March 2016 Moms
Options

Dumb Things People Have Said?

Answers

• Options

The worst thing someone has said to me with this pregnancy was the father, when he flaked out and told me he hoped I died and hoped I had a miscarriage & that he was signing off his rights. Thankfully I haven't heard from him since but just in case I've saved the text messages where he said those things. :/

I would definitely take him up on signing off his rights, you wont get any monetary support from him, but he also can't come back when he decides to be a father.  My friend did this.

I think in Michigan (where I live) even if he signs off he would still be responsible for child support. But he probably doesn't know that. But I haven't even heard from him in 6 weeks. I'm not even sure what to do after the baby is born. Just pretend he doesn't exist or go after him for support so he signs off?
  • Options
    The worst thing someone has said to me with this pregnancy was the father, when he flaked out and told me he hoped I died and hoped I had a miscarriage & that he was signing off his rights. Thankfully I haven't heard from him since but just in case I've saved the text messages where he said those things. :/
    I would definitely take him up on signing off his rights, you wont get any monetary support from him, but he also can't come back when he decides to be a father.  My friend did this.
    I think in Michigan (where I live) even if he signs off he would still be responsible for child support. But he probably doesn't know that. But I haven't even heard from him in 6 weeks. I'm not even sure what to do after the baby is born. Just pretend he doesn't exist or go after him for support so he signs off?
    I know my friend's sister had trouble with this and that's why she was nervous she raised their baby for 2 years alone and then he showed up one day and since he was giving her child support she had no choice to let him back in their lives like nothing had happened.  I'm not sure who you would talk to about this maybe a lawyer?  I'm not sure it was just a warning to be careful.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mother had this issue with my father. So when I was born she left him off the birth certificate so it would make it a little more of a pain in the ass in case he ever tried to come back and fight for rights. He never did.
  • Options
    A lot of people have asked me if I was trying. Since we definitely WERE and I can respond that way, it hasn't bothered me, but yeah, that might be a pretty rude question to a lot of people!

• Options
    skruhmin said:

Kind of want to junk punch my husband whenever he tells me I'm fat in a good way.

I feel you @skruhmin my H told me my waist is looking "really square already!" He did not get a favorable reaction
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Let's see...

1. *me telling a coworker I'm pregnant* 
      Her: But you just got married!
      Me: I'm aware of that.
      Her: How far along are you?
      Me: 2 months.
      Her: Oh..*does calculations in her head* That means this baby came before the marriage huh?
      Me: Please don't worry about the activities that happen in my vag. 

#FACEDESK

2. *getting out of the car at my parents' house last weekend*
      Daddy: You're coming along baby! I see your bump!
      Me: I'm only 2 months. Not showing, just fat. 

Lordt help me for the next few months! I can't take it lol
  • Options

I know my friend's sister had trouble with this and that's why she was nervous she raised their baby for 2 years alone and then he showed up one day and since he was giving her child support she had no choice to let him back in their lives like nothing had happened.  I'm not sure who you would talk to about this maybe a lawyer?  I'm not sure it was just a warning to be careful.

Get a family lawyer now! Her a case written up on him. And have your guns ready incase he comes back trying to ask for partial or full custody.
  • Options
    BF had commented a couple weeks back " 6 weeks? You sure you aren't 6 months?!" The bloating is severe that's for sure. :/
  • Options

Unfortunately in Michigan you can't have him sign off unless you have someone who wants to adopt/take over the rights. Honestly don't put him on the birth certificate unless you want him to pay support/be in the childs life (& yes I do happen to work for Michigan attorneys and have dealt with cases like this)
  • Options
    Today one of my co workers, whom I haven't told, looked at me and said "you look so pregnant today" seriously I'm only 11 weeks and I haven't even told anyone in the company yet.
  • Options
    My favorite so far: "Are you sure?" Nope just like randomly waking up and telling people I THINK I'm pregnant lol.

Had a coworker tell me last week, "Wow! You're really pregnant today." Nope just fat and bloated thanks. And I love how she said really as though one could be a little pregnant, and this is the same person who said it must be twins. Lucky she's normally quite sweet.

We haven't told my awful mil yet (his choice) basically because hubs and I have had all the dumb comments we can handle as is. And I've had two losses so we are waiting as long as possible to tell those we feel won't be 100% supportive, like my brother who told me after my last loss that I needed to "accept the fact God only wants you to have one child". Unfreakingbelievable!
  • Options
    Love everything about this thread!

When we told my parents (after several hours had past):
    Mom: "did you conceive at our house?"
    Me: "what?! No! Have you been sitting there the whole time trying to calculate!"
    Mom: "yes, I just wanted to make sure."

When I told my sister:
    Sister: "What are you going to do with it at my wedding?" (She's getting married in June)
    Me: "Uh, bring it?"
    Sister: "No you're not. It's a kidless wedding."
    Me: "Too bad, it's coming. It's going to be like 3 months old"
    Sister: "Get a babysitter."

Or my lovely co-worker the other day:
    "You're belly sticks out past your boobs! Haha"
    (Geeee, thanks. Everyone wants to hear how fat they are!)
  • Options
    When we told my parents, my mom's response was "Oh my god! What are you guys going to do?!" She meant childcare costs because our son is currently at the daycare she works and and she, as well as we, know how expensive it is for two and that we can't swing it. Not necessarily dumb, but I was kinda hoping for a hug or a congrats before the money question.

When we told my inlaws, my mother and sister in law had already poured me a glass of wine and so after we told them my fil says "well, now what are you going to do with the perfectly good glass of wine that was poured for you?" 

You win some, you lose some. ;)
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't want kids in my ceremony. I provided a babysitter at my wedding. If it was my own sister, I would've made an exception for sure. Some people feel really strongly about not leaving their kids with a sitter so young, and I totally respect that. 

So far, only my boss and a couple friends know, as well as our immediate families. 

Me, shortly after telling my family: I'm excited to take prenatal yoga, and I've already looked into a cloth diapering class, too. 
    My dad: Cloth diapers are disgusting and unsanitary. You might think you want to do them now, but you won't. 
    Me: My parenting choices are not up for discussion. Do not try to argue me out of a decision  DH and I have made based on our own research and what we feel is best for our child. 

I have a feeling I'm going to be repeating that last line a lot with certain family members... which is why I haven't told SIL #1, SIL #2, BIL #1, BIL #2, my aunt, my grandmother-in-law, or my cousin... 
    -DivirgingBird
    Due with Baby #1 March 10, 2016 

• Options
    Oh yeah... I get that my ideals are going to change (I won't be knitting all my babies clothes from scratch and making all organic baby food), but my core values, morals, and ethics will not. There are some things I'll be flexible on and some things I won't budge on. Trying out cloth diapers because of the amount of money they save is something I'm not budging on ;) If I end up using disposables when I'm out or for overnight, that's totally fine. No big deal. But I am committed to my decision to mostly cloth diaper and determined to make it work if it is within my power. 

Regardless, I don't think our families should be commenting on our decisions, especially if they're uneducated and wrong. Good for you for pursuing a VBAC! Good luck with that; I really hope it works out for you. 

I didn't want kids because I was the pianist for a wedding that had multiple toddlers and babies in the audience. I couldn't hear one of my cues to play a certain song because there was so much fussing and crying. I wish the parents had been polite enough to step out with their kids. To each her own- her wedding, her choice :) 
    -DivirgingBird
    Due with Baby #1 March 10, 2016 

• Options

I might be biased since I had a "kids-free" reception, but I totally get it. Sorry that I would rather the adults enjoy the dance floor rather than it being consumed by the like 30 kids (minimum) in my family. It was an intimate affair at a brewery and late at night - not exactly kid friendly.

I also completely got if people didn't want to/couldn't get a sitter, but we did offer one and it didn't seem to be an issue (to my face anyway. I know people can skirt revealing their feelings to the bride).

IMO though the kid-free thing is more for kids that are mobile. Not like babies are going to be running around the place.

Also feel like I should add that I love kids and spending time with them (not that that needs to be said), but I think there are some places/events that call for an age-appropriate crowd.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options

I might be biased since I had a "kids-free" reception, but I totally get it. Sorry that I would rather the adults enjoy the dance floor rather than it being consumed by the like 30 kids (minimum) in my family. It was an intimate affair at a brewery and late at night - not exactly kid friendly.

I also completely got if people didn't want to/couldn't get a sitter, but we did offer one and it didn't seem to be an issue (to my face anyway. I know people can skirt revealing their feelings to the bride).

IMO though the kid-free thing is more for kids that are mobile. Not like babies are going to be running around the place.

Also feel like I should add that I love kids and spending time with them (not that that needs to be said), but I think there are some places/events that call for an age-appropriate crowd.

We had kid free but it's because the venue had a head count limit and we know way too many people. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    @skruhmin that was one of the main deciding factors for us as well.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    ecwkecwk member

I had kids at my wedding (only like four of them) but I would totally respect someone having a kid free wedding. My SIL did that and unfortunately it was not really respected by her cousin and caused a lot of tension in the family!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk are you my SIL?! I had an adult reception and my cousin thought she was above it, brought her daughter anyway. The kid was 12 so it wasn't a huge disturbance or but deal, but I was miffed that she just disregarded the invitation, like it was her event or something. I mean, it looked to others with kids like I specifically invited one kid and no one else's. Our reasoning was we had a smaller venue for the reception and didn't want to take up table space with a bunch of sub 5 year olds. Not to mention, it was our wedding not romper room. :D
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    @netsirk04 haha no, though the stories are similar!! My SILs cousin RSVPd that she and her three kids would be there and when it was delicately pointed out that it was an adult only event she decided not to come as she couldn't leave her children (the youngest of whom was like 7 or 8 so it's not like she was leaving little newborns at home!) Your wedding is your wedding the way I see it, you should do it the way you want.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is awesome that some of you provided a sitter at the reception. Even if it were for an hour that would make a lot of Mommas nights. Bravo.
  • Options
    I love kids at weddings- just a personal opinion but I love a big rowdy celebration. That being said, if I were to be invited to an adults-only reception I would get a sitter and plan on fully enjoying myself.

(Some exceptions for nursing infants, and 3 months is quite young, but I would respect the bride and grooms wishes and figure something out, even if it means not staying as long or having a sitter nearby)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    her wedding, her choice :) 
    This statement exactly, it is her big day.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    now that I am not on my phone the stupid things I have heard so far:

one of my acquaintances/ kind friend who I really am not close with even though she pretends we are super close to my actual close friends (who was supposed to be due about a month before me, but had a blighted ovum): Wow I thought for sure that (4 .5 year old) was going to be your only since I figured you would have had a second and third by now (as she laughed) but I am not sure I want to be pregnant at the same time as you as I think you may suck my fun out of my first pregnancy.... yeah I very nicely did the actually some of us have histories of miscarriages that we don't care to share with the general population.

my MIL after her rude comments about another grandchild she will neeeevvveerrr get to see or have special time with made a comment to my FIL when FIL was on the phone with DH & I (and she didn't know) that SIL needs to get pregnant again so people won't ask why she doesn't get special time with this grandchild either (because in her eyes you can only have a good grandparent relationship if you get alone time at least once a week and see the child two or more times a week as well as get to be involved in all dr appointments and decisions)

my brother: it better not be a boy because I have to have the first male grandchild for our side of the family & I think you should name the child (a name I wouldn't ever consider) or (a second name I would never consider) because it would go along with (nickname he has for my child that no one but him likes or appreciates)
  • Options
    and for the record- my SIL announced her engagement the same day we announced we were pregnant with our daughter. Our daughter was seven months when SIL got married (unfortunately both DH and I were in the wedding party) so MIL wanted and tried to force us to let her carry LO down the aisle with her--- LO didn't come to the wedding much to MIL and SIL's dislike because I preferred not having a child under a year old at the wedding (we had three other weddings that summer and fall and didn't take her to any of them either). 

I figured it was better then eight years after the wedding not being able to watch a video without getting pissed because DH's cousin's kid talked through the entire video and you can hardly hear the vows
  • Options
    Just wanted to share that we went to NYC for a wedding when our child was turning 2 months. We were there for 3 nights and left him with a babysitter for the first time. The babysitter was a very trusted person who was watching 2 of my hubby's cousin's kids at the same time. I was nursing at the time and really appreciated not having to take him with to a very formal wedding. This was a two day thing, so we did this twice. I have a horrid pumping story from this wedding, but that's for another day :)

I'm definitely in the "your wedding, your rules" party. We also had an adults only wedding, so I may be partial. Most weddings we go to are very large and very formal though, so a child would really not fit in and be extremely bored. 
    imageimage

• Options
    My SIL asked DH are you happy? Well then I'm happy.... Ok????? So if he wasn't happy you wouldn't be?? Smh jealousy is an ugly trait
  • Options
    Let me preface this with explaining my brother is 21 and extremely immature with a twisted sense of humor.

We were watching the Dark Knight movie and he kept making director like commentary. We've both watched the movie plenty of times and I got annoyed and jokingly told him to cut it out that if I wanted to hear comments I'd watch the version with them. He got annoyed and responded with "I hope you're barren." I'd had a miscarriage in May and my brother knew I wanted to be pregnant. I got up and walked away visibly upset. DH saw me upset and confronted my brother about how inappropriate the comment was. Brother came to apologize a minute later and tried making a light of the situation by saying I would have laughed at that a few years ago. No, I didn't want to be pregnant a few years ago and was annoyed with my family asking when I would "try." That never meant I ever would have found it funny to be called barren.

Anyway, now that I am again expecting I happily told my brother and my sister. My sister was overjoyed and understanding. His response was, "how long are you planning on keeping this one before you decide to reject it like the last one?"

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage