October 2015 Moms

What's something you're NOT looking forward to as a parent?

We are all excited about becoming mothers and watching our children grow up. But there's got to be something, however minor, about raising a child that you just are NOT looking forward. What is it?

Re: What's something you're NOT looking forward to as a parent?

• morganabyrdmorganabyrd member
    edited June 2015
    Bed wetting, and all it entails. Changing/washing sheets, washing kid, changing kid, kid then getting in your bed, scrubbing the kid's bed the next morning. Hopefully my sweets has a wonderful sized bladder, lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • In the near future, I don't want to deal with sleeplessness. It does some crazy things to a person...

In terms of raising my children, I'm not looking forward to when they no longer want to be around me. But, preteen/teen years are inevitable. [-(

Yeah, I'm totally gonna cry the day my son decides that I'm super lame.
  • Early in my pregnancy my husband and I were watching a Modern Family episode where one of the kids is leaving for college. I started crying and said "One day our baby is going to leave!" It was such a stereotypical hormonal pregnant moment. So yea, not looking forward to that :) 

In the short term, I'm not looking forward to having a trip outside the house be a major production. Now if my husband and I need to run an errand, we just jump in the car and go. It's going to be a lot more complicated with a baby.
  • Actual vomit is horrid. Spit up is not nearly as bad as you'd think when it's your baby :)

I'm not looking forward to my kids hating me either. In the immediate future, I'm not excited about the inevitable sibling jealousy that's going to occur once brother is here.
    October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• I'm dreading the day when my son goes through puberty and wonders about his body and girls oh no I know my husband says he can handle when that comes but just the fact that my son is gonna grow up and wants girlfriends and he can get hurt is something that freaks me out!! :((
  • I'm not looking forward to the way the world is going, it makes me scared for them as adults and what they will go through. I think about it more now as a mom than I ever did before. Healthcare, different laws that will impact us as citizens, and different social issues that will impact our kids differently than us. My worries are for the future mainly and things I have no control over.

I however am not looking forward to blowouts, those I do not miss from my first.
  • Well I'm a FTM so I'm worried about everything and anything. Biggest concern is any illnesses. I know no one wants to think that their child may have one. But I just pray and really try to do everything I can to keep him safe! I'm going to be nuts I know it! Lol
  • Moody teenage girl years. I was the worst, so I know I'm in for it.
  • I'm not going to lie, I am not looking forward to the very needy stage.  I kind of am enjoying that my boys are pretty independent.  I enjoy that they can get their own snacks, pick up toys, walk to the car, and I am able to literally just grab my wallet and go places with them.  

• Not looking forward to teenage years. My two girls are only a 15mos apart so I can only imagine what the house is going to be like in 11 years.

I'm also actually dreading them entering school aged years. I'm a teacher myself, and I am disheartened by some of the policies and changes going on in public education. I never imagined having my kids in private school (this is one of the bigger arguments DH and I had as his family did private schooling), but now I am not so sure.
  • Living in a constant state of worry (FTM here). It's bad enough right now, worrying about what I am eating, if I'm getting enough sleep. It's worth it and I can't wait to see who my little one grows up to be, but I worry about everything from illnesses to bullying. 
  • I'm really not looking forward to true lack of sleep and I'm also very nervous about being the only person to feed the baby for weeks (if I can breastfeed!)

If we have a boy I'm not looking forward to those puberty boy years were they start to get hair and their voice changes! It's going to be weird!
  • I'm so terrified of when my children start driving. I'm going to pray every time they get in that car!

Oh my gosh, I'll have little heart attacks during this stage. This will be all DH for sure.

• I know this sounds daft but I'm not looking forward to her inane stupidity and not being able to hold a sensible conversation with her for years. For example, my brother's daughter one evening decided to cut all the hair off her dolls, then proceeded to sob uncontrollably for several hours because her dolls had no hair. My initial reaction is 'What was she expecting????' But then I have to remind myself she has the brain of a three year old and has little to no logical thoughts. I think I'm gonna have to develop a new sense of tolerance for stupidity that I'm lacking at the minute..... :)
  • Birdee212 said:
    For me, it's dealing with loose teeth. My sister told me this morning that my niece fired the tooth fairy. She forgot to take my niece's tooth from under her pillow last night and leave money, so my sister got an earful over breakfast. I had an "Oh Crap" moment and realized that the tooth fairy is now in my imminent future. I'm way too squeamish for this. I hated having loose teeth as a kid, and hated having them pulled even more. How am I going to deal when my son has a dangly bicuspid?! If I could skip this part of the child-rearing experience, I think I would. Diarrhea, vomit, and blood, I can handle. The loose teeth thing is nah.

My son is 10 and well in to prime tooth losing age. Teeth freak me out so bad, so we came up with a good solution that might work for you. When he loses a tooth, we always throw it away right away. The thought of teeth floating around in my bag/house/wallet freaks me out and makes me want to vomit. We have a crocheted tooth the my son puts on the nightstand at night before bed on the days he loses a tooth. The tooth fairy comes and takes it away and leaves two quarters in its place.
  • Screaming, crying, epic meltdowns (especially in public), first time he tells me he hates me, cleaning up vomit, sleepless nights, seeing him sick or hurt and feeling helpless when there isn't much I can do to make him feel better and of course the dreaded adolescent years! Dating, sex talk, hormones...oh boy!
  • @BrooklynBroussard Exactly!!! I used to totally judge parents when their child was having a meltdown! I still do, a little bit, but not as much as I used to! Now I just sit there and am like "oh my god that's my future in a couple of years!"

I only judge the parents that do the whole "ignore it" tactic. While I think it's great to practice that at home, I think in public you need a different approach! My parents always just left whatever store or restaurant we were at and would go sit in the car with us until we calmed down and then they'd take us back in!
  • I've got a four year old, so for the most part, I'm dealing with all that entails and it doesn't scare me.

I mostly worry about how my DD will adjust to a baby. I think she will love it, but worried about jealousy. Im also worried about all the lack of sleep.

I'm also going to miss the non-needy stage. I LOVED when DD was a baby, but her age now is SO MUCH FUN. I'm not sure I want to do the baby stage all over, having no life, huge diaper bag and stuff every time I go somewhere.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rue:Drue:D member
    Initially, as a FTM having twins - the bodily fluids and functions, and losing sleep! The near future is all I can handle thinking about right now!
  • Maybe it's because we are in the middle of this right now with dd1 but the temper tantrums. Literally today in the car nothing could make her happy. She just wanted to be out of the car and I couldn't take her out just yet. I don't know how I will handle two of them as our girls will be just over two years apart.
  • rue:Drue:D member
    @mollypuss1 Omg, that didn't even occur to me - but yeah, I'm not looking forward to crazy kid logic! I too cannot tolerate high levels of stupidity, although that's generally with adults...
  • My only fear is when my 2 boys get older and don't need their momma as much as they used to when they were little ! When they stop running to me crying when they fall and get hurt, when they go with their friends out to do stuff instead of me :( !
  • I'm worrying about how the dynamics of relationships will change with family and friends. With most siblings and cousins on both sides already having children, my husband and I work around their schedules with holidays, etc. I know we won't just want to run back and forth between 4 different houses at thanksgiving and Christmas this year with a newborn. The comments and expectations of those families are stressing me already since we are always just able to pick up and go now.

Also, I worry about how I'll handle the people that will tell children "oh you need to come stay with me.", "when are you going to come spend the night?", etc. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when I hear others doing that to children. I would always ask the parents first when the children aren't around because sometimes parents aren't ready for their child to stay away, etc.
  • I have two major concerns:

1. The change in lifestyle for my husband and me. It's been just us for seven years, so it will take some adjustment to go from us to us + child.

2. As many have said, the teenage years. I try to focus on the several examples in my own family of awesome teenagers who still love and respect their parents, but I do get a bit nervous when I see rowdy-looking teenagers at the mall...
  • Totally not looking forward to my girls dating. It terrifies me to no end!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm nervous for teenage years. I gave my parents hell. I snuck out, disappeared for days at a time and I eloped with my high school sweet heart and moved to a different state when I turned 18. I hope I can communicate better with my son than my parents did with me when I got to be a teenager. I don't think I could handle my baby being as mean to me as I was to my parents. I can't tell yall how many times I made my mom cry.. :(