TTC After a Loss

Need Thoughts! (retained tissue question)

Hi all,

I'm new here.  Actually haven't started TTC yet because I'm still dealing with miscarriage related issues and I need some opinions.  My D&C was 4/13/15.  My HCG is at a 5 today and they have seen via ultrasound that there's 1cm of retained tissue left.  I'm somewhat at a loss of what to do.  The midwife recommended another D&C but it almost seems crazy to go through that again for 1cm worth of tissue.  Does anyone have any experiences with this?  Could it possibly come out on its own if I just give it more time (its already been over 2 months!)?  Or do I need to take this action?  I really just want to move past all this...

All thoughts and experiences are much appreciated...

Thanks!

Re: Need Thoughts! (retained tissue question)

• I had a d&c on 4/10, bled a lot for a long time and had a small piece of tissue come out on 4/28. (I didn't know it was still in there at the time.) All bleeding stopped at that point. My hcg was 6 on 6/4. I think it's all gone now and I've gotten my second AF.

If I still had a piece of tissue over 2 months later and my dr suggested another d&c, I guess I would probably do that. Maybe if I wasn't in a hurry to try again, I'd think about waiting it out. I'm TTC#1 at 37, so my situation may be a bit different than yours.

Whatever you decide, I feel for you. It's hard when this process drags out longer than it should.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Agreed with PP. If you feel as if you want the process to be sped up, another D&C would be the way to go. I attempted to MC naturally for about a month, but an ultrasound showed a great deal of tissue still there. I decided that day to do the D&C because I couldn't muster the strength to wait another extended period of time for it to come out on its own. It's going to be a personal decision of your comfort level.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Loading the player...
  • I had a d&c back in December 2014 and two weeks after the procedure I was sent for a follow up US and my Dr sent me to the emergency room for an emergency d&c, the on call gynaecologist said it was too soon to perform a second d&c safely and told me to wait it it took another three weeks or so for the remaining tissue to come out. I had a partial molar pregnancy and my HCG levels did not reach negative (5 or less) until mid March 2015
    I don't really have any advice on what you should do but thought I'd share.. After two months I think I would consider a 2nd d&c just to get it over with.. Or maybe get a 2nd opinion from a medical professional..
    Good luck!
  • It's a a big risk/benefits question. D&Cs always present the risk of injury to the lining of the uterus, but follow up D&Cs seem to amplify the risk. I'd have a conversation with your OB/RE to discuss the risk of developing Asherman's Syndrome (development of uterine adhesions/scarring after local trauma that can reduce or impede fertility) versus giving your body time to expel the tissue on it's own or even assisting it chemically with something like Cytotec/misoprostol.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• I agree with the PP. I would not do another D&C... Especially for that amount of tissue. I had my D&C on May 20th... Spent the next two weeks in bed with low blood pressure and the only time I left was to go to the hospital. Finally went in on May 30 and they found a lot of retained tissue. They gave me Cytotec instead of doing another D&C because I was told that the more times you have them, the higher the risk for infertility. I was also told that it is very unsafe to keep the retained tissue and you. Just a word though, the Cytotec is not fun! I wish I had a better idea of what to expect when they said contractions. I'm still bleeding pretty heavily off and on and my hCG levels are at 4.25. It's extremely frustrating. I have checked and double checked, and there is no retained tissue. My RE talking about the possibility of a medical intervention if the bleeding doesn't slow soon. Point being, I definitely would not let things simmer. And if you decide not to take action, please keep your eyes open for any temperatures or chills or dizziness/low blood pressure… It's not A good thing to have the retained tissue in you. If left for too long, you could become potentially septic. I would definitely recommend that you go in and have a physical examination also to make sure that everything is feeling correct in your tubes and ovaries and uterus. Good luck sweetheart! Sending prayers your way.
  • Thank you all! I did 2 rounds of cytotec over the last 2 weeks and neither of them worked. I still have retained tissue and am bleeding pretty regularly now all the time not to mention very dizzy all the time. I've decided I need to get a 2nd d&c even though I wish I could avoid it. I just don't see how I can wait any longer. And both my midwife and consulting OBs are recommending this. So tomorrow is the procedure and I will hope for the best. I appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences!!

• @bkbistro321, I hope it goes well and the bleeding stops. I was getting dizzy from all the bleeding after my d&c, too. I was so tired and had dark circles under my eyes. It really takes a toll on you. It was wonderful to start feeling like myself again after it was over. You'll be there soon.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I am so sorry that the Cytotec didn't work, but it sounds like the retained tissue isn't budging without help. I hope the 2nd D&C resolves it and you recover and heal swiftly.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• My doctor was going to do a water ultrasound to make sure the leftover tissue wasn't a fibroid or a cyst.  Thankfully never had to do that.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Hello I am new here too- Just wanted to tell you the same thing happened to me. I had a d&e on 3/23 mmc at 12wks. Then 11 weeks later, still no period, weird discharge, and an overall feeling something was wrong- talk about stressful!! Turns out I had retained tissue, hcg at 57- original hcg was at 170,000. Because my body was still not rejecting the tissue, my dr recommended another procedure. I had my second d&e on 6/11, drs used ultrasound and said it was alittle bit of sticky tissue. Having a normal recovery so far. Can't wait for this to be over!!! This was my first pregnancy, it sucks. Good luck to you
  • Hello. I am in the middle (well hopefully now at the end) of my MC. I started spotting last Sunday and then it got worse. Scan showed no heartbeat on Wednesday. Started to bleed heavily on Thursday. Was advised to miscarry naturally and did so. Went for follow up scan yesterday (Wednesday) and there was 3cm of tissue left. The MW agreed that I had come so far and should let my body do its thing. Last night something big came out while I was on the loo. Definitely 3cm + so I think that's it now.
    I'm back for a scan in another week to confirm but I am confident that it's all over with.
    Maybe just let your body do what it can naturally for the remaining 1cm x
  • I had a d&c in December after a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks. I had issues with bleeding and pain for months. Finally in March they did an ultrasound and found a small amount of retained tissue and suggested I get a second d&c. I just wanted it to be over and to begin to get back to normal. After the d&c my doctor told me he found a lot of retained tissue that he was unable to see in the ultrasound. I highly recommend doing it. I gave me a sense of closure to the ordeal rather than waiting for it to pass on its own.
  • I had a mmc in march with a d&e and then had a 2nd d&e 11wks later due to retained tissue. It sucks right? Bad enough having a MC then having a screwed up recovery too... But I think it happens much more than drs like to admit. Mine said he only has to repeat one every few years, but I have read many stories online with girls having to get repeated ones.. Good luck to you!