High-Risk Pregnancy

GD Sucks!

I know other women have posted this same thing on this board, but I just have to do it. I am 33 weeks pregnant, and have GD. If I eat what I'm supposed to, my glucose numbers are normal. But I am randomly having a hard time with eating the right things. I'm a teacher, so I'm on summer break. I thought this would make it easier to be at home and pick what I want to eat, but it's actually making it more difficult! Sometimes I feel confident and positive about it, and other times I find myself crying and upset because I can't have food that I crave or just want really bad. My husband does a great job consoling me, but sometimes it just depresses me. I never thought I could feel like that over food. Who's in the same boat?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: GD Sucks!

• I have GD too. It's about finding and keeping thing you can have that are tasty. I would love a chocolate milkshake. Instead, I've found some protein bars that are yummy that help.
  • It does suck. I can eat 2 eggs and a piece of cheese and my number is 180...I could eat the same thing the next day and it's 101. I've been put on medication 4 times a day....and while it's helped, I've noticed with every passing week the numbers are harder to control. My dr says it's probably not what I'm eating but my placenta. This is my third baby and first time having GD. All I want is a piece of cake but I know if I even SMELL it my glucose will go through the roof.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have GD too. It's about finding and keeping thing you can have that are tasty. I would love a chocolate milkshake. Instead, I've found some protein bars that are yummy that help.

This exactly, I also would suggest looking at recipes online to see if you can find something similar, but within the carb limitations.

Trust me I understand the fusstration with the limits because I have been craving chilli cheese fries, and alas it's just not in the cards. Potatoes always spike my sugar, so I'm currently on the hunt for something similar!

Hope this helps!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I can handle potatoes... and weirdly ice cream treats like drumsticks.... fruit or rice?  No dice!  Sometimes I just do it anyways and note it next to the high sugar... I am not perfect and not trying to be!  I had GD with my first, this time I have DM and I am already on insulin at 13 weeks... I found out I had GD at 20 weeks with my first and went on insulin immediately for that... when not preggers my diabetes is controlled with just diet and exercise...
  • Raising hand to agree that GD sucks!! I have been checking sugars and counting carbs for 13 weeks, and have 11weeks to go. Only plus for me is that at 29w I've gained almost no weight. Wondering when OB is going to become concerned about the lack of weight gain?
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • GD does suck! I was diagnosed at 27 weeks and I think I handled it surprisingly well. My Dr sent me to a two day class where I met with a nutritionist and nurse who specialize in GD. I was ready to do what I needed to for my little babe and so I started controlling my glucose levels through diet and exercise. But now I'm 32 weeks and finding that the same meals I've been eating since being diagnosed are now registering really high an hour after eating. I'm so frustrated! I was just told today that if my levels continue to be high over the next few days they are going to put me on meds. I'm not handling this news very well because I'm already having to take medication for my bipolar disorder and the severe anxiety that I couldn't control without meds during this pregnancy. I feel so guilty already and don't want to have to subject my baby to even more medication. 

Stupid gestational diabetes :/
  • I have type 1 diabetes since I was a baby myself. I wish it would go away after birth but it never will. I say keep your eye on the prize as it will all be over soon.
  • Yeah. Try having the real deal. I know it's tough but be grateful you will only have to deal with it for a few weeks, not a lifetime.