2nd Trimester
Options

Naming baby after dad?

So...my boyfriend and I have difficulty now because he believes his son should be named after him because he was named after his own father and wishes to "carry on the legacy" I get that entirely. I just feel like naming the baby after him eliminates all of what would be my "legacy" in so far as the name is concerned of course. Any ideas about compromise or anything?

Re: Naming baby after dad?

• Options
    I had the same convo with my husband. He wanted LO to be the III. Baby is a girl so the point ended up being moot, but the consensus was that baby would get hubby's name as a middle name (hubby doesn't have a middle name) and we would pick his first name out together.

Perhaps you could do that? Or use a special name to you as the middle name?
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't like naming children to be Jr.s, and, god forbid, adding numerals to the name is terrible. Why can't the kid have their OWN name?

We gave DS MH's first name as his middle name. That was our compromise.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • Options
    I know that Jr's+ are popular but they are NMS at all and I dislike them.  I'm assuming the child will have his last name? That is carrying on his name.  Maybe compromise with using his first name as a middle and then selecting a first name together that will be his own name. 

• Options
    Wish i had some advice, but im going through the same thing. My husband wants a jr, and i do not want my son having his name. He is already getting his last name.

image image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Two thoughts.

1. Last name or first name. Your husband's choice. 

2. First "formal" name but kid goes by his middle name. 
  • Options
    We don't like Jr so we were never going to do that but we did end up using my husband's first name as our 5 year old's middle name.  I think that could be a compromise in your situation. 
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Boy he can have it but then I get a big say in girl name!!
  • Options
    My husband is a Jr & it is a huge pain in the ass. There is constantly a mix up of bills, appointments and mail. Also- my husband's credit score was crap until we figured out a lot of his dad's stuff was on there. That did end up getting sorted out. Anyways, we will use my husband's name as the babies middle name instead of as a first name.
  • Options
    MyelhsaMyelhsa member
    edited June 2015
    fitmama89 said:

My husband is a Jr & it is a huge pain in the ass. There is constantly a mix up of bills, appointments and mail. Also- my husband's credit score was crap until we figured out a lot of his dad's stuff was on there. That did end up getting sorted out. Anyways, we will use my husband's name as the babies middle name instead of as a first name.

This.

I work at a bank and differentiating between Sr. Jr. Or III is always a huge pain and I can't even tell you about the amount of deposits that end up in the wrong account because of it. It may be a 'legacy' things but as far as real world practicality, it's really a pain.

• Options
    fitmama89 said:

This. Exactly. My brother is a jr. Lots of mix ups and confusion. Especially when he got a bit older.

This is a funny example (out of like a million). Dad and brother work for the same company. Dad was prob 54 and brother 28. It was yearly medical time at work. There were student doctors giving the medicals. Brother had a male Dr and the Dr kept telling him he looked so good that he just couldn't believe it. Brother was getting creeped out, bc if the Dr was hitting on him during his medical - that's very unprofessional. When the medical was over, the Dr said, "I just can't believe you're over 50!" Brother laughed and said, "I'm not. You have my dad's file."

They also have the same middle initial (not name though), but brother has two middle names.
  • Options
    Our son will have my husband's middle name, and last name. There's his legacy. Lol. We will never have a junior!

imageimage

O'15 September Siggy Challenge -- Third Trimester Woes
  • Options
    I do not want my son to have my husband's first name, he is already getting his last name. But he has been persistent, so our son's middle name will be my husband's first name.

image image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Our son will have his fathers middle name (: !
  • Options
    I have a friend who is a Jr. He's always had issues with his files getting mixed up with his Dads. He told me one time he didn't like being a Jr.
  • Options
    My husband's name is Nicholas and his childhood nickname is Nico. If we're having a boy we will name him Niko. :) I feel like that's a fair compromise.
  • Options
    My hubby follows a certain family naming tradition. The first names of their children must start with Ro. This alone made it so hard for me to think of a unique name and that that has not yet been used by his other family members. I even joked on him to just name our son after him, making him a Jr. But hubby's name is a girl's name (seriously!) so we can't let baby suffer like he did.
  • Options
    We named DS so he has DH's same initials. That was the closest we came to naming them the same, and that was even my idea, not DH.
  • Options
    My son is a ||| and we havnt and any issue's with my H and FIL getting mixed up. Ones big james ones lil james and my son is lj. And they all have vary simular date of birth
  • Options
    fitmama89 said:

This is why I'm completely against Jr.s.