a big fat NO for us! Also won't be getting the TB vaccine in the second trimester either- I'm super allergic to it.

Mind if I ask what kind of reaction you get?
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    I got a flu shot and a Tdap two weeks ago.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @avidkeo
    Not at all... Like I said, I seem to react in the "less than one percent of cases, this happens" category! The TB vaccine made my entire arm, face, and rib cage swell up like the Michelin Tire man for more than 3 weeks and the injection site was completely hot to the touch (like an infection would be)... Hospital said there was nothing they could do, it had to wear itself down on its own. I couldn't even lift my arm. And they said, "this almost never happens!" Thanks guys! Lol Benadryl didn't even help.

It's pretty much most medications though... Even when I tried birth control... When my husband and I first got married a few years ago. I literally was nauseous 24/7 (and throwing up anything I ate), my boobs enlarged, my feet swelled up, I gained 15 pounds and wasn't keeping food down, and I had chronic yeast and BV infections that they couldn't get rid of. They kept promising in 3 months it would "even itself out"... And I was on the lowest hormone dose they had on the market. Every doctor in the practice claimed they had never seen reactions like mine and that it wasn't even something they disclose on the package! Nope it's in the one percent of cases! Lol 3 months later... I was still in the same boat, and we decided to quit birth control!
  • Options
    Just got mine! Finally...
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    @avidkeo
    Not at all... Like I said, I seem to react in the "less than one percent of cases, this happens" category! The TB vaccine made my entire arm, face, and rib cage swell up like the Michelin Tire man for more than 3 weeks and the injection site was completely hot to the touch (like an infection would be)... Hospital said there was nothing they could do, it had to wear itself down on its own. I couldn't even lift my arm. And they said, "this almost never happens!" Thanks guys! Lol Benadryl didn't even help.

It's pretty much most medications though... Even when I tried birth control... When my husband and I first got married a few years ago. I literally was nauseous 24/7 (and throwing up anything I ate), my boobs enlarged, my feet swelled up, I gained 15 pounds and wasn't keeping food down, and I had chronic yeast and BV infections that they couldn't get rid of. They kept promising in 3 months it would "even itself out"... And I was on the lowest hormone dose they had on the market. Every doctor in the practice claimed they had never seen reactions like mine and that it wasn't even something they disclose on the package! Nope it's in the one percent of cases! Lol 3 months later... I was still in the same boat, and we decided to quit birth control!
    Oh wow that sux! so basically you are one of those 0.1% of people who can't take anything so the rest of us getting vaccinated helps, herd immunity and all that. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    Lol something like that!
  • Options
    i use to get the flu shot every year even when i got pregnant with my first DS but when i was pregnant with him i ended up getting the flu really bad so i am a little weary of getting it this pregnancy
    If you got the flu vaccine recommended for pregnant women then there's actually a 0% possibility of you getting the flu from the vaccine. Also for those of you talking about Mercury being in the vaccine, let me explain some science real quick. Do you know the difference between carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide? One we exhale all day every day and is found in the atmosphere in high amounts. Plants actually need it to survive. The other one will kill you. The difference? One, single oxygen atom. CO2 and CO. Science is an amazing thing like that. So all these crazy anti vax people will use the word MERCURY to scare everyone. When in reality the form of mercury found in vaccines is completely SAFE and is used to make the vaccines more effective. PLEASE DO REAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH OR LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW WTF THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT! You are putting yourself, your child, and every other immuno-compromised person in DANGER!
  • Options
    I would just like to send out an apology if I "scared" anyone. I suppose the post I left about mercury was worded a bit wrong. I was simply trying to get more information on the topic of it being present in the vaccine. I am not an anti- vaxer in fact I strongly believe in vaccinating to protect ourselves, children and general society. Thank you for the information ladies, it definitely goes to show you can't just believe any old thing thrown up on your news feed :)

• Options
    @jenver96 I wasn't saying that you are an anti vaxxer or that you were trying to scare people. Other people are putting that information on the Internet and scaring people, and it appears they did scare you. I just suggest doing research from real, credible sources and not believing information found in "news" articles, if you can even call them that.

I'm very passionate about scientific research and vaccinations. It frustrates me when people throw out words that scare people that don't have a background in science. Again, not you but whoever wrote the article about Mercury.
  • Options
    I am required to get one for work since I am a nurse and work at a hospital. I don't mind getting it at all as long as it's free and it always is! I would still get it even if I had to pay for it though. Got mine preservative free from the OB office. Flu fighter all the way!!!
  • Options
    Kewlchiky said:
    I'd love to see your peer reviewed articles that tells us flu shots or any vaccines for that matter are 100% safe. Sorry. But your doctor is paid to tell you they are safe. He is getting a nice bonus when all his patients are complient and get their shot. 

Not even sure how to respond to this. How about they are following CDC recommendations? Which by the way is backed by a TON of research!

• Options
    I've had my flu shot every year, and never gotten the flu. From what I can tell, the flu is really crappy to have, so I'm pretty happy about this situation! I got my shot at 5 weeks, and no problems or side effects whatsoever.

And to anyone who ever talks about doctors getting paid more by pushing services like vaccines on you... maybe at a private practice, but most doctors I know are salaried, and their income has nothing to do with what they prescribe/diagnose/recommend. So you guys can give up on that one now.