1st Trimester
Options

Air Travel Tips?

Ok. I have a job where I fly a lot. I'm 6 (almost 7) weeks and I'm heading out in a few days.

My symptoms have gotten more intense this past week. Exhaustion, sore muscles, mild nausea. So bloated and just overall blah. And, naturally, having to pee every other second.

Anyone have any good tips for air travel? Medications to ease the situation? Good pillows? Best things to drink/eat?

I flew at least 4 times in the earlier weeks (before knowing I was pregs), but I didn't have crazy symptoms yet. Any advice to ease my panic would help!

Re: Air Travel Tips?

• Options
    ecwkecwk member
    Ok so you should talk to your doctor about medication for your nausea if it gets unbearable. Make sure you have water and snacks (nuts / fruit) on hand. Have flight socks and walk up and down the aisle often to help circulation in your legs. Ask for an aisle seat close to the bathroom so you can go pee easily! I like to have earplugs to block out the loud noises and maybe bring an eye mask if you want to sleep. Bring a hoody in case you get cold. Pack light so you aren't dragging along a lot of weight (not good for your back!) I have an awesome neck pillow, I think it is memory foam and it's really thick and supports my neck so so well. I don't know the brand but I got it at the airport and I see them there all the time. If there is a body scanner thing at the airport you can request a pat down instead if you want. Oh, and wear comfortable shoes. That's all I can think of right now! Good luck :) 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Really appreciate your tips. I definitely need to up my travel socks game and get a good neck pillow...the one I have now is a sad excuse.
    Unfortunately, my seat is in aisle 5 (at least it's an aisle seat)...and it's in the main cabin, so it'll be a bit of a trek to the bathroom. (It's part of my de-board quickly strategy.)

Will stock up the fruits and nuts (I wish airports sold more fresh fruit!)
    Thanks again!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member

Bring some fruit with you, you can take it on board! Or have I been unknowingly but illegally smuggling fruit...? 
    This is pretty much the pillow I have https://magento.cabeau.com/evolution-travel-neck-pillow.html so definitely check it out, it's awesome! And it comes in so many pretty colours! I love that you have a de-board strategy -  you got this, girl! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Everything @ecwk is awesome advice. I'm a flight attendant, 10 wk along. Luckily I haven't had any nausea except for two times while flying. My doc said that she can prescribe an anti nausea medication for me to take during flights, you should ask your doctor about it. Make sure you have plenty of water and try to do some extra moisturizing before the flight because the air is so incredibly dry on the plane. Try to bring all your own snacks because airplane food is loaded with sodium and you don't need any of that on top of already being bloated. Fly safe!
  • Options
    Lots of snacks, a water and a ginger ale, an aisle seat, and to be safe opt for the pat down instead of big scanner. The metal detector kind is safer (I think) although they'll tell you both are safe. My flight at 9 weeks I asked the agent if I could go through the metal detector instead of big modern scanner (saw other people getting permission for that, especially those with small children). He asked if I had a red stamp on my ticket. I said no but I'm pregnant. He said he can't let me opt for the metal detector unless I had a red stamp on my ticket but I could opt for a pat down, which I did. Had to wait awkwardly to the side for like 15 min as he repeatedly yelled out for "female to assist with the opt out" which was embarrassing but I'm glad I did it. So, if you can, find out how to get the magic red stamp!
  • Options
    Thanks for all these tips!!! Time to get me a proper neck pillow and a sack of clementines for this upcoming flight.

And I never would have thought about the scanner vs metal detector! You ladies are pros at this!
  • Options
    You can also tell the flight attendants that you are pregnant. Last time, they gave me a giant bottle of water and came to check on me often.
                                                                                  image