Babies: 9 - 12 Months

daycare for 9 mo. old

We have the most fantastic nanny for our 9 mo. old who she shares with a 12 mo. old. The arrangement could not be more ideal. Unfortunately she is quitting and the other child is going to an in home daycare that is too far from us to use.  

We have hired a new nanny because she is a native speaker of my husband's first language in the hopes of helping our little one gain fluency in the language.  We have asked whether she would consider doing a nanny share and she has said no.  

I just think a nanny share is a much better situation, for the socialization skills and for financial reasons, but then again we want our daughter to be fluent in my husband's first language, and because there was no one else around us that speaks it, we want to maximize her exposure to it.  

What are everyones thoughts for 9-15 month old?  How much socialization do they need? 

Re: daycare for 9 mo. old

• Socialization is good but it's not like your LO is completely isolated. She has you and DH, then the new nanny (which sounds pretty ideal) during the day.  Interaction with people in general is going to be helpful.  You can always have your nanny do park trips, join a reading story hour at the local library, see if there are other baby/toddler groups in your area you could join etc.  At this point I wouldn't be too worried about the extra socialization especially since it sounds like your new nanny is very ideal otherwise.  We started our kids in 2by2, pre-school, and Pre-K all before kindergarten and those are where the socialization really was helpful.   

• Thanks your comment is encouraging.