April 2015 Moms

Pump One Side at Night?

I am exclusively BF and during the day I'm always able to switch my LO back and forth between breasts, but during her night feeding she's so tired that she falls asleep and won't latch onto the second breast (even if I try after just 5 minutes). Do you think it's necessary to pump the other breast in the middle of the night or can I just offer it at the first morning feeding?
Thanks!

Re: Pump One Side at Night?

• Unless you are too uncomfortable or your LO has a hard time latching or drinking if its too full in the AM, I don't think you need to pump.
  • Mine does the exact same thing. Occasionally during the day he'll only take one breast though. When he was waking frequently I would not pump. Now he wakes only once or sleeps through, and I do pump. I don't think it is necessary, but I want a stash.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine baby does the same, I don't pump but sometimes I regret it when I wake up in the morning when its super achy! Other nights I don't have a problem.
  • Thanks for the info, ladies! :)
  • lmk115lmk115 member
    My baby does the same and I try to pump the other side. It's a great way to get some extra for storage!
  • I'm not sure when you change the diaper at night, but I always do it between sides so that he wakes up in order to take from the other side.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • I pump so I have a stash. My LO then sleeps another 3 hours in the morning (5-8am) so I'm full when she gets up. B/c she has really bad reflux I then feed her from one side and then pump and save the other. If I gave it to her she would just spit it all up so I stash it since I'm going back to work soon.