Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Gideon

AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
My current name infatuation is Gideon. It feels classic but not overdone, which I like. My questions:

-What do you think of when you hear the name? My first association was Gideon from Criminal Minds, then Molly Weasley's brother in HP (which is probably more obscure, haha).
-Big brother is Caleb, I like the sibset but I'd love to hear thoughts.
-Where do you look for reliable meaning? I'm finding different things on different websites.
-In general is it TOO old testament church-y? I like Biblical names just fine, but I don't know if it has the same feel as, say, Jedidiah, Solomon, or Lazarus (which are perfectly fine names, but not my style).

Thanks in advance, ladies!

ETA: Forgot to ask, what nicknames could we use, if any? And what unfortunate nicknames do you foresee in his life?
Married 8.5.12
Caleb born 10.9.13
2.0 due 2.1.16

Re: Thoughts on Gideon

• Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited August 2015
    Love it. I have always loved the name but have a friend with the name so it would be weird to use it.
    As for Old Testament-y I think it's both normal enough and a great role model should if they look up the story - which is not true of all OT names!

Edited for typos.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    if it's good enough for neil patrick harris (love him) it's good enough for me. LOL. it is definitely unique though. don't hear it often at all.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrstrax said:
    Love it. I have always loved the name but have a friend with the name so it would be weird to use it. As for Old Testament-y I think it's both normal enough and a great role model shoutout if they look up the story - which is not true of all OT names!
    That's what I was hoping (regarding the Old Testament aspect). I *think* it goes in the category of Ezra and Noah and Jonah where it's not toooo out there, but I wanted some good feedback on that. :) Thank you!
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    jenfarm3 said:
    if it's good enough for neil patrick harris (love him) it's good enough for me. LOL. it is definitely unique though. don't hear it often at all.
    Oooh yes! I forgot his son is Gideon. And his daughter is Harper, right? That's adorable. I want to be in their family. :x

Annnnyway. haha

I don't love anything too unique, but I haven't ever met anyone with the name IRL. But at least it's not youneek, eh?
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    jenfarm3 said:
    Oooh yes! I forgot his son is Gideon. And his daughter is Harper, right? That's adorable. I want to be in their family. :x

Annnnyway. haha

I don't love anything too unique, but I haven't ever met anyone with the name IRL. But at least it's not youneek, eh?
    Yeah, I believe their daughter is Harper. Their family is totally adorbs. Can't even. Anyway!

No, definitely not youneek. It's a good name. :)
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Options
    Love it and think it pairs with Caleb. 

I also think of Neil Patrick Harris

I'm not religious but many names scream religious and Gideon does not for me.

For the most part I look at behind the name for meanings

• Options
    I really like it, nice choice!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Love Gideon.

I always check Behindthename.Com for meanings and history.
  • Options
    Love Gideon. I always check Behindthename.Com for meanings and history.
    Okay this site is awesome. Thank you. I'm looking at all the names on my list here. :)

We don't name kiddos until they're born (and we're team green) but I can safely say Gideon is my top choice now for a boy and will be on the "seriously consider" list if H likes it. Which I think he will.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    I don't mind Gideon, but I knows baby with that name and everyone calls him Giddy. I would hate that nickname!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I don't mind Gideon, but I knows baby with that name and everyone calls him Giddy. I would hate that nickname!
    Aww yeah I don't like that much. That's actually a question I forgot to ask in my OP, potential nicknames. Hmm.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Peoe here love it, but I've just never been a fan. Might be a personal association thing though.

I also had a Gideon in class who had a brother named Caleb!

• Options
    I love Gideon, it's one of my favourite names
  • Options
    I like it and I totally thought of Gideon from Criminal Minds!
  • Options
    My friend Gideon is almost always Gideon, and rarely Gid as a nn. Definitely not Giddy - that's so bad!
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    I love it! I think it sounds great with Caleb.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    I love it. It does make me think "Gideon's Bible," but that's irrelevant. It's a really cool name.

imageimage
  • Options
    I love Gideon. Strong, masculine, classic, and not overdone! It doesn't sound super Old Testament-y to me (although that's my first association with it). As a sibset with Caleb, it sounds more Biblical simply because Caleb is also an Old Testament name, but I don't think they're on the same level as Jedidiah and Lazarus at all. I say go for it!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love it. It does make me think "Gideon's Bible," but that's irrelevant. It's a really cool name.
    I forgot about those! Thanks for reminding me. That's something to keep in mind for sure.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Gideon's a great name...really can't go wrong. I can't think of any associations in regards to famous books or movies. As PP suggested, maybe the Gideon's Bible? But I didn't immediately think of it. Plus associated with a Bible is not a bad thing IMO. I think you picked a good one!
  • Options
    I think it sounds a little pretentious for some reason, but I'm in the minority.
  • Options
    I think it sounds a little pretentious for some reason, but I'm in the minority.
    Haha I could see that. Behind the Name users did rate it "Upper Class" (at least 72% of them did).
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    UO but this name is totally nms.  A legit name though so it gets a point there.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • Options
    I want to love it, mostly because I love biblical names, but I'm not sure?

It reminds me of a character in the book Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I loved the book and the character was overall a good guy. But I think he's the reason I have a hard time picturing a baby or little boy Gideon?

I bet it could grow on me though. As for nicknames, I don't think there are any decent ones, but that's ok.
  • Options
    Immediately makes me think of the movie, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". It was a favorite, growing up. Annnnnd Gideon was my favorite brother. It's no longer a name choice for me, however, because I named my first puppy that was all mine Gideon. <3 GREAT name.
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    UO here but I can't get behind it. It doesn't fit a little baby or a child or teen IMO. But it is a legit name and it is strong. And actually it sounds great with Caleb. Anyway, I'm in the minority so I think you should stick with it.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like it and it sounds good with Caleb. You could Deon as a nn if you wanted.
  • Options
    I LOVE the name Gideon. It was in our top 3 if we had another boy.
  • Options
    I wouldn't side eye it at all. I'm also a fan of the sightly forgotten names, so I think this one is great. I'm not religious at all so I didn't make any kind of biblical references to it.

As for nicknames, I'm terrible and use terrible nicknames so I'd probably call a toddler Gideon giddy but for a real nickname, Eon (or however you'd actually spell it) sounds perfectly safe and normal to me.
  • Options
    I guess I'm in the minority here but I dislike Gideon :/ it makes me think of the word hideous. But that's obviously just me. Props for using a masculine, uncommon name for (maybe) baby boy.
  • Options
    I like Gideon. I know two of them, have good associations with the name, and they both go fully by Gideon (no nickname)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Sibset sounds good

I've never met anyone with the first name Gideon, but my Latin teacher in high school was Ms. Gideon and it was one of my favorite classes so I have a positive association with the name. I think of it as one of those last name as a first name, type of names.

I can't think of any way kids would tease with that name either.
    The only nn I could suggest would be Deon
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I think it sounds really dorky.
  • Options
    I think of the Crossfire books...and then the Bible...super opposite, but I like the name. And it's a Disney character from Pinocchio. 
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Gideon either and I don't think it sounds particularly pleasing. I don't have any negative associations with it though and wouldn't side eye as being too religious or for any other reason.
  • Options
    Makes me think of the Crossfire books as well, too awkward for me.
  • Options
    I like it a lot. I think of criminal minds. It doesn't sound overly biblical to me, and it makes a great sibset.
  • Options
    I love it. I think of the Bible first, but I love biblical names. Works well as a sibset with Caleb.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think of the bible right away...but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't use Gideon myself but I don't mind it on someone else's kid...
  • Options
    I love this name! I think it's such a strong, masculine name :)

Me (31) & DH (35) #DFDubClub
    TTC since August 2013 - Break: Jan-June 2014
    Everything looks good on me so far.  Going in for U/S in Oct just to be absolutely sure everything is good.
    SA for DH pending.