Baby Names
Options

Kohen.

DH doesn't like the name Kohen, but it's the ONLY name that I can even imagine naming my son. I love it. I don't know what to do because he hasn't tried to help pick out any names he likes or give me options. Thoughts?

Re: Kohen.

• Options
    bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited August 2015
    Cohen is a very controversial name.  It doesn't change it spelling it with a K.  I really think you should research WHY it's offensive. Team husband here. 

Edit: Plus naming is about compromising.  I have had to forget about some of my favorite names because DH didn't like them and vice versa.  

• Options
    bbiutmcph said:

Cohen is a very controversial name.  It doesn't change it spelling it with a K.  I really think you should research WHY it's offensive. Team husband here. 

Edit: Plus naming is about compromising.  I have had to forget about some of my favorite names because DH didn't like them and vice versa.  
    Another vote for Team Husband.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. 

1. offensive name choice, it could paint your child in a negative light, or yourself.

2. Naming is totally about compromise. If he doesn't like it, keep searching. Ask him to come up with a list of names in a certain amount of time ( 3 days, a week, a month, etc whatever works for your timeline)

And honestly, if you're not due within the next month, just step away from names a bit. Heck even if you, stop looking/actively thinking for a week and come back with a fresher state of mind.
  • Options
    I think, regardless of its meaning, if your husband isn't on board, you have to go back to the drawing table.  Naming a child is about compromise so instead of trying to convince him to like it, maybe you could come up with a list of others names for him to look at.

I loved the name Josephine for DD2 but DH was not having it.  I was bummed but it's just the way it goes.

Do you have any other names in mind?
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I didn't realize how it could be offensive. I'm not one to pick names for their meaning, I just love the way it sounds. But I do understand now how it could be offensive.
  • Options
    I really just want the name to start with a K, my husband wanted a jr but I'm against jrs. So I am trying to at least stay close to his name.
  • Options
    bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited August 2015
    I would try to find a K name that is legit not a C turned K name that screams Kardashian

Kevin
    Keegan
    Keenan
    Keith
    Kelly
    Kenneth/Ken
    Kendall
    Kendrick
    Kirk

• Options
    ::grabs popcorn::
  • Options
    Okay. So. Random list of K-names that won't look like you're trying to be a Kardashian.

Kai
    Karl
    Kane
    Keane
    Keegan
    Keenan
    Kelly
    Kendrick
    Kevin
    Kierian
    Kenneth
    Kirk
    Kurt
    Kyle

K names are really hard to find/do in English, most are either anglicized Irish names, or names of Scandinavian/Germanic origin which can look super odd with many American last names, or are Arabic/Indian which can kinda lead back into the insensitive name choice.
  • Options
    Could you do a "K" name or somehow honor your DH with the middle name spot? His FN or his MN there? I assume the child gets his last name right? So maybe he could be a little more flexible on the whole "Jr." Thing. It's about compromise for him too!
  • Options
    Yes thank you all so much for the great ideas!