April 2016 Moms

Face booking it ?

13»

Re: Face booking it ?

• I haven't yet decided when I will announce our pregnancy on FB, but don't want to do it too early in fear of being the Jessica Simpson on pregnancy and have people thinking that I'm eternally pregnant.

• And third !!! I didn't ask for opinions and was still going to "do what I want" please go re read the top! I never asked for opinions on if I should or shouldn't !!! It was asking what other mommas do and when they announce. !!! So you got all the rubbed wrong way for
    Nothing !!

As another loss mama, trying my hardest to get pregnant with my rainbow baby, I was "rubbed the wrong way" because of this:

lol because I can :)

You CAN do a lot of things. Whether or not you can do them tactfully is another barrel of monkeys. And for you now to be accusing other users who've experienced losses of getting their "panties in a wad" is insensitive, and calling other users "mean girls" for not hopping on the facebook train is so beyond childish. No one here is being a "mean girl." People are offering differing opinions in a public forum.

Tact. Look it up.

Sorry for your loss.
    Hope this one goes well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was "outed" on Facebook by a well-meaning friend the first time around...this was around 8 weeks. It really stunk because then I was repeatedly told how "brave" I was by friends who'd had losses, which really dampened the jovial spirit of the whole thing. We announced around 12 weeks for my second, but then suffered a loss. So, we're slowly telling close family and friends and will probably announce on Facebook only after we've gotten my 10 week bloodwork back as well as the 12 week scan. To each their own, though, I certainly understand not being able to keep it in, it's exciting news!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I will probably announce on FB next week. I'll be 7 1/2 weeks then. My first appt and sono is on Tues, which also the first day of school for my two boys. I'm thinking about saying something like big day at our house today/ first day of school and fist sneak peek at blessing number 3 with the standard first day of school pics of my boys and see if people notice
  • Not really sure yet. For sure after the first trimester but I'll probably wait until we know the gender and do it all at once
  • The contradiction between asking for opinions ("too early?") and then saying that you are not looking for opinions is mind-boggling. This is an Internet forum and the beauty of these threads is that other members get to see a variety of opinions and viewpoints. So long as we all follow TOU and maintain a welcoming environment for all, we can benefit from various angles.

Your ill-conceived notion that I value one person's losses above another's is absurd. The point that I was trying to make was that your verbiage and usage of emoticons was both condescending and came off as déclassé following a woman explaining her reasoning for not announcing. I'm certain you did not mean it in that way but I felt it was extremely important to address the situation in order to maintain said welcoming environment for all.

Anyhow, wishing you a h&h 9.

Thank you. Same as you !
  • DH and I both have a lot of family out of state so we will be doing a FB announcement of some sort. Close relatives will get phone calls of course, but to all cousins, second cousins etc it's a lot easier that way. We are going to wait until 2nd Tri or week 13 just to be safe. I also am FB friends with my boss and a lot of co-workers so I want to tell them before putting anything online. 

DD#1 born 3/28/16

• You're not the only one doing it! I'm the same way. I'm from TX where all my friends and family are, but I live in PA with my husband. We will probably wait till about 10 weeks, that's what I did with my first. And I'm not entirely sure whAt we are going to do yet either.. But I can assure you you're not the only one! It's easier to update everyone back home at once since I don't have many people here. I of course told the very important people first personally, and the rest of my casual friends and family will find out via FB.
  • We live in a small town and with my last pregnancy we announced on FB at about 7 weeks. I have 4 boys (oldest is 8, twins turned 7 a few days ago, baby is 2.5) and we were shocked we got preg the first try in feb. Yes I did announce early but we were all THRILLED. .. and after all.... I had had healthy easy pregnancies. Sadly... we lost the baby at 11 weeks.... the heart just stopped. And so did my world. And honestly. ... it was easier posting our loss on FB than it was telling ppl in person. I literally had hundreds and hundreds of prayer warriors praying for me. And that's ok.... if you are like us and very public. And it's ok if you are like others and very private.

This time I'm leaning towards holding off on the new announcement. ... not because I think it causes the evil eye on baby or because I don't want to explain a loss etc... but mostly because I don't want others telling our kids we are having a baby and I am not ready to tell them yet. our loss was just this past April and it was HORRIBLE on my 8 yr old... horrible.

I think whatever you do should be happy and joyful and not forced. Do what feels right for you :)
  • After 4+ years of infertility I'm on cloud 9 about our pregnancy. We've already told most of the family at 4w, and DH and I will announce on FB. We haven't decided if we'll do it after our first U/S or wait until the 1 trimester is over. We're very public ppl and think a FB loss announcement would be easier for me to handle then 30 phone calls.
    Also, I think uterus pics are cute
    me (30) DH (30)
    TTC #1 since 02/2011
    Finally a BFP on 08/08/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 9wks is far to early to announce a pregnancy in my opinion, especially on a social media site.
    I don't understand why the urgency to tell so early anyway.
  • Cat&Baby said:
    After 4+ years of infertility I'm on cloud 9 about our pregnancy. We've already told most of the family at 4w, and DH and I will announce on FB. We haven't decided if we'll do it after our first U/S or wait until the 1 trimester is over. We're very public ppl and think a FB loss announcement would be easier for me to handle then 30 phone calls. Also, I think uterus pics are cute
    Really? Out of curiosity- why? That gets you blocked on my FB feed.
  • You should do what feels right for you. I don't understand the secrecy. I told my mom half an hour after peeing on the stick (hubby knew in seconds- I see these cute Pinterest things about how to tell your hubby you're pregnant and they are so cute but I couldn't wait long enough for the pee to dry let alone be creative!). We told siblings and parents the very next day and my MIL joked that she didn't understand why we waited a whole day to tell her. :) We want to share our joy and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't "jinx" the pregnancy. This is my first time through this and I know pregnancies can go away but it won't be because I was happy during the weeks it was here. I like being able to share with my girlfriends how I'm feeling and get input from people who have been there. I don't understand why that has to wait until week 12 or why I should go through these weeks alone or only with my hubby who has no clue about any of it.
    I haven't shared on social media yet mainly because I love telling people in person. If I could just tell one person per day for the entirety of my first trimester it would be a highlight of every day, kind of a way to balance out the other things associated with this pregnancy, (namely all the nausea!)

I heard some good advice (because I shared my preggo status with a wise lady) and I think it applies no matter when you decide to share your news: Don't spend your entire pregnacy so scared of what could happen that you don't enjoy what is happening. Enjoy your pregnacy because it will be over before you know it. We don't have control over anything but our attitude. It's an amazing thing we are doing!
  • smithers01smithers01 member
    edited August 2015
    I am totally one of the ones that likes the uterus pics too lol! I never thought of them as uterus pics until I read it on here. To me it's just a beautiful sign of a baby growing.
    Everyone thinks differently and that's what makes all of us who we are. It's ok we think different. I don't get the secrecy either. What I've learned just from posting this is it's all just personal preference! If you want to post at 6 weeks and show that uterus well you go ahead Glen Coco do your thing. If you want to wait until second trimester or not even announce on fb well more power to you also !
  • You should do what feels right for you. I don't understand the secrecy. I told my mom half an hour after peeing on the stick (hubby knew in seconds- I see these cute Pinterest things about how to tell your hubby you're pregnant and they are so cute but I couldn't wait long enough for the pee to dry let alone be creative!). We told siblings and parents the very next day and my MIL joked that she didn't understand why we waited a whole day to tell her. :) We want to share our joy and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't "jinx" the pregnancy. This is my first time through this and I know pregnancies can go away but it won't be because I was happy during the weeks it was here. I like being able to share with my girlfriends how I'm feeling and get input from people who have been there. I don't understand why that has to wait until week 12 or why I should go through these weeks alone or only with my hubby who has no clue about any of it.
    I haven't shared on social media yet mainly because I love telling people in person. If I could just tell one person per day for the entirety of my first trimester it would be a highlight of every day, kind of a way to balance out the other things associated with this pregnancy, (namely all the nausea!)

I heard some good advice (because I shared my preggo status with a wise lady) and I think it applies no matter when you decide to share your news: Don't spend your entire pregnacy so scared of what could happen that you don't enjoy what is happening. Enjoy your pregnacy because it will be over before you know it. We don't have control over anything but our attitude. It's an amazing thing we are doing!

I love everything you said !!!
    :x
  • I'm going to Florida with my mom and we leave the day I turn 12 weeks. So my DH & I decided we will post it that weekend before. I think it will be cute to document the trip with "baby's 1st" photos.

First Comes Love: 6-20-05

Then Comes Marriage: 7-9-11

Then Comes Baby: 4-11-16

• Poppy16 said:

I announced two days ago (I'm 7 wks tomorrow). I know it's super early, but we aren't very private people. Also, my pregnancy is such a huge deal to me - being unexpectedly pregnant after 6 years of infertility and 2 adoptions - that I could hardly stand keeping it a secret any longer!! 

I'm adopted :) adopting is awesome!