July 2015 Moms
Options

Would I be awful if I end up WANTING a c section?

I have horrible hemorrhoids and at least two if not three hernias (one of which is hiatal...pushes part of my stomach into my chest at times). I'm so scared my guts are going to end up in places they don't belong...or that I'm going to end up needing abdominal surgery...if I strain to push baby out. I've had a couple of abdominal surgeries in the past and while they did really suck, at least I pretty much know what to expect.

I've never had a c section...and I'm wondering if they're pain levels and recovery times are somewhat like every other abdominal surgery? If so, would it make me a terrible person to ASK for one? I've done the vaginal birth thing twice...it's not like I'd be missing out on the whole experience ;-)

Any helpful info/advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Re: Would I be awful if I end up WANTING a c section?

• Options
    No it wouldn't be terrible if you ask. Maybe you can ask them to allow the baby to descend down the birth canal naturally so that you don't end up pushing for hours. Once you reach 10cm they can sometimes just let you relax and let the baby move down to shorten the pushing phase. Talk to your OB, they will help you weigh the risks vs benefits of both options.
  • Options
    I don't think it makes you terrible at all. I know lots of people who opted to go that route. Baby's gotta get out somehow!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    beeishbeeish member
    Women who have csections are not horrible people. You do what you feel is right for you and little one. Talk it over with your doctor.
  • Options
    No, it doesn't make you terrible :) to be honest, I'm more afraid of having a vaginal delivery then a cesarean haha I am trying to go for a vaginal delivery, but if I end up having a cesarean then it's fine :) talk to your doctor about it. You know your body and I suggest preparing for both mentally and physically :D
  • Options
    Not at all. In the more rich areas of Brazil, it's actually the norm for mom's to choose c-sections over natural birth. Why? Because the culture. They just seem to prefer it over delivering vaginally. My source is from my aunt who is from Brazil.
  • Options
    beeish said:

Women who have csections are not horrible people. You do what you feel is right for you and little one. Talk it over with your doctor.

Oh no! Please don't think I meant women who have c sections are horrible...I know sometimes there's no choice. And I'm not saying that women who choose c section are horrible...I just see so much crap about how c sections are like a cheating way out...or that there's some reason it's better for baby to come out vaginally. I have no idea.
  • Options

No it wouldn't be terrible if you ask. Maybe you can ask them to allow the baby to descend down the birth canal naturally so that you don't end up pushing for hours. Once you reach 10cm they can sometimes just let you relax and let the baby move down to shorten the pushing phase. Talk to your OB, they will help you weigh the risks vs benefits of both options.

Yeah, dr said I can get an epidural and then wait to see if my body progresses thru most of labor on it's own with me only having to push a few times towards the end. But I'm still afraid of even a few pushes at the end and having these hemorrhoids and hernias...
  • Options
    corndogrobotcorndogrobot member
    edited June 2015
    If they do a c section, can they fix the hernia at the same time the sew you back up?
    Sorry if that's a Stupid question.
  • Options
    I also want a c-section, worried about recto-vaginal fistula and would prefer extensive abdominal recovery over the hemorrhoids getting worse or having pelvic organ prolapse or fecal incontinence. I have not yet found a Dr who will do an elective CS though. Going to a new dr next week at 35 wks but starting to give up hope...
  • Options
    No you would not be a horrible person for this! Now opting for a c section at 34 weeks just cause you don't want to go further in pregnancy, would be horrible.
    Have you talked to your doctor about this.. Seems if that was a risk, he/she wouldn't even do the vaginal birth.
    I had a level 4 tear with my first and my second doctor wouldn't let me deliver thru it because of the risk...
    I personally have never had surgery aside from one c section, but my mum recently had her gal bladder removed and a lot of it reminded me of a c section. She had to hold a pillow tight when she coughed (like c section) and walking was hard.. They did 3 one inch incisions so it's a bit different. If you had one 1 inch incision during abdominal surgery, it may be a little bit different because they make 6 inch ones down at your pelvis and you do feel like your falling apart. But seems to me that when you cut muscle it's going to be the same pain and same type of recovery as a c section... Hm. Go ahead and talk to your doctor about it. And don't feel guilty. I don't blame you one bit!
  • Options
    @zmombie This might be a stupid question but what is a level 4 tear? I'm a STM but I have never heard this term before. It sounds scary!
  • Options
    zmombiezmombie member
    edited June 2015

@zmombie This might be a stupid question but what is a level 4 tear? I'm a STM but I have never heard this term before. It sounds scary!

Lol.. Well, it is one hole basically. The doctor was stitching me up and explaining to the nurse what he was doing and said "I'm now putting the capsul back" well.. I never heard of anything called a capsule in your vagina.. So I asked and he simply replies "your rectum"

So I tore thru my perineum, and my sphincter. I had 37 stitches (inside and out.. All together, not 37 in and 37 out)

And not a stupid question. I had never heard of it before either.
  • Options
    jjames2014jjames2014 member
    edited June 2015
    I'm having an elective c-section because I had an asthma attack during pushing, I hemmoraged and then he came out blue and not breathing and went to the NICU. It was awful! So I am having one and don't feel guilty about a thing-you do what's best for you and baby!
  • Options
    Oh good Lord! Bless your heart, vagina and rectum. Ouch!!!!! More power to you!
  • Options

If they do a c section, can they fix the hernia at the same time the sew you back up?
    Sorry if that's a Stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all...but I don't really have an answer. The hiatal hernia won't be fixed because my insurance won't cover it...otherwise I would've had it fixed before trying to get preg. The other one (or two, I'm not entirely sure), I can ask...
  • Options
    I don't think any method of birth should ever be up for debate by anyone other than yourself and your doc. Its about baby and mommy. As long as both are safe why is there ever a debate on whats wrong and whats right? Just be supportive and positive and know whatever you do you are doing for a purpose. Its not like elective surgery where you have the upmost choice, its nature. Things happen. You must adjust and think of baby and yourself. We are all on a strange and wonderful journey and getting there is different for everyone!
  • Options
    Fact: I had a harder recovery from having my gall bladder removed than from my c section.

Bring it up with your doctor and come up with a plan together. You'll feel so much better.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say so. I've had and am still having so many problems with my pregnancy that I have decided to have a c section. I'm type one diabetic, I have high blood pressure (which I think is turning into precalmpsia and am actually going to talk to my doctor tomorrow), & a minor placenta abruption. I'm almost 35 weeks but I'm telling you I'm so done :( I'd rather have her out than in where no one truly knows what's going on. But I only have two more weeks because I'm having a planned c section at 37 weeks with all of these problems. Overall I feel that it's your Descision and what you want for you and your baby.
  • Options
    I'm getting a c section the for the 2nd time! I had a choice but my first c section was a cake walk my scar healed fast and I didn't need any pain meds. I am to scared to deliver v back! It doesn't make you horrible it's whatever feels right at the time!