December 2015 Moms

The urban and nursery-less

I know I can't be the only mom to be on here who lives in a city apartment. Does anyone (first time or veteran moms) have tips/ideas they'd like to swap? It would be great to have an ongoing discussion on this as we have to be really creative space savers! 

My husband and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment that's somewhat decently sized for NY (that's not saying a lot) and here's what I've figured out so far: 
Buying combination pieces, such as the Graco stroller base/car seat combo
Travel versions of everything because they are smaller and collapse, like bouncers, swings, etc. My favorite so far is the clip on high chair by Phil & Ted which I'm registering for.
We're just going to use our dresser or bed as the changing space with a changing pad. 
Over the door stroller holder for the collapsible stroller base (like StrollAway)

We're still trying to decide what we're going to do with the crib. It will probably go in our bedroom for the first 6 months or so, but then I'm wondering if we should move him/her to the living room or move my husband and I out there on a murphy bed or something. Any experience with this?

I wish I had space for a nursery and admit that I get a little jealous of all the ladies on here talking about theirs, but we love our place and our city too much to leave!

Re: The urban and nursery-less

• We are flipping out 1 bed room around. The living room will be the master and the living room/ dining room will be our room with baby. Because of how the apartment is set up, we'll block off one of the entrances to the living room for privacy, but that will be our temporary life hack. We'll go for a 2 bedroom after little one is born.
  • missphilmissphil member
    edited July 2015
    I love this idea for a post! I live in Los Angeles in a one bedroom and it's already pretty cramped. I haven't decided on any gear yet, but I'm definitely leaning towards stuff that has multiple uses. I want to go more minimalist and not buy too much. I will probably do another total decluttering of my apt and just get rid of as much as possible before the baby arrives.
    We may move in to a two-bedroom apartment either a few months before the birth or a few months after, but the second room will be my husband's office with a pull-out couch for when he needs uninterrupted sleep.
    So we won't have a nursery for the first few years. The baby will sleep next to us, but I want our bedroom to be a "sleep-only" room, that doesn't contain anything non sleep related. No television, no makeup table, etc.
    I may decorated the walls and area around his crib a little bit to make it more of a nursery area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for starting this post. I'm in the same boat - one bedroom in expensive ass Southern California.

Pack n Play is going to be our best friend. Plus we may get a co-sleeper. I saw a Pack n Play that had a little shelving system at the bottom that would be handy.

Pinterest has some good ideas for creating spaces for baby in a one bedroom.
  • I'm so happy you started this. I'm in NYC too looking for a one bedroom cause we're in just a room for now and trying to figure out the same! I figured the pack n play is probably gonna be our main thing. I can't wait to see more on what comes up here!
  • We are in the same boat in Philadelphia. We had a few stressful months of feeling like we had to get out of our small one bedroom, but we know now that it feels best to wait until our lease is up in April (baby will be about 5 months). I too was having little pangs of jealousy when I saw pics of other people setting up full nurseries, but I think I really started to shift when I settled in to the idea and started honoring the old space in a new way. We are dedicating about 1/3 of our bedroom to the baby, so nesting is still possible. Lots of old Philly rowhomes have no closets (like ours), so we are getting a tall dresser and becoming the type of people that store their off-season clothes. We're also going to decorate the baby's part of the room like a mini-nursery, trying to balance the feelings. :)
  • @hplunkett2883 The pack and play will be what we use for a while as well. I was wondering, will you get a mattress for it (do you have one in mind)? If yes, what sheets fit on it? I've been researching, but haven't found clear answers. Thanks!
  • I'm living with my parents just now until I can save money to move out! So space is cramped as well since 4 other people live here.
    I'm just getting the essentials, a moses basket then crib and I'm not getting a changing table but a changing mat and i can change him wherever
  • MsFingMsFing member
    I'm really curious about an extra mattress for a pack n play as well. I've heard some moms say their babies don't love the pack n play matresses as is. We don't have room for a crib.
  • leek71983 said:

@hplunkett2883 The pack and play will be what we use for a while as well. I was wondering, will you get a mattress for it (do you have one in mind)? If yes, what sheets fit on it? I've been researching, but haven't found clear answers. Thanks!

I do plan on getting a mattress for it. I haven't decided which one yet. I have seen sheets for pack n play's at Target.
  • I like the site houzz.com not only for ideas of how to work with small spaces, but also because they have amazing examples of interior design across the board.

Space definitely comes at a premium here. But I know so many people that make it work with a baby in a small space.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/19990794/list/15-tips-for-small-space-living-with-baby
  • We have the same problem. Very small rooms (no issue there - baby is only two kitchen tiles long likely!) but also the rooms have no windows. The ceilings are very high and have exposed pipes all around them. (We live in a loft) 

We are going to work with it instead of try to fight it. We're going with a baby-steampunk theme with an airship paper lantern and lots of whimsy and colour. We're thinking Cozy and not airy. 
  • leek71983 said:

@hplunkett2883 The pack and play will be what we use for a while as well. I was wondering, will you get a mattress for it (do you have one in mind)? If yes, what sheets fit on it? I've been researching, but haven't found clear answers. Thanks!

I do plan on getting a mattress for it. I haven't decided which one yet. I have seen sheets for pack n play's at Target.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I found a mattress on Amazon for $30. Just kind of looking right now.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    Yay i'm in this group too! We have a tiny one bedroom apt in the bay area of cali and what we have already doesn't fit. But we've decided to first try to minimize by getting rid of anything we haven't used lately...even if it's things we will want in a year, they're going and we'll just buy new in a year. So our one closet has more free space for baby storage like diapers. 
    We got a used baby dresser off of craigslist and I'm going to be getting rid of or storing my piano to put that in the living room. It has space for a changing table on top, all of the baby clothes that it needs at that moment, and things like wipes etc. 
    My clothes, like sweaters, are going into clear pull out plastic thingies under the bed. 
    We also got rid of a ton of books so that two shelves on the bottom of our bookcases are free and we can put bins in there for baby things. I donated most bathroom things to a shelter so we have what we need right now and nothing more.

I cant decide if a pack n play with the newborn sleeper makes more sense or if we should just spend the money for a crib now. Honestly the pack n plays are not much smaller (if at all) than cribs.
  • I personally live in a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs, but my sister lives in a 1 bedroom in LA. It has a loft space, which she uses for her "playroom". She keeps her crib in the bedroom with her. She was a preemie so she likes to keep her close. Her space isn't that large, but she has made it so comfy for her and her babe. 
  • @cmdd I think the benefit of the pack n play is that's it's portable, not necessarily a space saver. And it can be used for more than just sleeping.
  • CMDDCMDD member
    @satindawl83 hm okay we don't need to move ours anywhere so portable isn't an issue. But what else can it be used for that a crib can't? TIA
  • @cmdd ahhh well that makes sense. We'll be moving ours between the bedroom and the living room pretty regularly. And then taking it over to friends houses when we bring her.

Pack n plays are good as a playpen when they're older. From what I hear, you'll just get more mileage out of it.
  • Originally the plan was to tuck the crib in one corner of our bedroom and arrange the closet to include the changing table. Then we inhereted a crib from a cousin who is moving to a big girl bed. It comes with an attached changing table so that was scrapped. But we have the crib tucked in one corner and our bed on the otherside, which only leaves a little bit of walking room, but you do what you have to do. Some other ideas I've had concerning a minimal baby area are... tucking a changing pad under the bed and pull it out to change the baby on the bed, keeping the stroller in the truck of the car, most baby strollers are big and clunky as hell, and most of the time, you'll be using it outside the house. We have nothing but collapsable, compact swings and toys on our registry so hopefully that will keep us as uncluttered as possible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I wasn't going to move it, I'd go for a bassinet over a pack n play. I do have a pack n play though and it has been nice as a play pin as LO has gotten bigger. I can set him in to play when I have to step away for a moment and don't worry quite as much then. I got a quilted sheet for it and put it over the mat rather than a mattress. It seems to work well and for a long time DS preferred it over his crib.

I've been looking a lot at the over-the-door organizers. I think it could help us declutter in a couple places around the apartment.

The living room has pretty much become the play area. Everything there is pretty well baby proofed and we have two large plastic buckets we can quickly toss all his toys in. These have been great and he's figured out he can get anything out if he wants to play with it. He's also figured out to put a few things in (shoes and empty bottles included).

Honestly the only thing I miss is having a chair by the crib. It would be nice to rock and sooth him right there then transfer him the short distance to the crib. As it is I rock him in the living room and then have to get him down the hall, open and close the bedroom door to keep cats out, get him in the crib, and get myself back out all without waking him.
  • maiatenemaiatene member
    edited August 2015
    While we have moved back into what I like to call "deep Brooklyn" (more space), when we lived at our old apartment while pregnant, this was a concern. To anyone in this situation- apartmenttherapy.com is your friend! This has been my go to design resource for apartment living and small space living since I first moved out on my own in 2007. Either sort by room on the side or simply use the search option for "nursery" or "one bedroom nursery." Such a great site in general. Edited, because laying on my side typing onto a tiny screen is not one of my Gallup strengths.

2nd apartment therapy... I LOVE that site. I live in a 1 1/2 bedroom in Brooklyn with a toddler, hubby and his sister (don't get me started on that!). The boy has the 1/2 room and we moved our bedroom around so baby will be in the room with us in a bassinet. Hubby's a borderline hoarder and I'm a minimalist, so I had to twist his arm to get rid of a lot of stuff that just took up room. As far as gear the stroller (Britax b-ready) stays in the car, and in the house we have a swing and bassinet. I will wash baby in the kitchen sink in the beginning, and all the clothes are in big brothers room. Diapers etc are in a fabric boxes that blend into the existing decor. Trust me it's doable without sacrificing your space or style. My situation works much better if an additional adult wasn't thrown into the mix, but hopefully that situation will work itself out before baby gets here.
  • I love that I just left this alone for a few days and you all just ran with it! So many great ideas posted--thank you!!!
    I didn't even think about a pack and play as a crib, and the Graco combo one that @hplunkett2883 posted looks amazing! It saves me from having to buy 2 other things :)  I'm eager to see what mattresses, if any, you ladies go with. I've looked on Amazon and the dimensions are a little hard to find a mattress that size. I think I'll probably have to just let the crib idea go and do this. We have a backyard (one reason I just don't want to leave our place) and moving the pack and play out there in the summer will be a lifesaver. 

@erikaalzet --we would LOVE to move into "deep Brooklyn" from the mid Brooklyn area we're in, but I just can't endure an even more hellacious commute. There are some great places out there--so much more for less--enjoy!

It's so inspiring to read about you ladies making minimal living work for your families--we're doing it! 

• JulybirdJulybird member
    edited August 2015
    If you have a wide closet with folding/sliding doors (in the bedroom), you can just take the doors off and put the crib there. That's what we learned from the family that lived here before us and thought it was a neat idea.
  • Just wanted to recommend this book to this group. We don't have quite the space issue many of you are facing, but have our own battles with "stuff". I really like some of the ideas in this book and the philosophies around all the "stuff" people have and don't need. It can be amazing how much better you feel when you have less stuff but love what you have.

The book is called "The life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo
  • LC122 said:

Just wanted to recommend this book to this group. We don't have quite the space issue many of you are facing, but have our own battles with "stuff". I really like some of the ideas in this book and the philosophies around all the "stuff" people have and don't need. It can be amazing how much better you feel when you have less stuff but love what you have.

The book is called "The life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo

Loooooove the KondoMari method! I did it pre-pregnancy and intend to do it again before the baby comes

• Minicrib! My 1.5 yr old still fits in the minicrib they use at daycare. It'll save a little bit of space.

Also, how is your closet space? My first slept in our walk in for about a year. Our second will be in our closet again until she sleeps through the night and can share with her older sister.

Also minicribs often have wheels and fit through doorways better than regular sized cribs.
  • So, I'm having some guilt about not going with a crib. I have no idea why, perhaps it's pressure from family (who live in small towns/suburbs) that a baby NEEDS a crib for the first 2 years, which makes me feel that I'm not doing enough for my child if I don't have one. We do have room for one, and now I'm second guessing myself that getting a mattress for the P&P isn't going to be good enough or could be dangerous. Is anyone else feeling this way? Do I just need to get over it? I mean, babies don't really know the difference, right?

Also, I just found out about this: 
    and am wondering if anyone else has feedback about using this instead of a P&P mattress. I like that it folds up...
  • Whovian84 said:

So, I'm having some guilt about not going with a crib. I have no idea why, perhaps it's pressure from family (who live in small towns/suburbs) that a baby NEEDS a crib for the first 2 years, which makes me feel that I'm not doing enough for my child if I don't have one. We do have room for one, and now I'm second guessing myself that getting a mattress for the P&P isn't going to be good enough or could be dangerous. Is anyone else feeling this way? Do I just need to get over it? I mean, babies don't really know the difference, right?

Also, I just found out about this: 
    and am wondering if anyone else has feedback about using this instead of a P&P mattress. I like that it folds up...
    This is just my two cents, do you think it'll be moved enough that a p&p would be more practical or do you already have the p&p? If no to either of these I would just go with the crib, based on my personal experience. After having both, I felt it was too big a pain to keep moving the p&p and just used it in our bedroom. If I had it to do over I'd have even gotten a bassinet or mini crib instead.

If a p&p would be more practical for you, maybe you can test it out and see how baby sleeps in it. Some babies hate how hard they are but my son actually preferred it for a while over his crib. I also found a quilted p&p sheet helped.

If you decide on the mattress (we didn't get one so I can't help too much here), I would think just follow the same guidelines as you would with buying a mattress for a crib. Make sure it's firm and fits snuggly with as little space between it and the sides as possible.
  • Is anyone doing the baby in the closet thing?  I think that's what my SO and I are going to do, rather than swap our rooms in the apartment (switch living room and bedroom). Also, we'd just move around some furniture. Possibly block of the "dining room" corner/section of our apartment with a partition or hanging curtains as our dressing room and then have the baby's stuff mainly in our room, as we can keep the pets out. Sorry if someone else suggested this, just discussed it with my mom and SO.  I'm going to post some pics below as well, for some style ideas. Pinterest has a bunch. Just I think for safety reasons we will take out the rod that goes in the closet and the shelf. We'll put shelving up else where. 

image imageimageimage

• maiatene said:

So I saw this after I wrote my question about it lol. I def haven't been on this thread in a bit. @whovian84, is this something you are doing or have done? I'm going to go for it. Any tips? 
  • @ChiccoBeanz great minds think alike ;)
  • Putting a crib in the closet seems like a good idea so long as you do it as is exampled above. One needs to be careful when putting a baby into a walk-in closet because of lack of air circulation. Obviously depends upon the closet and whatnot (I would imagine that one the size of a small bedroom would be absolutely fine, particularly if it has its own ventilation) but one needs to make sure not to shut the door without proper air circulation in a small space.

* even though I feel that this may be an obvious observation, I would hate for somebody to come along and read that they could put their baby in the closet and wind up with a tragedy.
  • I just wanted to mention that in my research of pack-n-plays I've seen a lot of discussion about adding a mattress to the pack-n-play (in amazon reviews especially). The manufacturer frequently respond that they have spent a lot of time developing and testing the mattress for safety in the pack-n-play and that they do not recommend any modifications and mention specifically that it increases the likelyhood of a gap that could be dangerous to LO. Furthermore, most of the parents that already own the pack-n-play say their child is comfortable in the pack-n-play as it was designed. Just some food for thought, I know that adding a mattress never occurred to me but neither did the potential risks that could come from the addition.

• The Mountain Buggy Nano is a tiny stroller that is very portable looking and was listed for $200 which seems like a pretty good deal! It folds up into a size small enough for carry on luggage and has good reviews! It has the option to use the carseat attachment. I am getting a running stroller and looking at this as the back up for travel and urban locations (we expect to be in the city 1-2 days a month).

Along the same lines the Guava Family "everywhere crib" is $250 on sale for $200 and it actully can convert to a bassinet (or vice versa) for about $100. The "everywhere crib" version folds into about the size of a carryon as well. I am not sure how you fold the bassinet with the extra attachment on the legs.

I haven't seen it in real life but the 4 moms-mamaRoo bouncer/swing looks like it may have a smaller footprint than other similiar products if you are interested in those types of baby entertainment (it looks more expensive but if it is space versus cost it may work for you).

If you need a breast feeding pillow the boppy is popular and the baby can use it to sit in or for tummy time. I mention this because "the breast friend" is supposedly slightly better for BF but it doesn't double for use with LO.
  • TomekiaB said:

The Mountain Buggy Nano is a tiny stroller that is very portable looking and was listed for $200 which seems like a pretty good deal! It folds up into a size small enough for carry on luggage and has good reviews! It has the option to use the carseat attachment. I am getting a running stroller and looking at this as the back up for travel and urban locations (we expect to be in the city 1-2 days a month).

Along the same lines the Guava Family "everywhere crib" is $250 on sale for $200 and it actully can convert to a bassinet (or vice versa) for about $100. The "everywhere crib" version folds into about the size of a carryon as well. I am not sure how you fold the bassinet with the extra attachment on the legs.

I haven't seen it in real life but the 4 moms-mamaRoo bouncer/swing looks like it may have a smaller footprint than other similiar products if you are interested in those types of baby entertainment (it looks more expensive but if it is space versus cost it may work for you).

If you need a breast feeding pillow the boppy is popular and the baby can use it to sit in or for tummy time. I mention this because "the breast friend" is supposedly slightly better for BF but it doesn't double for use with LO.
    I just wanted to add my experience with the boppy. It has been wonderful. I used it for the two months I breastfed my son and needlessly worried it wouldn't be used anymore. It was a little big and bulky for tummy time, in my opinion, and the little guy pushed so much with his legs he'd just slide right over it.

Once he started sitting up it was used more again. We could sit him in the middle and he'd have to support himself but there was a little cushion when he'd topple over. Now he's 10 months and crawls into it to lounge or sit and when he gets a bottle or sippy cup he leans back in it while he drinks.

We took it away for a while to see how he'd do and he just dragged it right back. We finally decided they're cheap enough we'lljust get a second for this baby. Also like my mom pointed out, if you wouldn't reuse a mattress why reuse a pillow.

Also definitely get the protective cover.
  • seahawksfansseahawksfans member
    edited August 2015
    We only have space for an office/all our storage area or a nursery so for the first year at least, possibly toddlerhood, we plan to have baby in our room in their own crib and then toddler bed.  Closer for bf too as long as that goes well.