September 2015 Moms
Options

How many times do you wake up at night??

Between trips to the bathroom, leg cramps and heartburn I'm averaging about 5. Is this normal?? I stay hydrated to reduce leg cramps but don't drink liquid after 7pm so I don't have to pee every 5 minutes! I bought a pregnancy pillow and I'm careful to avoid certain foods that I know cause heartburn. What else can I do?

Answers

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Second pregnancy and I'm in the same boat. Most nights I'm up to pee at least twice and get a snack or water and then can't fall asleep so it's a long wake up. It's great practice for your body to be getting ready to do those MOTN feedings. It's just one of those pregnancy things you can't avoid.
  • Options
    I wake up every hour to use the bathroom. I drink a lot of water but still get bad leg cramps.

For heartburn the latest thing I've tried that has worked well is a table spoon of baking soda in 8oz of water with half a lemon squeezed.

Before this I had tried Zantac, vinager, and ice with mixed success.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wake up several times, usually after waking at 2:30 I can't sleep anymore. Then I need a nap, later. I toss and turn because of leg cramps. It is miserable.
  • Options
    I'm up every hour using the bathroom! I'm lucky if I can go any longer.
  • Options
    Several times. Can't keep count. Today I woke up around 3 am and couldn't even go back to sleep. Pregnancy pillow doesn't help.
  • Options
    I usually wake up about 2-4 times. I also keep water by the bed to drink every time I wake up otherwise I get charlie horses so bad that Im up from that point on.

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would say 4. 2 at least to go to the bathroom and 2 because I keep ending up on my back despite my pregnancy snoogle pillow and my body wakes me up. I stop water intake at 7 as well, it attributes to my reflux as well as the bathroom visits so I try to limit but stay healthy. I have been lucky to only have one doozy of a charlie horse and i trained myself not to stretch with my toes pointed, if I keep my feet flexed and then stretch my legs I do not cramp my calfs
  • Options
    im up at least 4 times a night to pee
  • Options
    Every 2 hours :/
  • Options
    shelbyddshelbydd member
    edited July 2015
    I'm not waking up in the night but I've been experiencing severe insomnia and struggling to get comfortable enough to go to sleep. I went to bed at 10pm last night and didn't fall asleep until after 2am. I've always been a really hard sleeper, though. I usually wake up with my bladder so full it hurts.

I've only really woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times and it's been because acid reflux got so bad that I damn near aspirated. I sit straight up in bed coughing and choking, it's horrible.
  • Options
    I usually wake every 2-3 hours to pee and then occasionally the extra wake up if DS wakes up for something.  Its pretty rare since he is 2 and he usually goes back to sleep easily but every once in a while I have to change sheets at 2am :) 
  • Options
    @shelbydd that kind of reflux happened to me last night! I have never had it so bad that it came up into my mouth. I was gagging coughing and ended up going to the bathroom and throwing it up to get it out of my stomach.
  • Options
    Im up like clockwork at 12:30, 3:00 and 5:00 to pee every single night!
  • Options
    eah325eah325 member

Please don't hate me!! I wake once to pee between 4-6. That's it. So sorry!! (Runs from the room as you all throw pillows.)

Me too. And sometimes I sleep 9 pm to 7 am... I just don't have to pee that much at night.
  • Options
    I'm up about 5 times to pee and the hubby's alarm goes off for work every morning at 3:00am so sometimes I wake up 6 times. With the restless leg syndrom, heartburn and stuffy hot weather that we are having here in Portland, OR. My nights are mostly spent awake. My room is finally cooled off by 2am and I get my best sleep from 3:00am-7:00am when I get up for work and have the bed to myself. My pregnancy pillow just makes me hot, so I don't use it anymore.
  • Options
    @Blang2014 this weather is horrid huh?! I'm down in Roseburg. Between the heat and fire smell I can't catch a break at night trying to sleep.
  • Options
    I go to bed between 8:30-9 every night and wake up every hour to hour and half until I get up at 6:15. If my body doesn't wake me up to pee, it's waking me up for hip pain, and the sheer act of waking up makes me have to pee, so I'm peeing nearly every hour all night. The acid reflux , peeing, and hip pain are so much worse this time than with the first.
  • Options
    I wake up every 2 hours like clockwork to pee. Plus however many times I need to roll over from hip pain so I don't think I can even count
  • Options
    EarcarEarcar member
    Between my other two kids, having to pee, heartburn, dreams and stress, I've quit counting. But, we're almost there!! It's way more exciting to wake up to a newborn :)
  • Options
    I wake up every hour to pee, and then I drink water to prevent leg cramps, so that's why I think I'm up so often. As for the acid reflux try sleeping with your head higher, I sleep with 4 pillows under my head and the pregnancy pillow for the rest of my body and it seems to work for the heartburn! It keeps the acid in your stomach and out of your esophagus.
  • Options
    Yiggle09 said:

@shelbydd that kind of reflux happened to me last night! I have never had it so bad that it came up into my mouth. I was gagging coughing and ended up going to the bathroom and throwing it up to get it out of my stomach.

Ick! Sorry you're running into that, too. I've tried drinking milk and eating antacids after but somehow still have that burning feeling afterwards.
  • Options
    Almost 36w and I'm at the miserable point where in up every hour now to pee.
  • Options
    About four to five times as well. Sorry girl! We're in the homestretch now!
  • Options
    I also have reflux that comes up into my throat. Usually make it to the bathroom if it's bad enough for me to throw up, but last night I had a coughing/sputtering fit n it went all over, which was just lovely (sorry, tmi). I also get up to pee about once an hour. I would say I'm up 5-7 times each night. This is the point in my first pregnancy that when people said, "You better get lots of sleep now, you won't sleep again once baby is here!" I just wanted to throttle them and scream, "I'M NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP NOW, ANYWAY!!!" I guess with #2 they know you already are aware you will be up with your newborn soon because I haven't gotten any helpful advice like that. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh poor @jbettles ! That's awful. So sorry. :(
  • Options
    LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited August 2015
    More than I can count LOL I'll try to keep track tonight. ;-)

ETA I only pee once, the other times is just because my DH snoring...or I'm just so uncomfortable I can't sleep.
  • Options
    5-7 times to pee!!!
  • Options

Please don't hate me!! I wake once to pee between 4-6. That's it. So sorry!! (Runs from the room as you all throw pillows.)

I'm actually exactly the same (with the rare acception of waking up to take a tums)! Some nights I make it until my son wakes me up at 7! I woke up way more with ds1.
  • Options
    I'm up about every 1.5 hours. Usually the only time I can sleep 2 hours in a row is 4am to 6am or so. Seriously sleep deprived over here.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I toss and turn a majority of the night trying to stay comfortable. But, I wake up every night around 330 to pee and then when I lay back down my baby is on the move so I have trouble going back to sleep. The last few nights she gets the hiccups and so it's solid movement for about 5 mins. Once I'm up my dogs tend to get up too and want attention so that makes things even more difficult. It's currently 430 and I gave up trying to fall back asleep so here I am playing around on my phone.
    Team no sleep.
  • Options
    Once or twice. Almost always at 3:30 am to pee and then sometimes at 6:30 (Like today.)
    But over all I sleep like a baby
  • Options
    Approximately one million times.
  • Options
    Like a hundred. .with all of the same issues you mentioned. Dr suggested to drink a mini gatorade everyday to help with leg cramps. If you drink a ton of water she said that it will dilute your electrolytes too much (don't stop drinking the water though) it actually seemed to help a bit
  • Options
    v1wwo said:

Once or twice. Almost always at 3:30 am to pee and then sometimes at 6:30 (Like today.)
    But over all I sleep like a baby

Babies don't sleep well! :P
  • Options
    Usually just twice to pee. Around 12:30am and then again around 6am.
  • Options
    Every 1-2 hours I wake up to pee. AND our master bath has been under construction for like 4 months, so I've been waddling across the house to the guest bath multiple times a night. Blehhhh -_- , at least I'm staying hydrated I guess lol.
  • Options
    A million times...I swear I pee every hour on the hour sigh. Those leg cramps, omg, I'm to the point where I won't even attempt to stretch my legs or do any sudden movements, especially since hubby sleeps on the couch because I can't take his body heat and he can't take my snoring lol so he's not here to save me when the cramps kick in.
  • Options
    Leg cramps may be due to low magnesium. If you soak in Epsom salts bath or even put your feet in warm Epsom salts your body can absorb some needed magnesium and it may stop. Some docs will tell you to use magnesium supplement if it's really low. If you're really suffering, check with your Dr