2nd Trimester
Options

Is there something wrong with me?

Hi I am 31 and a first time mommy to be. I am due in Feb and I am starting to get nervous when I think of people holding my child. I feel like I don't want any of my family holding my baby and like I will get angry when it happens. I know everyone in my family has held babies before. I am seriously freaking out about it, like they won't hold my child right or hurt it neck. Is this normal? What the neck is wrong with me?

Re: Is there something wrong with me?

• Options

Hi I am 31 and a first time mommy to be. I am due in Feb and I am starting to get nervous when I think of people holding my child. I feel like I don't want any of my family holding my baby and like I will get angry when it happens. I know everyone in my family has held babies before. I am seriously freaking out about it, like they won't hold my child right or hurt it neck. Is this normal? What the neck is wrong with me?

It's normal to feel nervous about other holding your baby, but it's a little peculiar that you're getting this upset about it. I think you should try to relax and realize it's inevitable. Other people will have to hold your child at some point.
  • Options
    I don't know if it's normal or not, but it sounds like it's possibly your hormones causing you to be in overprotective mommy-mode or you have no experience with newborns and infants. I'm also pregnant with my first child, but have been babysitting since a teen and volunteered in the nursery for umpteen years at church. It's not a big deal at all. It's probably nerve-wracking the first time, but just keep the head supported and don't drop the baby and everything will go smoothly. Lol. If your family has held newborns before, they are familiar with this and will be fine. If you still feel uncomfortable, ask the L&D nurse to demonstrate it for you so you're comfortable showing family members how to hold your baby. Congrats on your pregnancy, and best wishes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I don't know if it's normal or not but I haven't even begun to think about that. I'm due in February too.

I think it'll be something you need or should get over...
  • Options
    After your third day without a shower you will hand your baby to a monkey haha. No but if you are having that much anxiety tell your Ob. It's normal to some degree but if it's that bad it's an issue you need to address.
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • Options
    After your third day without a shower you will hand your baby to a monkey haha. No but if you are having that much anxiety tell your Ob. It's normal to some degree but if it's that bad it's an issue you need to address.
    This! It's totally normal to have irrational fears when you are a FTM. Try to stay calm and tell yourself you will see how you feel after baby is here. Honestly, it's pretty hard for someone to hurt a baby by simply holding them wrong. They are flexible enough to be squished out of a small and tight canal in all kinds of crazy positions, they are meant to be bendy and resiliant. I can't tell you how many people I know that dropped their baby at some point early on or they slipped off a couch or got knocked over in a bouncy seat by a sibling (this may have happened in my house) -- all of them are perfectly fine. They are much more resliliant that you would think. I think it is reasonable to ask people to hold them sitting down if you are really worried about it. 

• Options

This is a normal fear. I'd suggest having the baby first. Your feelings most likely will change when you have to eat/sleep/poop and you haven't slept more than 2 hours in the last three days.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    There's a difference between every so often starting to worry about these irrational things, and constantly dwelling on it. When you say "I'm seriously freaking out about it" it worries me that you are developing an anxiety disorder. If this is something you cannot take your mind off of, I would talk to your doctor. Because even though some irrational fears are normal, they can easily turn into a mental disorder.
  • Options
    There's a difference between every so often starting to worry about these irrational things, and constantly dwelling on it. When you say "I'm seriously freaking out about it" it worries me that you are developing an anxiety disorder. If this is something you cannot take your mind off of, I would talk to your doctor. Because even though some irrational fears are normal, they can easily turn into a mental disorder.