November 2015 Moms
Options

Someone stole my Baby name.

2»

Re: Someone stole my Baby name.

• Options
    @lesles89
    Here is what I suggest you do, keep the name if it is that important to you.
    BUT I would goto his cousin personally and explain to her that you are naming your child the name you have chosen and why. Tell her what it means to you, that you have had it chosen for a long long time and that you will not be changing it, and that you wanted to goto her personally so she didn't feel that you had copied a name she had chosen and to avoid all conflict.
    This is more between you and her than you and your father in law or anyone else other than her.

You said you don't know if you told her the name choice before but you know you told a few other people, it's not their responsibility to tell everyone else your name decision, they could have thought that you might have wanted to be the one to tell everyone, so i can see being upset but not upset with her bc she might not have known.
  • Options
    The OP's name is more common now, just fyi. And name your kid whatever you want, shouldn't matter.
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lesles89 I hear you on this. I chose my baby girls name like 10 years ago. My husband and I have been together that long a occasionally family conversation would venture into future children. I remember mentioning the name at least a couple of time and I cant be imagining it because when it became an issue several family members remembered. The issue was 3 years ago a close cousin of mine found out she was having a baby girl and more or less announced she was going to use the name. I was upset but I calmly spoke to her about it once and reminded her I intended to use that name from long ago. A couple of weeks later I found out she changed it to something different. We never spoke of it again and we are still close today. I'd suggest have a calm conversation explaining your intended use and reason. Then if it means that much to you, like it did me - use it. Maybe call dibs on a nickname and that will be the difference at your father in laws house.
  • Options
    lesles89 said:
    I do not feel as tho I own the name. Maybe I should reword it, it was the name I had choose , long before I even got pregnant, it has sentimental meaning to me. I never kept my name a secret, tho maybe I should have...? I don't recall weather or not I shared the name with her or not. I do know her aunt knew and I do know I told her mom, regardless it was never kept a secret. I do not care that our kids would have the same name but somehow I think SHE WOULD. My main concern was not clarify that I had chosen it first but to Ask advice to see weather it would be awkward if I still used it. We are related , kind of , and do see them from time to time, plus her kids spend ALOT of time at my father in laws place. Which might be awkward for him...? I don't know. I guess I should just talk to him about it.... And I don't want to start a family fight over something so stupid. You have no idea what kind of ppl I'm dealing with here, the type that might get all pissed off and worked up over a copied name. I'm not sure if I should talk to his cousin about it or just do what I want. I really have no idea how to go about dealing with the situation. All the while dealing with extra hormones and emotions. This name wa special to me because of my parents, both of which are now gone, so you can imagine my disappointment when someone used the chosen name, which was supposed to be unique... It's just alot
    I think you should straight up ask her why she named her baby that, or if she knew you picked out that name. Then proceed to name your baby that name. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

well they find out it's actually a girl and decided on Kalliope for her name.

Just as an aside, How do you pronounce that? I've never seen it before
  • Options
    lesles89 said:

Since before I was pregnant I had my girls name chosen. My husband wasn't on board at first but he eventually came around. I'm 7 months pregnant and my husbands step cousin just had a baby girl and guess what name she used? Mine. Now I can't say for
    Sure weather she intentionally stole it or not, regardless it's the same. I honestly could care less if our kids have the same name, even if they are born so close together(August and supposed to be November) BUT. Her kids spend a lot of time at my father in laws. Do I say eff it and use the name anyways and potentially start a huge fight and sever all family ties? Or do I just accept it, move on, and look for a different name? I'm totally heartbroken and this is a tough call for me to make.

Use the name. If your family would be that dramatic to "sever all ties" with you over a name, then it doesn't sound like they're healthy to be around anyway and maybe you could do with that distance being in place before the baby comes.

I'd be heartbroken if my baby was ill, not over it having the same name as someone else.

• Options
    mollypuss1, it's pronounced cal-eye-o-pee
  • Options
    missphilmissphil member
    edited September 2015

mollypuss1, it's pronounced cal-eye-o-pee

Yep- and in different European countries they pronounce it Kal-ee-oh-peh..
    It's a Greek name