July 2015 Moms
Options

Still doing skin to skin?

The hospital I delivered at is really big on doing skin to skin and I did it basically all 4 days there, but have not done it again since. I read something today that it is beneficial to keep doing it for 3 months (or 6 months for preterm babies). Just wondering, are any of you still doing it and does your baby like it more than being swaddled?

Re: Still doing skin to skin?

• Options
    We still do skin to skin for our feeding in the morning and at night. My DD is 6 weeks old, and we will continue to do this for as long as feels right, I feel she feeds better, connects better and she wakes up better once I change her and keep her clothes off to feed. Not sure why but I guess it's just the connection they feel/we feel that helps the feedings better. It makes it special too! After our feedings I'll either dress her again or swaddle her for her nap time :) hope this helps, but just remember everyone is different and you do what feels right for you and your LO! :)
  • Options
    This sounds hippyish, even though I'm not at all a hippy dippy, but when I'm at home I pretty much just live in my bra top and comfy pants, rarely wear a top unless I know company will be over. I got into the habit of that being super pregnant in this super hot summer and just not caring. So yes, my 6 week old DD and I get quality skin to skin a lot of the time, probably 2 times a day at least, in the morning before I put on her day outfit and after her nightly bath. However, I don't notice a difference in her demeanor if we go a day without a skin on skin feeding session. Maybe long term benefits, but how could we really know? Just do what you can.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our daughter is 11 weeks and we still
    Do it. We actually don't really swaddle her anymore, she doesn't like it. But she LOVES the skin to skin :) I guess
    It just depends on the child
  • Options
    We still do occasionally, I wouldn't say daily, but a few times a week
  • Options
    It's been in the 90s-100s all summer in NC, so baby usually just wears a cloth diaper.  I wear DH's shirts and no bra at home.  When I nurse her, I lift my shirt up and she lays on my tummy.  She often perches there afterwards for a couple of hours.  So yes, we (unintentionally) practice skin to skin for several hours of the day, and most hours of the night.  LO is 6 weeks old.
  • Options
    ABubba said:

This sounds hippyish, even though I'm not at all a hippy dippy, but when I'm at home I pretty much just live in my bra top and comfy pants, rarely wear a top unless I know company will be over. I got into the habit of that being super pregnant in this super hot summer and just not caring. So yes, my 6 week old DD and I get quality skin to skin a lot of the time, probably 2 times a day at least, in the morning before I put on her day outfit and after her nightly bath. However, I don't notice a difference in her demeanor if we go a day without a skin on skin feeding session. Maybe long term benefits, but how could we really know? Just do what you can.

Me too. Always in a nursing bra.
  • Options
    Another one here who basically lives in underwear at home, so yeah baby girl just happens to get lots of skin-to-skin!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited September 2015
    My LO gets sweaty easily...I think he's hot-blooded like DH... So I started to put burp cloths or swaddlers on my chest when he lays on me otherwise he gets hot and fussy. With those in place, he sleeps for hours!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17