October 2015 Moms
Options

Doctor won't call me back!

I just really need to rant here so bear with me. I called my doctor's office with a question and the receptionist said he'd give me a call. Well, no call, after several hours. So after the office hours I called L&D and the nurse said they're not allowed to give medical advice and I need to call my doctors office. So I called them again and got the after hours answering service. I gave them my name and number and they said they'd "try to get ahold of someone." So I'm waiting for someone to call me. I'm so frustrated and angry about this. My symptoms arent really concerning as they haven't gotten worse but I'm still thinking of going into L&D just so someone will talk to me!

Anyway, I don't have anything to add I just really needed to let this out. Thanks for reading.

Re: Doctor won't call me back!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    That's frustrating! Continue to follow up if you're concerned!
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen to me the other day. It wasn't a problem too concerning I just need Dr. Advice and I didn't get a call back until the next day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is my Dr's office as well..  In the beginning I called a few times   (4 tops - FTM, ya know)  and I got a call back ONCE! 1 out of 4.... not very good. 

Another time I called and got a nurse and I asked "what can I take OTC for gas pain/pressure"
    She proceeded to ask me 900 questions and finally just said... "go to the ER" 
    I said..."no, just answer my question about OTC gas meds"
    she said she would call me back...
    Two hours later I got a voicemail
    "your doctor said you can take xxxxxx" "Have a nice night"
    So with out even asking she was just going to willy-nilly send me to the ER to sit there for hours and wait like a GOMER for the ER staff to most likely laugh at me for needing to fart. 

Glad I stood up for my self on that one... normally I would have been like "okay, you're the nurse!" "whatever you say!"
  • Options
    I get that you're mad but there are only so many hours in the day. Your Dr could be at a birth or busy with other patients. Honestly I never call my doctor if I'm really worried I just go to the hospital but my healthcare is free so I can understand that not always being a possibility. I would almost think that in a way no news is good news. If they haven't called you back it could be that your symptoms are not something the Dr is immediately concerned about and will call you once they get a chance.
  • Options
    cmjn94 said:
    I just really need to rant here so bear with me. I called my doctor's office with a question and the receptionist said he'd give me a call. Well, no call, after several hours. So after the office hours I called L&D and the nurse said they're not allowed to give medical advice and I need to call my doctors office. So I called them again and got the after hours answering service. I gave them my name and number and they said they'd "try to get ahold of someone." So I'm waiting for someone to call me. I'm so frustrated and angry about this. My symptoms arent really concerning as they haven't gotten worse but I'm still thinking of going into L&D just so someone will talk to me! Anyway, I don't have anything to add I just really needed to let this out. Thanks for reading.

Reread this.  Everyone has busy days.  For all you know they had 5 births yesterday and 3 emergencies.  Sometimes they have to prioritize their patients especially if it's a big office.  I get it's frustrating but if you called about something that wasn't super rightthisminute important you may get put on the back burner.  THey should at least call you back within 24 hours to check in but back within a couple hours is a bit unrealistic for a non huge issue and going to labor and delivery just to talk to someone is a bit much IMO.  What was your issue? Perhaps someone here had something similar to help calm you.

• Options
    But the second you ask a question on the bump some one instantly replies, "If you're worried call your doctor." 

We. Are. Trying.

The struggle is reeeaaaaalll

• Options
    I think every doctor office is like that I called once with a concern and I got a call from her a day after it was upsetting I just thought to myself next time I feel somthing I shouldn't call I'm just gonna show up.
  • Options
    @kelsojohnso, It's crazy that the nurse couldn't just answer that question for you without having to give you a call back. You know that's not the first time she's been asked that!

My office gave a list on the very first visit of everything otc we could take listed by symptom and even had "try this first" or "take this only if others don't work", etc. It's really nice to have it right there when I need it.
  • Options
    I completely agree that doctors are busy, but in that case I'd still appreciate communication. Like "doctor isn't in let me ask another doctor at the practice" or "I can't talk to one right now but here is a time estimate." Just communication. But yeah I did think of that.
  • Options
    When I'm unable to get ahold of my doctor, I call my insurance company and they have an oncall nurse that I speak with. You could try doing that if you feel it isn't emergent?
  • Options
    That's a good suggestion too! :) I ended up going in for unrelated issues and everything checked out so I'm not too worried about. Even though I didn't get a call back I got the care I needed when I went in and that's what matters.