Baby Names
Options

What are your "guilty pleasure" names/ name combos?

So we just had our little girl Gianna in July. H wants to have the next one by December of next year (yeah okay, honey) so we've talked about names in passing. Surprisingly, we both are loving one girl name in particular- Genevieve. I've always said I could never do alliteration or anything too matchy so of COURSE that's the name we currently like! Haha. Luckily it's not a problem if we have a boy next- We like Elliott.

How about you all?
Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What are your "guilty pleasure" names/ name combos?

• Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited September 2015
    We do names we love but wouldn't choose for a real child for pets. That said, I know these are names people on here like, so please don't be offended - it's just names we wouldn't pick :)
    So far we have had Lawrence, Eloise and Cordelia (hamsters). We'll see if the same trend sticks when we eventually get a dog.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    Two of my favorite names of all time are Adeline and Emily. I won't use them because I think they are too popular, but I still love them.

I get a lot of my GP names out of my system by using them for characters, either of my own creation or video games. I've been playing Monster Hunter 4. In this game, you get kitty companions called Palicos to help you hunt monsters

Currently in my roster I have Horst, Johannes, Lenora, Liselotte, Lawrence, Thaddeus, Hilde, Marius, Renard, Benedikta, and about 20 others. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I have another girl my favorite names are Marceline (from adventure time.. the vampire queen) and Cassiopeia, which is such a mouthful. I love them both but don't know if I could actually do it. For a boy my GP name is Fearchar but definitely in the middle name spot...
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    I LOVE Sunny for a girl, but could never actually pull the trigger. I considered it though!
    Boys GP
    Wilder (sounds too much like DD Piper)
    Dexter (serial killer ruined it for me)
    Oakley (my moms home town)

• Options
    Kelly for a boy. I love it so so much, but I just can't do it.

Girls:
    Aurelia
    Aria
    Guinevere
    Liesel

• Options
    I love, love, love the name Karliah for a girl, but don't think I could give my child that name .... I mean, I first heard it in a video game lol.

I also love Emma, Emily, Sophia, Maya, Liam, and Lucas, but they are just too popular for my liking.
  • Options

I LOVE Sunny for a girl, but could never actually pull the trigger. I considered it though!
    Boys GP
    Wilder (sounds too much like DD Piper)
    Dexter (serial killer ruined it for me)
    Oakley (my moms home town)

I taught 2 sisters named Su.nny and T.eddi ... Side eyed at first, but I definitely took to them after awhile
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love the name Daenerys from GoT.  Could never do it in real life though.
  • Options
    My guilty pleasure names are not all odd but I had my reasons for not choosing them.

I really wanted to name a boy Jeordie Michael but didn't because the names came from my favorite band. I didn't want to force my interest on my kiddo. Although our second son was thisclose to being named Michael.

I also liked Jonas Orion (again my interest favorite book character/astronomy).

Names I came up with for my second son that I liked but couldn't get my husband on board with were.

Orson
    Kai
    Stellan

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love the name Daenerys from GoT.  Could never do it in real life though.

This! I think it's so pretty and I love the nn Dany, but would absolutely never use it. Maybe for our next pet though!

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options

Girls:
    Aurelia
    Aria
    Guinevere
    Liesel

I actually had class with a guy named Kelly a few years ago. He was never made fun of and was super nice. Everyone liked him. I think it should make a come-back as a male name.
  • Options
    I have an ancestor who was named Sophronia Rose. I think Sophronia is so, so gorgeous (I would totally have Sophie as the nn), but it's so foofy and long that I just don't think I should use it. I'll always love it, though!
  • Options
    Fruit names. Peach, Apple, Cherry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    sarahgn said:

Girls:
    Aurelia
    Aria
    Guinevere
    Liesel

I actually had class with a guy named Kelly a few years ago. He was never made fun of and was super nice. Everyone liked him. I think it should make a come-back as a male name.
    My husband's middle name is Kelly, it's a family name. He never got made fun of, even before he was a big, hulking man (he was ridiculously puny and shy as a kid, late bloomer). We would've used it for a boy.
  • Options
    I love the name Juliet for a girl and Judah for a boy, but they won't be happening.

• Options
    Just don't work with our surname and heritage

Crispin
    Dimitri
    Hector
    Paloma

Aria and Winter are total GP. Aria is just too trendy and I would only use Winter in the mn spot but neither will happen.

• Options
    My guilty pleasure names are tame, but DH side eyes the crap out of me.

Harper, Parker, Emma, Chloe and Jackson.
    June 2016 April Siggy Challenge: Reasons my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mary Jane. So sweet but too linked to marijuana.
  • Options
    I love Luca, but have zero Italian heritage. I also look like I could very well be Italian so I feel like people would automatically assume the kid is Italian and that would be something he would get asked about his whole life and have to explain that no he is not Italian. I also love Seraphina and Luciana. 
  • Options
    Oh and if it was just me I might have named my youngest Beckett. My husband was said it sounded too much like bucket.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Zimger said:

Oh and if it was just me I might have named my youngest Beckett. My husband was said it sounded too much like bucket.

My maiden name was beckett and i definitely heard bucket alot!
  • Options
    Greek mythology names. Definitely not Greek and DH has vetoed all of them, but man, I love them.
    "Good for her! Not for me." - Amy Poehler

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Guilty pleasures? Gilligan, Jocasta, Juno, Amadeus, griffin, pixie, birdie. They're terrible. And I love them.
  • Options
    I'm a total hippie at heart. I love Juniper, Clover, Marigold, Sage, Aries, Luna... I really want to use Luna, but our last name starts with C. She'd be Luna C. That sounds like a marvel villain! (Though honestly, that kind of makes me like it even more.)

I love these so much! *swoon*

• Options
    I love Violetta, but my husband would never go for it. (It's from the name of the band that did the 'Angel' theme...)

Maybe if we get a second dog. :)
  • Options
    Harley Quinn (yes from batman) Braxton Beckett (my H and I cannot agree which gender that would be for) Eloise, Jonah (our last name has Hill in it) can't be Jonah __hill
  • Options
    Ocean, for a little girl. It's still a contender for middle name, but definitely not first name.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Options
    Botanical-like or vintage old lady-like names...
    Fern
    Hazel
    Pearl
    Flora
    Violet

Names to honor favorite scientists...
    Nikola
    Tesla
    Curie (Madame Curie)
    Darwin

Or just cool old dudes...
    Connery
    Franklin
    Carlin
    Wilson
    Harrison

But yeah, I'm not allowed to use any of them for our LO.   Future cats on the other hand....

• Options
    If I have another girl my favorite names are Marceline (from adventure time.. the vampire queen) and Cassiopeia, which is such a mouthful. I love them both but don't know if I could actually do it. For a boy my GP name is Fearchar but definitely in the middle name spot...

I love Cassiopeia, too, but it's so long! Also a fan of Saoirse, but I know everyone would butcher it in the US; I didn't know how to pronounce it until I saw it online, either.

S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I looooove Cassiopeia. I also love Calliope, and would maybe actually use that one but hubs vetoed it. Miranda and River are names we both really like as references to Firefly, but would never use. Maybe on pets.

For boys I love Elijah and Gabriel, but they're just way to biblical for me in real life.
  • Options
    Zaphina said:

I love Cassiopeia, too, but it's so long! Also a fan of Saoirse, but I know everyone would butcher it in the US; I didn't know how to pronounce it until I saw it online, either.

Love Saoirse, it was top of our girl name list but we had a boy. Also like Siobhan and our other consideration was Aoibheann. Everyone already pronounces our last name wrong so we didn't particularly care if they don't get the first name either. And honestly, if you have no idea how to pronounce Siobhan, which isn't *that* rare, then you need to work on your literacy. Or worldliness. Or something.
  • Options
    And honestly, if you have no idea how to pronounce Siobhan, which isn't *that* rare, then you need to work on your literacy. Or worldliness. Or something.
    Lol. Agreed.
  • Options
    Lennon for a girl. Def gonna use it for a dog someday..

Aspen
    Ivy
    Clover

When we were naming my LO I was forbidden from bringing up names that are also plants haha
  • Options

Lennon for a girl. Def gonna use it for a dog someday..

Aspen
    Ivy
    Clover

When we were naming my LO I was forbidden from bringing up names that are also plants haha

Love Lennon for a girl, DH vetoed though.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    MarchABCMarchABC member
    edited October 2015
    Boomer and Bear for a boy. Clearly not real names but somehow fun for me. Definitely dog names.
  • Options
    Mine would prolly be Horizon for a girl. I don't think I could do it though - too odd, celeb like. Oh well one can dream.
    Me:28 (PCOS, DOR), DH: 32 (low morphology)
    TTC since March 2012
    2013-2014 - 6 rounds of Clomid - BFNs
    3 failed IUIs in 2015
    October 2015 - wait listed for IVF #1
    IVF #1 March 2016 - bfn, zero frosties!
    Femara cycle 1 May 2016 - POAS starting May 21st / beta testing May 25th....

• Options
    Oh my....I have so many of these.
    Girls:
    Britani (bri-taw-knee)
    Morrigan ( dragonage)
    Eowyn (LOTR)
    Troy (star trek)
    Dax (stark trek)
    Hel ( norse goddess)

Boys:
    Talon
    Tebais
    Jayne (firefly)
    Gwydion
    I really love some of these, but know they will never work. Sadly this just a small sampling of the names I love but could never use.
  • Options
    I love the name Caroline, but all the Carolines I know have had to deal with "Sweet Caroline" comments their whole lives. I couldn't do that to my kid! I don't know if that song is just super popular in my area because of football or if it's popular everywhere.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options

Guilty pleasures?

Gilligan, Jocasta, Juno, Amadeus, griffin, pixie, birdie.

They're terrible. And I love them.

I thought I was the only one with Jocasta on my list. When we read Oedipus Rex in hs, I feel in love with Jocasta. My mom was making fun of me recently about that one.

My cats name was Henry. Makes me lol when I see it on top baby name lists now because I can only associate it with a cat. He died two years ago and was my baby. I've actually asked DH if it would be weird to name our baby after the cat. I was vetoed ;)

cat fail animated GIF