February 2016 Moms

FB stranges?

To tag onto the Facebook post below, anyone have any funny/weird/angry/tmi stories about people announcing or saying odd things about pregnancy/birth on Facebook? I feel like we see a lot of craziness!

Re: FB stranges?

• QuazelQuazel member
    I think my main one was when my brother had his fourth child, my whole family was at the hospital. All of the sudden my nephew's girlfriend said "Omg, the baby was born! Your dad posted it on Facebook!" We all looked and yup, here we were waiting and my brother had posted a picture and birth announcement on Facebook 20 minutes before coming out to tell those at the hospital. I thought it was weird that that was what he was doing in the delivery room.
  • Didn't announce my pregnancy or DD's birth on FB. I'm paranoid about my privacy.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • QuazelQuazel member
    magnumJ said:

Didn't announce my pregnancy or DD's birth on FB. I'm paranoid about my privacy.

We have never posted DS' birthday. I am sometimes shocked by the info I see people post. I will probably post about my pregnancy when I am ready but it will all be general comments, no specifics.
  • I actually just saw an announcement yesterday the girl posted a pic of her pee stick, tagged like 40 people and that's how she told the baby daddy he was going to be a daddy .

Hope he is excited because everyone who knows everyone she tagged knows. I don't even know her I saw it because she tagged someone on my friends list
  • ambdtbambdtb member
    edited June 2015
    Since we struggled with infertility I took a hiatus from Facebook. I realized how it impacted me seeing all of the posts of people I haven't seen in years having children, posting their monthly baby pics, announcing pregnancies, etc. what really got to me was when people would complain about their children or baby and say thoughtless things and go on rants. After going through all of our treatments and knowing how hard it is to finally make it to a positive pregnancy test etc. I plan to post the bare minimum on Facebook. I'm sure there eventually be a pregnancy pic of me posted and that's fine, but I really don't see myself truly making an announcement or posting many specifics of the baby if we are lucky enough to make it that far!!
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • g0lightly8706g0lightly8706 member
    edited June 2015
    This literally happened yesterday. One of my FB friends said "my mucus plug broke' instead of something tactful like the baby is on its way. Come on lady, no one wants to read about your plug! Crazy people
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Quazel said:
    Didn't announce my pregnancy or DD's birth on FB. I'm paranoid about my privacy.
    We have never posted DS' birthday. I am sometimes shocked by the info I see people post. I will probably post about my pregnancy when I am ready but it will all be general comments, no specifics.
    It just drives me crazy when I see people posting every detail. PEOPLE, do you not know that's how identities are being stolen these days?

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• DH is a FB over sharer, although he is not nearly as bad as his family. I have been tagged in funeral pictures (I really don't get why we take the pics in the 1st place) a few times by them and during the sharing of all of the details of MIL's passing this year. Pics were also taken and posted of us saying our last goodbyes. Totally creeped me out. How is that not considered a private moment?

I untag myself every time. I finally also changed my setting so people cannot post to my wall. I have to approve the post 1st.

My family is very private and we call those we feel need to know when we have family stuff going on.

I had to ask DH to remove several pictures from FB after DS1 was born and asked to be given veto/approval rights during future announcements.
  • g0lightly8706g0lightly8706 member
    edited June 2015
    DH is a FB over sharer, although he is not nearly as bad as his family. I have been tagged in funeral pictures (I really don't get why we take the pics in the 1st place) a few times by them and during the sharing of all of the details of MIL's passing this year. Pics were also taken and posted of us saying our last goodbyes. Totally creeped me out. How is that not considered a private moment? I untag myself every time. I finally also changed my setting so people cannot post to my wall. I have to approve the post 1st. My family is very private and we call those we feel need to know when we have family stuff going on. I had to ask DH to remove several pictures from FB after DS1 was born and asked to be given veto/approval rights during future announcements.
    She has the worst habit of taking horrendous photos of us while we're at a restaurant eating and then posts it. like WTF lady? what did i do in a former life to deserve that photo being posted?! so annoying. 

• DH is a FB over sharer, although he is not nearly as bad as his family. I have been tagged in funeral pictures (I really don't get why we take the pics in the 1st place) a few times by them and during the sharing of all of the details of MIL's passing this year. Pics were also taken and posted of us saying our last goodbyes. Totally creeped me out. How is that not considered a private moment? I untag myself every time. I finally also changed my setting so people cannot post to my wall. I have to approve the post 1st. My family is very private and we call those we feel need to know when we have family stuff going on. I had to ask DH to remove several pictures from FB after DS1 was born and asked to be given veto/approval rights during future announcements.
    She has the worst habit of taking horrendous photos of us while we're at a restaurant eating and then posts it. like WTF lady? what did i do in a former life to deserve that photo being posted?! so annoying. 
    MIL did this after DD was born. She showed up right away, took a bunch of pictures (I had been up all night and just had a baby) and emailed them to everyone. They are literally the worst pictures of me in existence. I'm still pissed.

We're debating not letting anyone, other than DD, visit until the next day this time.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• magnumJ said:
    DH is a FB over sharer, although he is not nearly as bad as his family. I have been tagged in funeral pictures (I really don't get why we take the pics in the 1st place) a few times by them and during the sharing of all of the details of MIL's passing this year. Pics were also taken and posted of us saying our last goodbyes. Totally creeped me out. How is that not considered a private moment? I untag myself every time. I finally also changed my setting so people cannot post to my wall. I have to approve the post 1st. My family is very private and we call those we feel need to know when we have family stuff going on. I had to ask DH to remove several pictures from FB after DS1 was born and asked to be given veto/approval rights during future announcements.
    MIL did this after DD was born. She showed up right away, took a bunch of pictures (I had been up all night and just had a baby) and emailed them to everyone. They are literally the worst pictures of me in existence. I'm still pissed.

We're debating not letting anyone, other than DD, visit until the next day this time.

I'm totally debating doing that too. We may tell them when its coming but i have no need for them to be there till after we have a chance to breathe.I doubt it'll work but I'm seriously going to make it a huge deal to not post any photos until we do. I really hope they can at least respect that.. we'll see :\

• magnumJ said:

I'm totally debating doing that too. We may tell them when its coming but i have no need for them to be there till after we have a chance to breathe.I doubt it'll work but I'm seriously going to make it a huge deal to not post any photos until we do. I really hope they can at least respect that.. we'll see :\
    I only let them in because they brought food. I still had my catheter in for christ sake.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• MrsJG3 said:
    Is it bad that I look at my hospital stay as a vacation lol? I plan on staying the whole 4 days and only allowing my kids to visit briefly. Most quiet I will get the whole year.
    We couldn't wait to get out last time. I have a feeling I will feel different this time :)

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    magnumJ said:

MrsJG3 said:

Is it bad that I look at my hospital stay as a vacation lol? I plan on staying the whole 4 days and only allowing my kids to visit briefly. Most quiet I will get the whole year.

We couldn't wait to get out last time. I have a feeling I will feel different this time :)

With my first I left before 24 hours. Now I am going to pretend it is a hotel, order jimmy johns in and hang out with my new baby before I have to share with everyone else ;).
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• MrsJG3 said:

Same here. The food at ours is great and after so many kids is a fairly short time the nurses remember us (in a good way). Our nurse last time kept saying she loved the calm in our room. We allowed people on day 1 and 4 only and did not allow visitors days 2 or 3. It was wonderful. I actually felt rested and ready to go home. I also have no problem sending the baby to the nursery for 3 hours at a time twice a night so I can get some rest.
  • MrsJG3 said:
    MrsJG3 said:
    With my first I left before 24 hours. Now I am going to pretend it is a hotel, order jimmy johns in and hang out with my new baby before I have to share with everyone else ;).
    There is a Jimmy Johns 2 blocks from the hospital - I'm definitely ordering some PP now too.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• My close friend just gave birth 2 weeks ago. Due to privacy for the baby, she deleted her fb. Then before I even got a call from her announcing the birth, her crazy huge in-law family posted TONS of baby pics and awful pictures of her (& mind you she's gorgeous already). She didn't want any pictures online but they did it anyways. So privacy these days, even if you don't have fb or don't want everything public is unfortunately bound to happen. They were tagging cousins, grandparents, posting the weight and time of birth and full name without even caring to ask her permission first. It's unfortunate. So if you really care about privacy, either don't allow anyone in or clearly state you don't want the baby on fb. Even though she hinted at it, they did it anyways!
  • My close friend just gave birth 2 weeks ago. Due to privacy for the baby, she deleted her fb. Then before I even got a call from her announcing the birth, her crazy huge in-law family posted TONS of baby pics and awful pictures of her (& mind you she's gorgeous already). She didn't want any pictures online but they did it anyways. So privacy these days, even if you don't have fb or don't want everything public is unfortunately bound to happen. They were tagging cousins, grandparents, posting the weight and time of birth and full name without even caring to ask her permission first. It's unfortunate. So if you really care about privacy, either don't allow anyone in or clearly state you don't want the baby on fb. Even though she hinted at it, they did it anyways!
    We don't allow our child's name to be posted online and limit photographs. It's caused a lot of arguments. I don't hesitate to delete things or report stuff to FB under COPPA (the children's online privacy protection act) if someone posts something against my wishes that violates my child's privacy.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• That requires constant monitoring while my friend is caring for a newborn and deleted her fb, she has no way to know. I told her of course but it only stressed her out. I'm sure eventually she will sign back on and delete it all/request it be taken down but that'll definitely cause family drama.
  • HBirdieHBirdie member
    edited June 2015
    My SMIL was sneakily taking awful pictures of me at the hospital after I had DS. I went through 36 hours of labor, an emergency c-section, and a bad reaction to one of the pain meds they gave me. My face was red and swollen, I hadn't showered, I had a catheter...I looked terrible. She just sat there snapping away. Wtf? When I noticed I freaked out and told her to stop and delete them, and she just kept taking them until I covered my face with a pillow. How rude is that? I felt so vulnerable and awful and she's got her iPhone in my face. She didn't post them on FB, thank god, but she uploaded them to our family photo stream and told me "You'll be grateful for these one day." Nope, still not grateful.

Eta: autocorrect typo
  • HBirdie said:
    My SMIL was sneakily taking awful pictures of me at the hospital after I had DS. I went through 36 hours of labor, an emergency c-section, and a bad reaction to one of the pain meds they gave me. My face was red and swollen, I hadn't showered, I had a catheter...I looked terrible. She just sat there snapping away. Wtf? When I noticed I freaked out and told her to stop and delete them, and she just kept taking them until I covered my face with a pillow. How rude is that? I felt so vulnerable and awful and she's got her iPhone in my face. She didn't post them on FB, thank god, but she uploaded them to our family photo stream and told me "You'll be grateful for these one day." Nope, still not grateful. Eta: autocorrect typo
    This is TERRIBLE!!! PEople are so rude!!! I just don't understand!!! 
    me: 29 DH: 30
    Married 3.6.15
    EDD of Baby S 2.5.16

LFAF-July Siggy
  • OMG, Hbirdie. My hormonal ass would have rained down wrath on her. How awful.
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • OMG, Hbirdie. My hormonal ass would have rained down wrath on her. How awful.

I am way too polite, I rarely stand up for myself in person, but it was too much. She knew I was pissed. It's just so rude and invasive. She still thinks someday I'll see the pictures and get all weepy and thank her for them. Eff no. If she hadn't taken those and sent them to me, I could pretty much forget how awful I looked. Now, not possible.
  • We didn't allow anyone to come to the hospital after my son was born. Hearing these stories, I'm even more convinced it was the best choice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • magnumJ said:

MrsJG3 said:

magnumJ said:

MrsJG3 said:

There is a Jimmy Johns 2 blocks from the hospital - I'm definitely ordering some PP now too.

Can you generally eat outside food when in hospital? If so, why would anyone choose to eat the hospital food? I can't imagine that my mom won't buy us outside food lol.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • magnumJ said:

MrsJG3 said:

magnumJ said:

MrsJG3 said:

Can you generally eat outside food when in hospital? If so, why would anyone choose to eat the hospital food? I can't imagine that my mom won't buy us outside food lol.

We were able to eat whatever. It probably depends on your hospital/Dr. But we ordered Jimmy Johns after our daughter was born because it was late and the cafeteria was already closed. But I'm weird and totally love hospital food. I ate that every meal. Yum!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well maybe I'm weird but I also think Jimmy John's, Subway and the like are gross lol.

My family better bring me something from a good restaurant after all the work I'll do. I don't do chains unless I'm on a road trip. I'm a bit of a snob like that :(

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ohbaby714 said:
    MrsJG3 said:
    MrsJG3 said:
    We were able to eat whatever. It probably depends on your hospital/Dr. But we ordered Jimmy Johns after our daughter was born because it was late and the cafeteria was already closed. But I'm weird and totally love hospital food. I ate that every meal. Yum!
    We had burgers from a local place because it's what I wanted and was starving because I hadn't eaten for over 12 hours. The hospital food wasn't too bad, though. DD was born at about 8:30 AM, but if she had been born in the middle of the night, my only food option would have been a cold hospital sandwich and juice, which sounds terrible.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    I think there is a huge difference between Jimmy johns and subway. I won't eat subway. Guess I am not that "fancy."
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• I only had jimmy John's once in college like 12 years ago lol. But I thought it was like a subway or blimpie. I only like boar's head cold cuts so I hate all chain sandwich shops.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MrsJG3 said:
    I think there is a huge difference between Jimmy johns and subway. I won't eat subway. Guess I am not that "fancy."
    There is a HUGE difference.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• This literally happened yesterday. One of my FB friends said "my mucus plug broke' instead of something tactful like the baby is on its way. Come on lady, no one wants to read about your plug! Crazy people
    One of my good friends from high school kept updating everyone on how many centimeters she was dilated. And I thought that was bad! I don't know what I'd have said if she mentioned her mucus plug!

I have a huge issue with this kind of stuff. There are certain things that SHOULD NOT go on the internet, people! Once you put it up, you can't take it down. It's there forever. Same issue I have with friends posting pictures of their kids butt naked running through the sprinkler. Put it in a physical photo album like normal people. Don't upload to social media. Gah!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Wow! Y'all are like over the top with privacy! Not that it's a bad thing I'm just surprised. We live very far away from my family and so I end up using Facebook as a platform to keep them up to date on our day to day lives. This means just about everything gets posted. I do not friend people that I do not know. My friends list is family, old and new friends. I set my settings so that only my friends can see what I am posting. Recently I did go through and make everyone who I haven't spoken to in a long time or is not family and made them "acquaintances" I set my posts to be only viewable by "friends except acquaintances." So now really only family and people who are currently in my life can see all my pictures and what not. It was so much work though! I even went through all my albums to make them viewable only in that category. I want every one to easily keep up with us though and that's the easiest way being so far away.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • This literally happened yesterday. One of my FB friends said "my mucus plug broke' instead of something tactful like the baby is on its way. Come on lady, no one wants to read about your plug! Crazy people
    I never told anyone about losing my mucus plug, except for my doctor and my BMB (and now you guys). I'll leave it at I was in a public restroom and it was horrifying. 

Just wait until someone post a picture of theirs... It's probably going to happen.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• My labor didn't go as planned and DH posted something to the effect of "we are at xxx hospital and xxx is in labor. Things are not going well." And freaking left it at that and put his phone down. I'm sure he was just venting his stress at the fact that my labor wasn't progressing and we had been induced 4 weeks early, but my friends and family thought there was a serious problem.
  • It's good to know I'm not the only one who is wary of Facebook. I quit using it because I grew tired of people I never see knowing my business, and I'm not into a bunch of stuff being posted about my future kid either. It will be a job to reign in DH and his family though.
  • Wow! Y'all are like over the top with privacy! Not that it's a bad thing I'm just surprised. We live very far away from my family and so I end up using Facebook as a platform to keep them up to date on our day to day lives. This means just about everything gets posted. I do not friend people that I do not know. My friends list is family, old and new friends. I set my settings so that only my friends can see what I am posting. Recently I did go through and make everyone who I haven't spoken to in a long time or is not family and made them "acquaintances" I set my posts to be only viewable by "friends except acquaintances." So now really only family and people who are currently in my life can see all my pictures and what not. It was so much work though! I even went through all my albums to make them viewable only in that category. I want every one to easily keep up with us though and that's the easiest way being so far away.
    Same. We have tons of out of town family, we like to keep them informed. I post pictures of my son a few times a week, sometimes our kitties, and I post a lot of my political opinions on FB. Yep, I'm that person. It's my page, I do what I want. :P I don't have friends I don't know on there.
  • ss456 said:

We didn't allow anyone to come to the hospital after my son was born. Hearing these stories, I'm even more convinced it was the best choice!

Ditto.
    These stories are crazy! People can be so inconsiderate.
     BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker