June 2015 Moms

Baby wraps

Now that the babies have arrived, what wrap are you using? I have the Solly and I won't lie, it hurts my back wearing her.

Re: Baby wraps

• Moby! Once I watched a YouTube video on how to use it, I started to love it! Before that I wanted to trash it.
  • I have the ktan and ergo. I loved the ktan in the initial squish stage but now she's too busy and tries to do tummy time in it and look around (6 weeks). Also besides the initial wear straight out of the drier it is way too loose and she hangs. But I'm not an XS so I don't know what else to do (I have a small and wear a 6-8 in shirts).

I initially couldn't get the hang of the ergo with the infant insert until this week. I think her growing helped (11 lb 22.5in). Now it's great, I have the performance with the sun shade.

I'm going to a BWI meetup next week, hoping to get some good insight into slings and other woven wraps, but I think all the steps are too intimidating for the Moby etc.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • First baby, I used the Moby and it was such a pain to use but that led to using an Ergo and then a Boba. I've used both of those with this babe from the start. Boba's come with an infant insert and a lot of people skip the infant insert with the Ergo and just use a rolled up receiving blanket instead. Definitely see if there's a BWI in your area. They have all kinds of carriers that you can try at the meetings for free and then if you join, you can check out carriers to try at home before you buy one of your own.
  • I love Boba!!
  • mindaamindaa member

I have the ktan and ergo. I loved the ktan in the initial squish stage but now she's too busy and tries to do tummy time in it and look around (6 weeks). Also besides the initial wear straight out of the drier it is way too loose and she hangs. But I'm not an XS so I don't know what else to do (I have a small and wear a 6-8 in shirts).

I initially couldn't get the hang of the ergo with the infant insert until this week. I think her growing helped (11 lb 22.5in). Now it's great, I have the performance with the sun shade.

I'm going to a BWI meetup next week, hoping to get some good insight into slings and other woven wraps, but I think all the steps are too intimidating for the Moby etc.

I have the k'tan too and really like it as its easy to use and comfortable. Right now its the easiest way to get LO to go to sleep. I agree its a little awkward at this age - hard to go fully hands free right now because LO just wants to have his head out all the time and I keep a hand there to support it. Hopefully that will soon get better as he gets older and stronger. If not, we have a couple others to try :)
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Boba wrap! Love it. Really comfortable, esp. compared to our baby bjorn.
  • I've tried the ergo, k'tan, moby and a sling (can't remember the name). So far, I haven't been able to get the baby into the newborn insert with the ergo (he does not like it at all)- which is unfortunate, because it's the most comfortable for me. I'll have to try the rolled up receiving blanket. Baby hates the k'tan and I don't like that you can't adjust the size. Baby also does not like the sling, he looks really squished too. The moby has worked really well for us. LO likes it a lot and I like that it can grow with him and fit both me and DH. It isn't the most comfortable (sometimes hurts my back) which is the one real downfall for me. I also do wish that it was easier/quicker to put on too. Otherwise, the moby has been a lifesaver. Anytime LO puts his fussy pants on and fights his sleep, I put him in the moby and go for a walk around the block and he almost instantly goes to sleep. Although, I hear this a lot for anyone who does the baby wearing (regardless of the carrier). I think it's just a matter of figuring out what works best.
  • We got the Wrapsody Breeze for summer. Kind of wish we went with soft cotton instead of gauze for the wrap but it is cool, supportive and good for learning. I do want to get a plush wrap for winter and a structured carrier too
  • Money and Ergo. Love them both!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Boba wrap - after you tie it once, it's easy as pie, and comfortable.  I have only had experience with the newborn carry so far, but I imagine it will be fine through the next few weights too.  I can see it being difficult as baby gets heavy - I am thinking of a Lillebaby.  

• We skipped a wrap and went with the chimparoo trek. Tried it with LO in a local store and LOVED it! Hubby and I both have tall frames and it can front, back, and hip carry. The infant piece feels more secure than the boba to me because it actually has four snaps that help him to keep his legs in the ideal position. He likes feeling like a kangaroo baby against our chests. He was 8 lbs and 21.5 in at birth though and will be a month next week, so wraps weren't comfy with how long he is.
  • We have a sakurabloom sling and love it. It took a few tries to get her to enjoy it (mind you tries=cries), but now she sleeps in it and I can finally brush my teeth!
  • I was gifted a Moby, and agree that it was intimidating at first, but now we LOVE it.

Pros:
    LO loves it. Sleeps in it, and it supports his head.
    Comfortable for me
    Easy with newborns and larger babes
    One size, so both DH and I can use it
    Soft, washable cotton
    More than one way to wrap the kid

Cons:
    So long - it drags on the floor when I'm wrapping it. That's probably an easy fix that I just need to look into.
    On hot days, it's too warm, for both me and LO, to use very long. Usually that means it's too hot to be outside very long anyway.
    If LO is awake and looking around, I feel I have to hold his head with my hand for support (which a, I don't mind, and b, it is very rare he is not asleep in that thing!)

We were also gifted a Bjorn that I haven't opened yet. No need, the Moby is working for us.
  • Boba here :)
  • We have been using the k'tan. It's ok, but I feel like it's too hard to get LO in and out of without contorting her in uncomfortable ways. But once she is in, we are good.

We also have an ergobaby360, which I am christening tomorrow at a BBQ using the infant insert...
  • We have an ergo that I've used since day 4 with the newborn insert. It is hot and since our temps have been in the 90s, I haven't been going on many walks.

As much as I like the ergo, it's not great if I want to just lounge around the house with my hands free so I'm looking at a ring sling.
  • Just purchased a hugaloops yesterday. It's a Canadian company: www.hugaloops.com
  • APagoAPago member
    I tried using the ergo, baby liked it but it just got way too hot for both of us. We only went for a short walk and it wasn't even all that hot out and baby and I were sweating by the end of it. I did use the infant insert. I think we'll be holding off on using the ergo until the fall, when he's out of the insert and its cooler.

Been using the Sakura Bloom ring sling since then and it's amazing! The first few tries he did cry, but once we got the hang of it baby and I both loved it! He falls asleep almost immediately and I can carry him for extended periods at a time without my back hurting (baby is 9lbs12ozs now).
    FTM - EDD June 16 2015
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    Sammy K said:

We have an ergo that I've used since day 4 with the newborn insert. It is hot and since our temps have been in the 90s, I haven't been going on many walks.

As much as I like the ergo, it's not great if I want to just lounge around the house with my hands free so I'm looking at a ring sling.

I just got a ring sling & love it! I do feel like I need to support LOs head a bit because he likes to look around, but he usually ends up falling asleep!
  • I use the k'tan, infantino, and a mesh ring sling (for the pool) and LO loves them all...zaps out wherever we are when we are wearing him. My husband uses the infantino because he is a big guy and they actually make those big enough for him. We also got an Osprey carrier for hiking (one of the big bulky back carriers with head shade) we are so excited to use when LO's head control is better. :)
  • I use a ktan. I find it pretty easy to put on. I don't use it outside much though bc it's 100* here during the day lately.

I just got a moby to try too ($10 on my local b/s/t) and I need practice but I like it so far.

For when he's bigger I have the ergo performance. Excited to use it. Anyone tried using rolled up swaddle blankets vs insert? Just too hot here for insert.

I joined my local baby wearing group and am a bit overwhelmed but excited to learn. Plus if you're a member ($40 a year) you can check out carriers for a month at a time from the " lending library" which is neat! Something to look into in your area if that interests you.
  • I use the baby K'Tan and ergo with the infant insert. But I can't wear her for long outside because it's too hot right now.
  • Skipped the wrap/sling and went right to the lillebaby complete all-seasons carrier. Has great neck support for DD and lumbar support for me. She loves it now, and it has 6 positions that can take you through toddlerhood. Love it. It came highly recommend by SIL.
  • Any recommendations for a water carrier?
  • rweaver8611rweaver8611 member
    edited July 2015
    @teather5 We use a mesh sling. I got mine on Amazon with prime shipping. We use it a ton in the pool and LO falls asleep in it every time. I'll search for it and post the link. :)
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XIA77GE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437331403&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=vlokup+water+ring+sling&dpPl=1&dpID=51pdW-ls6FL&ref=plSrch

We ordered a blue one and it works great. When we were in the outdoor pool, I pull the top part up by his head and it holds his hat on and he zaps right out.
  • @rweaver8611 thanks!!! Love that price too! Your post reminded me: hats! I can't find one that fits! Any advice?
  • rweaver8611rweaver8611 member
    edited July 2015
    @teather5 I got mine at my baby shower, but it's from BRU, Koala Kids brand and 0-3 month size bucket hat. I don't see any that size on their website anymore, but Buy Buy Baby has some 0-6 month size that may work! Don't know if you have one close by or not. The hats are hard to find!

Oh, and I loved the price on that sling, too! I was worried it was going to be horrible quality, but it is made very well...should be able to last us a long time!
  • I just bought a Boba because I couldn't wait for 2 day shipping. She cried a little getting in (she was already upset) but fell right asleep!
  • First we tried the Boba wrap. It was okay, but I really wanted the Ergo. So I returned the Boba and got the Ergo with the infant insert. I couldn't get DD to fit comfortably in the insert. It just didn't feel safe. So I returned the insert and got a Moby wrap. The wrapping is annoying and I feel like I need to hold her up still. I really wanted hands free. So, just tonight I took a stab at the Ergo again, but with a rolled receiving blanket. Worked like a charm!! DD has been sound asleep in it for an hour! So happy!
  • @Sjeff0816 how big is your LO? I'm curious about using the receiving blankets
  • @Teather2012 she's 5 weeks tomorrow. Almost 9 lbs. She was 7 lbs when I first tried the insert. The receiving blanket works well because you can roll in other blankets or burp cloths to make it the right size for your baby!
  • Sjeff0816 said:

@Teather2012 she's 5 weeks tomorrow. Almost 9 lbs. She was 7 lbs when I first tried the insert. The receiving blanket works well because you can roll in other blankets or burp cloths to make it the right size for your baby!

Awesome thanks! My babe is the same size so I'm gonna try it :))
  • @teather5 I got your username wrong! Sorry! ;)
  • Figured out why my back hurts- hurts when I hold LO with cradle hold too. Either pulled muscle or cracked rib. Been that way since labor.
  • We tried the k'tan and I ended up flipping out and throwing it on the ground at 3am :-p
    I hopped on Amazon and ordered the Baby Bjorn and she seems to love it. We really only use it when we are out shopping, but I'm impressed and feel a lot more secure with a structured carrier than the wraps we were using.
  • I have a k'tan and love it.

I second pp's about if being great but I often still keep one hand on LO since he wants to bounce his head around to see everything I'm walking past.
  • @rweaver8611 Your LO is so adorable! I love his hair!
  • I think my LO likes the Moby -
    But when I wore it to the store (maybe an hour or two, my back hurt. I'm thinking normal, but I'm going to bring it to my chiro & ask her for some tips on wearing with right posture.