October 2015 Moms

Glucose test concerns go in here

Re: Glucose test concerns go in here

• I definitely understand all of that, as well. We are definitely able to get foods more widely dispersed these days than the days of some of my instructors (lol).

I guess I should have said that the variations can be more reliant on the methodology used. A point of care device (finger stick) glucose reading on the same sample run on a lab analyzer can be off by about 10 points, depending on that lab's margin of error. While locality can affect reference ranges, methodology will be your bigger factor.
  • I took my one hour test yesterday and passed. My appointment was at 10 so I ate a bowl of oatmeal when I got up because my doctor said not to fast, They gave me the liquid to take home and drink so I didn't have to sit in the office and wait. I was told to pass it had to be under 140, mine was 110. But they did say my Iron was low because they check your hemoglobin too. They pricked my finger and I knew my results in less then a minute. Just wanted to share my experience with you ladies!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my 3hr this morning and passed! <:-P
    Funny thing was 2 of my friends who are sisters and due around the same time as me had to do the same test! We joked that the hospital must be after money or messed up our 1hr results.
    It was actually nice to have other people to sit and be miserable with, as horrible as that sounds. All 3 of us were nauseated, had headaches and we're dying of thirst! So glad it's DONE! Good luck to the ladies still waiting to take the test and get results!
  • rx10rx10 member
    I failed my 1 hour test (158) and failed one out of the 4 blood draws during the 3 hour test (my 1 hour came back at 190 which is really high). Since I only failed one out of the 4, my doc said that I technically passed, although the elevated result indicates that I am glucose intolerant (not diabetic) and have to cut back on my sugar/carb intake. Little bit shocked at the results as I have had no symptoms or family history of diabetes so am being quite careful with my diet now
  • Has anyone eaten 28 jellybeans instead of the glucose drink? I found some corn-syrup free and artificial color free jelly beans at whole foods yesterday. The drink makes me feel horrible for a good couple of days (speaking from experience with both daughters). I generally never consume that much sugar, nor is my sugar consumption from corn syrup and with artificial colors. The drink doesn't taste bad, it makes me FEEL bad. I begged my dr to let me get an rx for a glucose meter and take my own levels at home every day along with a food log and she said no.
  • ehebaeheba member
    So my glucose test is on Tuesday and my doctor told me that the day before, no carbs, no sugars, and only protein and water. any suggestions as to what I should eat tomorrow?!
  • eheba said:
    So my glucose test is on Tuesday and my doctor told me that the day before, no carbs, no sugars, and only protein and water. any suggestions as to what I should eat tomorrow?!
    @eheba, literally zero grams of carbohydrate or limit them?

Great protein options:
    Grilled chicken
    Eggs (scrambled with bacon and cheese! yum! or hard boil some to-go)
    Shredded beef/chicken/turkey wrapped in a lettuce leaf

Example of a super low carbohydrate, protein option:
    cottage cheese (1% has about 6g of carbohydrates in a cup for example)

Enjoy :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Because I'm a nerd and it keeps getting mentioned, i looked into why there is such variation in the recommendations and this is the consensus from the research (and the good news is it's a topic that is being studied much more so maybe in a few years there will be a more consistent approach).

Is the glucola test really the best way to screen for gestational diabetes?

To this day, researchers still don’t know the answers to a lot of questions about screening for gestational diabetes. This is what I gathered from reading the most up-to-date literature:

We don’t know the best screening test for gestational diabetes.
    We don’t know the best time during pregnancy to screen for gestational diabetes.
    We don’t know if you need to fast beforehand.
    We don’t know if the best cut-off point for the test.
    We don’t know if screening the entire population results in improved outcomes. (Researchers theorize that screening can improve outcomes such as large birth weight, but nobody has done a randomized, controlled trial to test this theory)
    Source:
    Evidence Based Birth
    Gestational Diabetes and the Glucola Test
    Rebecca Deckler PhD, RN, ANRP
  • So it's a big guessing game but important because our insulin production does increase and it needs to be looked at. I was so confused by how different it seemed the recommendations were for everybody.
  • eheba said:

@eheba a "buzzword" search for those types of snacks or meals might be Paleo diet foods. It's a popular one that cuts out all grains and sugars, so you can probably get some good ideas there.
  • ehebaeheba member
    thanks girls!

• eheba said:

@eheba, literally zero grams of carbohydrate or limit them?

Great protein options:
    Grilled chicken
    Eggs (scrambled with bacon and cheese! yum! or hard boil some to-go)
    Shredded beef/chicken/turkey wrapped in a lettuce leaf

Example of a super low carbohydrate, protein option:
    cottage cheese (1% has about 6g of carbohydrates in a cup for example)

Enjoy :)

Wow I go for mine next Thursday and I was told I don't have to fast and I can eat whatever I want but not to go overly crazy on sugar.
  • I was pretty worried about mine because the appointment before they said I could take it but we didn't really specify if I really was going to and then when I went in they were like 'wanna take it today?' So I said sure, then half way through I remembered I ate two donuts for breakfast. So I thought for sure I was going to fail. My score was only 101 though! So I passed like a champ lol.
  • Failed the one hour. My doctors cut off is 128 (which I see as low compared to most) and I scored a 131! Failed by 3 points.
    So here I am now, sitting in the office for my 3 hour.
    I ate like crap the weekend before my 1 hour last Monday so I'm hoping I ate fairly better this weekend for today's test and that may do the trick.
    3 points! Ugh!
  • Kbabs47 said:

Failed the one hour. My doctors cut off is 128 (which I see as low compared to most) and I scored a 131! Failed by 3 points.
    I ate like crap the weekend before my 1 hour last Monday so I'm hoping I ate fairly better this weekend for today's test and that may do the trick.
    3 points! Ugh!</blockquote

That is crazy! My office cut off is 140!!

• Kbabs47 said:

Failed the one hour. My doctors cut off is 128 (which I see as low compared to most) and I scored a 131! Failed by 3 points.
    3 points! Ugh!

128 is such a random cut off isn't it?!

• For the one hour test, I was told not to fast and wasn't given any direction on what to/not to eat. I ate as I normally would and my test was after 3 pm. They called me two days later to let me know that I had failed. My doctor showed very little concern but decided to send me for the 2 hour test, this time with the directions to fast for 8 hours.

So I was able to schedule this test at 10am. I stayed up late and then woke up right before. Before giving me the drink, they took my blood and said that if I was over a 7.5 (Canada, maybe our number system is different? I have no idea what it means) that it would be an automatic fail and I would be diagnosed with GD. Well it came in at 3.4 which was good, but meant I would have to stay for the remainder of my test. It wasn't fun but I brought my SO along for company and to assist me when I fainted - which I did because I'm a baby with blood. 

I didn't hear anything back so after a week, I called my doctors office to confirm that no news was good news. It was and I passed! My advice would be to fast before taking the one hour to avoid a false positive. Yes, it sucks but its a lot better than having to take the longer test. 

Also, just for sake of ranting, it really bothers me when people associate GD with having an unhealthy lifestyle. Yes, that is definitely part of it, but plenty of healthy, active individuals get it too. Its unfair to portray it in a way that leaves mothers feeling guilty when the majority of the time, there was nothing they could do to prevent it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ehebaeheba member
    Update: I called my doc and said I forgot what he said about my diet for the day before my test and they said to eat normal.. just not sugars or carbs before the test in the morning!!! I guess I got it mixed up! I'm still going to lay low on the carbs and sugar today, just in case.
  • Going in for my two hour test tomorrow morning. We're required to fast (but drink plenty of water) from midnight until the test at 9 am. I usually feel starved from the moment I wake up (about 6:30 am) until I get some eggs in me, so this will be, uh, interesting. 
    Of course, I'm primarily hoping to pass with flying colors and know bebe is happy and healthy in there and I'd happily take this test again and again if medically neccessary. 
    But, I'd also like to not throw up and have to deal with shakiness/queasiness/headaches for the two hours I'm there while they draw blood. 
    Fingers crossed!!! 
    :-S
  • Hey ladies! I have my GD test in 2 days. How soon did yall get your results?
  • Kbabs47 said:
    Failed the one hour. My doctors cut off is 128 (which I see as low compared to most) and I scored a 131! Failed by 3 points. So here I am now, sitting in the office for my 3 hour. I ate like crap the weekend before my 1 hour last Monday so I'm hoping I ate fairly better this weekend for today's test and that may do the trick. 3 points! Ugh!

Failed the one hour. My doctors cut off is 128 (which I see as low compared to most) and I scored a 131! Failed by 3 points. So here I am now, sitting in the office for my 3 hour. I ate like crap the weekend before my 1 hour last Monday so I'm hoping I ate fairly better this weekend for today's test and that may do the trick. 3 points! Ugh!

wow, i thought my doctor was the lowest cutoff out there at 130! i scored a 136! but i passed the three hour. hopefully you will too, i think something like 80% do. best of luck!
  • Found out today I failed my 1 hour with a 136 and a 139 cutoff. 3 hour test is tomorrow. I've soaked my pillow just a little with tears. :-<
  • Took my glucose test today. My doctor uploaded the general blood test results to patient portal, but NOT the glucose results. Called and waiting to hear back now. Feel really annoyed and anxious. Way to make your preggo patient panic!!!!  :-S
  • My 1 hour test was today and I failed by 7 points
  • I had my 1 hour test today. The drink wasn't bad - tasted like non-carbonated orange soda. I felt pretty shaky and yucky afterward but had a cheese stick and some water and that seemed to help even out my blood sugar. I won't find out for three days whether I passed, though. :(
  • I meant a 130 cutoff. Anyways I did my 3 hour test today. Results this week. I couldn't be more anxious and still so upset about the 1 hour.
  • Goo d news...passed my 3 hour today!!! Thank God!
  • I took my 1 hour test yesterday around 10am and they called me at 9am this morning to tell me I failed, so about 24 hours. My Dr's office only calls with bad news! LOL
  • @ChrissyLady1115 crazy part id I cut out sweets for days and then and fasted overnight (as suggested but not required) before my one hour and failed. I splurged on sweets and snacks all weekend highly expecting to have passed and was shocked when I got the Monday morning call that I failed. I was then worried I'd ruined my 3 hour that I did the next day, but I guess maybe that carb load thing is real? I paced the waiting room during my 3 hour as well instead of sitting, but sat still during my 1 hour. Not sure if any of this prevents a false positive as many say, if u have it you do and if not you dont. But sure if better than a false positive. Don't really think a false negative is highly possible with the 3 hour. Good luck.
  • I took my GD test last Friday and thought for sure that if anything was wrong they'd have called me by now. (We have to go to an outpatient lab, they don't actually take blood in my dr's office.) The tech told me the doc will get the results in 1 or 2 days. So when Wednesday came and went I thought I was in the clear. Well, I missed a call at 6:30 pm today from the office that they want to "review my lab results." I'm freaking out. And to top it off, when I called back 5 mins later, I got the closed office message. There's no one I can talk to. Why call me after hours if I can't get in touch with you until tomorrow??! So friggin pissed off right now. My hormones make me actually want to cry.
  • @VioletandRose we are in the same boat! I missed a call at 4:45, and the office closed at 5. I took my one hour yesterday. Now I'm worried because they called back so fast and didn't leave any info on the message. Would it be awful if I handle my anxiety with a big ice cream sundae?
  • @leighann1 I swear I'm going to binge on sweets tonight because if I get word that I can't have them for the next 3 months I'm going to go into a tailspin.
  • sarahakabmgsarahakabmg member
    edited July 2015
    Had my test today, ate an egg before going in and had some water, drank it around 8am(my lab had orange and lime, yay I was so happy to not have fruit punch, the orange wasn't the best though).
    I know I wasn't feeling ill or like I had a ton of sugar at the time so I'm hopeful all was well. I've gained under a couple pounds in the last month, only month I've actually gained instead of stayed the same or lost this whole time.
    I've had some trouble sleeping a couple days with the baby being up at night, but I think I had a sugar crash by 12pm, and finally took a good 3-ish hour nap lol.
  • Took my one hour on Wednesday. It wasn't scheduled so it was a surprise. I have been eating crappy. .. I had cinnamon toast crunch for breakfast. .. Just called and I failed. Their cutoff is 130 and I scored a 138. I'm so disappointed! I've always had really easy pregnancies over all. Just really bummed. I hope I pass the 3 hour.
  • Took mine this week.  They told me no news was good news.  Was able to go online and check my results and it was 139.  I didn't bother watching what I was eating because I didn't want to try to pass it just to pass it.  If I truly have something going on I want to be able to treat it.  The night before I had chicken strips and a baked potato.  Then didn't eat anything for breakfast...just had water and the drink....appointment was at 8 am.  When I googled it said under 140 was ok so I assume that is what my doctor's office is going by.  Cannot believe I didn't bother asking!

• My midwife does a 2-hr test instead of the 1-hr. Took it yesterday and found out today I passed!
  • So I finally spoke with the doc this morning, and I "failed" my 1 hour   :(
    The cutoff is 135 and I came in at 135. So I have to take the 3 hour. So bummed. She even said, "most likely you don't have GD, but because you're at the cutoff we need you to take the 2nd test."

Blah.
  • I spoke too soon!  Went onto our portal and my results didn't post until today (not sure where I was seeing 135!) which was 144 high.  So I called the office and yep....I failed the one hour so I have to take the three hour one on Wednesday.  I wish they didn't do the no call equals good.  Just call!  Supposedly my doc was out and that's why they hadn't called.

• Welp I failed too. 149, with a cut off of 135. Can't even argue with it since I wasn't even close. Going Tuesdsy for the 3-hour. :/
  • Failed my 1-hour, but did not get my score! I was kind of expecting it, though, because my mom has HORRIBLE type 2. Took the 3-hour yesterday and initially felt clever because I have a lab within walking distance, so I could avoid the 30-minute drive downtown AND walk to/from every hour rather than sitting in the office all morning, then felt DUMB AS A STUMP because trips two and three made me so light-headed! Ha. Good one, me.