June 2015 Moms

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday - 8/26

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday - 8/26

• @kes166 I think that's great!
    I think we'll have 4, but children are such a blessing and gift from God, so if He chose to give us more, we'd be happy. :)

And.....I sort of like pumping sometimes. I like to see how much I can get! I think it's amazing how our bodies are designed! But, I don't have to pump for going back to work and it's not something I have to do (I do once per day), so I get where that would be stressful.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's exactly how I feel about it, @lindsladle15!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I couldn't wait to get back to work. I love my kids but staying home with them leads to PPD for me. I never get my head straight until I'm back to work.
  • I really don't think it's okay to post your student's artwork online, especially to demonstrate that this child has an unusual name. It just strikes me as mean.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Ryan Gosling isn't my type...

Too skinny and face is too long
  • @CillyMama I was subbing long term in a classroom, and the teacher had an alpha and omega. I am pretty sure when the assistant principal saw that he decided hey lets give this teacher some laughs!
  • I had a student named Vijaya a few years back. Very sweet girl. But I had to call her "V" because I couldn't say it in front of a class of middle schoolers without someone cracking up.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had a student named Vijaya a few years back. Very sweet girl. But I had to call her "V" because I couldn't say it in front of a class of middle schoolers without someone cracking up.

Was she Caucasian???? In the end no excuse Haha there's no reason to ever do this to your children.

If you think you'll ever move to another country research it! My husband (asian) wanted to use a name for our daughter that's a really racist word here but a beautiful name there. I wanted ollie for a boy but that meant devil in his language so we had to search and find one that's not offensive in both languages.

I always feel sorry for Vietnamese with the name phuc yu haha
  • Germans are very straightforward, and our kid's first name is not known there. Their reactions were hilarious! When people asked his name, we'd have to first say, "He's named after my grandfather who passed away in September, so it's X."
    They'd be a little less mean with that preface.

Before we started doing that, we got some very strong reactions. One person said, "I am surprised you were able to get that approved for the birth certificate." And there were a lot of scrunched noses.

Then they'd ask if he had a middle name. We'd tell it (it's German), and without fail, they'd say, "Oh good." Or even, "Phew!"

Do you mind me asking LO's name?

My SIL is Swiss German, lively girl but she has the sense of humour of a cardboard box.
  • edited August 2015

Germans are very straightforward, and our kid's first name is not known there. Their reactions were hilarious! When people asked his name, we'd have to first say, "He's named after my grandfather who passed away in September, so it's X."
    They'd be a little less mean with that preface.

Before we started doing that, we got some very strong reactions. One person said, "I am surprised you were able to get that approved for the birth certificate." And there were a lot of scrunched noses.

Then they'd ask if he had a middle name. We'd tell it (it's German), and without fail, they'd say, "Oh good." Or even, "Phew!"

Do you mind me asking LO's name?

My SIL is Swiss German, lively girl but she has the sense of humour of a cardboard box.
    I'm sorry, but I'm being a freak about not posting it because there are no Google hits with that name. And I don't know enough about technology to know where/when I need to worry about anonymity. (I'm actually more worried about coworkers seeing posts about my virginia than anything related to LO, lol)

ETA: that part about your SIL cracks me up! And true about sense of humor - people weren't joking when they made these comments! We just decided to respond as if they were jokes.
  • mishmardhionomishmardhiono member
    edited August 2015
    @virginiaunicorn11 all good totally understandable.

My UO maybe fits here is I discharged my LO from hospital last night.

She hasn't been feeding properly, we had this Young doctor come along and tell me she has stage 2 bronchilitis and needs to be admitted and dosed up on antibiotics. I pushed and argued for a urine sample that she didn't want to do. I'd just seen my doctor the day before who said she was perfectly good. The kids either side of us had whooping cough so I said I wanted to seek 2nd opinion before they start all this shit for the opinion of a very young doctor and exposing LO to a disease that could kill her. They couldn't provide 2nd opinion so I discharged her to take her o my gp 3 hrs later. As I was leaving the dr told me that if she died overnight I should know it was preventable (WTF?). Went to dr, nothing wrong with her chest, hospital called me back in she has a UTI which has effected her feeding. No chest problems at all. Then the bitchy little dr said "see I told you she was unwell" so I replied with I'm aware she wasn't well but you totally misdiagnosed my daughter and wanted to put catheters, canulas and NGT in for no good reason
  • I guess posting a picture of a kid's name was an UO after all! There was really no ill intent behind it. Just wanted to share how funny it is that parents would name their kids after alcoholic drinks. It did however bring attention to how I should be more aware when posting student work, which I can appreciate.

It just didn't seem like that big a deal to me since I have teacher friends that post student work on social media all the time. Either to show lessons they've taught or to poke fun. Usually it's for a good laugh. Some teachers post pictures or videos of or with their students, which personally, is not a boundary I would cross.

@mishmardhiono so sorry you had to go through that with your LO. I'm glad you trusted your instincts and left the hospital. I hope she feels better soon!
  • @mishmardhiono wow!! I'm glad your LO is okay and that you were able to get her a second opinion and proper care. The doctor's comments were so inappropriate, so sorry you had to deal with that
  • @enigmaticjj, I agree, if we can go through pregnancy and childbirth, plus healing, they can suck it up and wear condoms!  DH has never complained.  I don't particularly enjoy them, but we both agree it's for the best until I start back on birth control.
  • Also I am still not ready to leave LO with anyone besides DH. MIL is helping in the morning while DH is sleeping in the other room and I am already having anxiety about it.
  • @423ang Oh, I see. So it's not like you find pumping exhilarating on a Friday night- you like the freedom. I can agree with that!
  • Yes miss you @ElRuby !!!