May 2016 Moms
Options

Dealing with Nausea at Work (Edited for typos)

sincerelymomsincerelymom member
edited September 2015 in May 2016 Moms
Anyone have any tips for dealing with nausea during the day/at the office without being super obvious about it?

I am 6 weeks today and this week the nausea has pretty much been an all-day companion except when I am actively stuffing food in my face. We technically aren't allowed to eat at our desks, but no one really enforces that rule so I have been having a couple of saltine crackers every hour.

I've only thrown up once (yesterday morning before I left home) but I am terrified of needing to throw up in our public bathroom or, worse, not even making it that far. I'm also having trouble focusing or talking to people without gagging. I want to be like "it's not you!"

Any helpful hints?

Re: Dealing with Nausea at Work (Edited for typos)

• Options
    With my DD I was EXTREMELY nausea from the time I took the test until 7 months. I would vomit daily in my work bathroom. I tried Zofran, preg for pops, ginger ale, ginger cookies, Diclegis, eating crackers. Etc with no relief. This pregnancy I am NOT taking any medications for nausea 1 bc it didn't work : ( 2 bc I see all those Zofran commercials and it just makes me nervous. So I did a lot of research and bought sea bands. You can get them at Walgreens and they are just acupressure wristbands. So far so good!!!!!! I'm 6w2d. It's worth a try.
  • Options
    I sucked on preggy pop lozenges during my first pregnancy and they seemed to help keep the nausea (somewhat) at bay.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I talked to the nurse today about options for relief. She went down the list...stay hydrated, ginger/ ginger ale, small snacks between meals, etc. She said I can try Vitamin B6. She mentioned the acupressure bands as well. Then if those don't work they can prescribe Zofran, but I'm hesitant to take it. Going to try the B6 and acupresssure bands. 
  • Options
    I was and am the same. I bought some pregnancy pops and suckers which they're both the same just one has a stick. It did to settle my stomach for a couple hours until I needed another one or until a full meal. I bought them at my babies R us.
  • Options
    Yes, sea bands are great!  I also like Gins Gins from Trader Joe's. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It's the worst!  

I'm just about at the 6 week mark and have had pretty constant background nausea, though not as bad as you seem to be experiencing :-( Ginger tea has worked wonders for me.  I recommend the yogi brand.  Not sure if it's the placebo effect, but regardless, I don't care if it's placebo or if it's the ginger working, it's been magic. Quite a few studies have shown that ginger (in a variety of forms) is as effective as zofran at improving nausea.  Mine seems to get worse if I haven't eaten in a few hours or at night. 

Is there a way for you to talk to someone confidentially about the "no snacking at work" rule?  I would say preventing vomiting/ severe nausea is for sure a medical necessity, and therefore you are well within your rights to request an accommodation.  
  • Options
    Anything salty and ginger ale. Just make sure you are eating every 3 hours and keep your desk packed with salty snacks. I also found that hot lemon water has been helping.
  • Options
    Can you have a drink at your desk? Maybe a small thermos with lemon ginger tea to sip on? 

image image
  • Options
    With my last pregnancy I carried jolly ranchers with me everywhere. They kept the nausea at a manageable level throughout the day. I agree with PP about talking to someone about the office policy and maybe they can make an exception? Eating little things throughout the day (as much as you don't want to!) really helped me last time.

• Options
    With my last pregnancy anything sour seemed to knock it right out (not this time though). I ate a lot of Sour Patch Kids.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    This is my first go around, but bubbly drinks have been a life saver for me! I don't drink soda, so I've been keeping sparking water on hand... I've also had to convert to small (very small) meals about 6 times a day or so... been really helpful so far, but my nausea hasn't been terrible, just kind of a background irritation. 

I'm terrified to be sick at work because the sound travels like nobody's business  :-S
  • Options
    @Jessabelly I could kiss you on the mouth! I had DH go get me some Seabands and it really does work.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I got some Sea Bands and I think they are maybe working a little, and I bought some ginger lozenges (also made
    By sea band and they have folic acid) which I will start today. Is it possible to get too much folic acid (obviously it's in my prenatal)?
  • Options
    @doozer1345 I'm glad they are working for you too!!! I wish someone would have told me about them during my first pregnancy!!!
  • Options
    For me constant eating is key. As soon as my stomach is slightly empty nausea kicks in. I don't love it because I have gained so much weight already and I only started in my company 6 months ago (surprise pregnancy) and want to keep it a secret as long as I can. 7 weeks along.
  • Options
    Last pregnancy (that ended in a miscarriage) I had HG so I was taking zofran all the time. When I called my midwives and told them I was starting to feel sick they told me they don't prescribe zofran anymore due to risk to the baby. Right now its just background sickness in the morning so I make sure I eat something on my way to work and keep mints in my pocket.
    I'm lucky that I'm a teacher so I can pretty much eat whenever I want, but I'm worried if I get HG again I'll be puking all day instead of teaching!
  • Options
    I work at home luckily. However, I am 5 weeks today and was feeling a bit queasy. I went to CVS and bought sea bands and ginger gum. Then went to Trader Joes and bought ginger thin cookies, ginger snaps. Ginger tea, and I threw in some dill pickle popcorn! When I was sick my 1st 2 pregnancies years ago, I was so sick, I had to tell my employers early.