June 2015 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday - 8/26

what opinions do you have that may be UNPOPULAR? something maybe a little controversial, something that makes you usually bite your tongue - or gets others riled up?

Here's the space for that, and hopefully some healthy discussion and maybe debate!

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday - 8/26

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree @virginiaunicorn11. It gives me a sense of pride, but also reassures me that most people aren't just big grumps; they love babies and are not just annoyed when they scream or act out. Also, it's refreshing that people will take the time to interact instead of trying to get their shopping/whatever they're doing done in record time. It's the little things. :x
  • Options

I enjoy watching Fox News every day to see what the latest on Donald Trump is! Not sure he's the best GOP candidate, but he sure gets everyone riled up! I think the country needs to get riled up about something other than "black lives matter." Sheesh.

Yes!!!! The sad truth is the Don is saying what people are thinking, and he's not afraid to say it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @virginiaunicorn11 I agree with you about Donald Trump. He's an absolute embarrassment to the nation and I shudder to think of what we'd be in for if he were to be elected president.

As for the Black Lives Matter movement, I applaud their mission of stopping institutionalized racism. That certainly needs to end. What bothers me about the movement is that I've seen some of the more radical activists in the movement make pretty broad, and frankly, racist, statements against whites. I understand where those feelings come from, but some of the more belligerent sentiments scare me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have major anxiety about over-population. Like the way that anti-immigration nut jobs feel about the US, I feel that way about our entire planet. I'm a judgmental bitch about large families. 

Guess you wouldn't like mine then... proud member of a family of 6 kids right here. It was the best way to grow up, and I fully intend to follow in my parents' footsteps.
  • Options
    @ChardeeMacDennis haha!! I didn't mean to start a war. I knew it'd be unpopular, though.
    On the teething necklace thing....agreed. What the heck?! For the longest time I didn't know what they even were and couldn't figure out why people were adorning their babies with ugly necklaces.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

We are sleep training the second it is okay (I believe 4 months). Literally the day he turns 4 months. It literally makes me excited.

I'm starting a count down. I know some people think it's terrible, but it works. DS consistently slept through the night for 12 hours starting about 4.5 months. And it only took 3 days and the last day he cried for 3 min (I timed it). Lack of sleep makes me angry and an angry mama doesn't do anyone any good.
    I'm glad it works for some people! I'm afraid to do it - my mom tried it with one of my brothers and it caused severe separation anxiety, to the point where he used to have to call her from the office when he got to school because he was so afraid something had happened to her. Thankfully, my LO sleeps well so I don't have to think about trying it. I'm sure that if I were constantly trying to function on no sleep, I'd be willing to try just about anything!
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 and @mellymar I put so much pressure on myself to do the monthly photos. I did it super late last time and only put something together because DH wanted to.
  • Options
    I just realized I can sometimes just post my UO all over everything and now there is a thread for it.. And pretty much anything left I haven't said is getting covered
  • Options
    @KarasTwin Gasp... You don't like the walking dead? That is unpopular! Although, funny story, it actually made me throw up during my first trimester. I guess I couldn't stomach it.

@423ang I'm sorry, but how can you like pumping? No judgement, just honestly, what about it do you like? : )
  • Options
    @423ang I think if I didn't have a baby that it was impacting and was taking up time, I'd totally be into pumping for a little, trying to see how much milk I could get with different strategies. I wish you could start while pregnant. It'd be nice to have a stash before they get here!!

Oh and I hate that people give their 1 year old cake on their birthday. I think it starts bad habits with sugar. A one year old doesn't care at that point. You aren't depriving him by doing something else. I'm not doing processed sugar until he can rationally choose to want it.
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

HayesRN13 said:

^^my baby's UO is he doesn't like pacifiers. Hands are just fine, thankyouverymuch!

This! I wish mine would take a paci.. Heck I would be happy with a thumb.. But nope he is determined to get both fists all the way in.. He practices all day long .. Bugs me I have to fight his hands just to feed him

THIS. My kid thinks her name is "Get Your Damn Hands Out Of Your Mouth" as I tug on them to sneak the bottle in there...

My UO is that I think it's ok to judge YooNique and trendy baby names. This article, and its comments of moms seeking approval for their Azzalynnnz and Presleys and whatnot made me stabby: https://www.scarymommy.com/the-wrong-name/?section=the-name-game

The only legit reason for non-traditional names, in my opinion, is for cultural, racial or ethnic reasons.
    Ditto! But then... Our LO's name is my grandfather's and his middle name is German/Dutch. And though it is traditional, it turns out to have zero Google hits. So while it's definitely not made up by any means, suddenly I probably have to shut my mouth about Yoonik names. (We just liked the names, we weren't trying to be speshul.)

@HayesRN13 - that's why I like you. But probably because I usually agree with you!
  • Options
    ^^my baby's UO is he doesn't like pacifiers. Hands are just fine, thankyouverymuch!
    This! I wish mine would take a paci.. Heck I would be happy with a thumb.. But nope he is determined to get both fists all the way in.. He practices all day long .. Bugs me I have to fight his hands just to feed him
    THIS. My kid thinks her name is "Get Your Damn Hands Out Of Your Mouth" as I tug on them to sneak the bottle in there... My UO is that I think it's ok to judge YooNique and trendy baby names. This article, and its comments of moms seeking approval for their Azzalynnnz and Presleys and whatnot made me stabby: https://www.scarymommy.com/the-wrong-name/?section=the-name-game The only legit reason for non-traditional names, in my opinion, is for cultural, racial or ethnic reasons.
    Ditto! But then... Our LO's name is my grandfather's and his middle name is German/Dutch. And though it is traditional, it turns out to have zero Google hits. So while it's definitely not made up by any means, suddenly I probably have to shut my mouth about Yoonik names. (We just liked the names, we weren't trying to be speshul.) @HayesRN13 - that's why I like you. But probably because I usually agree with you!
    I'll definitely accept "familial reasons" to my list of reasonable unique names ;)
  • Options
    423ang said:

I actually like pumping.

This makes me jealous.. I HATE IT. I hate the feeling, the cleaning and parts everywhere, the sound...everything... Plus pumping just doesn't work well for me,LO is much better at emptying my boobs. But I have to pump especially going back to work in October I better suck it up.