SWIMMING BABY — The Bump
June 2015 Moms

SWIMMING BABY

I wanna take my 7week old baby to the pool...have any of you did already?
What kind of diaper do you propose and do you put a bathing suit over it ? #:-S

Re: SWIMMING BABY

• I bought a swim diaper & UV t shirt for my lo.  I also have a sun hat.  But, I haven't taken her in a pool yet.  This week should be a scorcher, and my folks' pool will be 84F+, so I think I'll give it a try for a few minutes.  Mostly I'm planning on starting swim lessons in the fall.
  • I bought the huggies swim diapers, they are a little big so i put them over his regular diaper and I also use a rash guard. He is also 7 weeks and he loves the pool. He has eczema and the chlorine actually helps clear it up ! :]
  • kaila8kaila8
    500 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    trbua16 said:

I bought the huggies swim diapers, they are a little big so i put them over his regular diaper and I also use a rash guard. He is also 7 weeks and he loves the pool. He has eczema and the chlorine actually helps clear it up ! :]

This exactly. The smallest size swim diapers I could find were size 3 so they were a tad big but with the regular diaper under them it worked fine. I put her swimsuit on over it and a sun hat. Our pool has a section that stays in the shade so it was perfect to bring her in there. She loves it!
  • We've gone into the pool twice-- both times using different swim diaper options. At first I couldn't find any disposable ones that were small enough. Feeling desperate, I bought the one for babies 24+ lbs (LO is barely 7 pounds). Wound up cutting it and putting a snug bathing suit over. It worked like magic! The next time I headed to Babies 'R Us where I bought a reusable diaper. Granted, it is still for babes a little heavier, bit with a snug swimsuit over it, worked like a charm. Baby slept in my arms for the most part even as I dipped her to her shoulders in the pool. Go figure! Can't say she liked or disliked it, but I LOVED it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We took our girls and they loved it too! I put one in a small reusable swim diaper and one in the size small swim diaper. It's a huggies I think and was a bit big but worked just fine
  • Did you use a regular cloth diaper (like bumgenius), or a traditional one, or is there one specifically for swim?
  • HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    edited July 2015
    What kind of bathing suit are you all using? A normal suit, or one of those full body looking ones? Are you using a water carrier or sling as well?
  • hjdaniels0415hjdaniels0415
    250 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited July 2015
    They have reusable swim diapers. We got ours at target. They come small enough. Also are available at buy buy baby and babies r us. We have taken our little one and she loves it. She was a little early so she'll be 11weeks on Wednesday. We put a sun hat on her as well. She did great and I would say if you feel okay and doc says yes go for it.
  • I just saw another question. I just carry her and she does great that way.
  • I actually took my almost 8 week old swimming the other day. He loved it! I just put a normal diaper on him and his swim trunks over it with a sun hat. E liked having his back to my chest and floating there. I think it reminds them of being in our bellies :) I would make sure the water was heated by the sun quite a bit first.