November 2015 Moms
Options

Any of you dealt with child support, is it worth the hassle of court? Or should I trust his wor

oliveoil95oliveoil95 member
edited June 2015 in November 2015 Moms
I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm 15 weeks along and I'm just trying to get everything figured out and have even a couple weeks of little stress during my pregnancy.

The baby's dad likes to deny its his because we aren't together. He's demanding a paternity test be done. Which I do understand. But I also think he's just trying to stall and give himself more time. He told me I need to pay for the testing because I want the more expensive one done. I want the "Non invasive prenatal testing," done. I found a cheaper lab to do it for only a 1000. I feel like I have to get it done now because he plans on moving to another state before the birth. He's being so difficult now, how will he be when he's with his friends living another state?!?

He's begging me not to bring him to court and he promises to pay for child support if it's his. I keep telling him we need to talk and work something out for an agreement. I've been trying to work with him if he doesn't want court. For the past 6 weeks every single week I contact him and tell him we should talk this through if he doesn't want court as an option.

We always text for a little about talking then he promises to call me the next day so we can talk. Then the next day comes and I wait and wait and wait for his call to not get one every single week. Then I tell myself everytime he must of been busy so I wait till the next day to text him and tell him we didn't talk. Then he ignores me. Then I try again in another couple days.

He's literally breaking my heart. I've given him so many chances to talk to me. He gets really mad at me when I tell him I've talked to a lawyer. Which I have,just to see what could happen if I did go to court. Every single week he gives me hope that we could work this out and have an agreement. He makes me believe I'll have a couple of weeks of less stress. Then I get blown off. I'm sick of crying myself to sleep everynight.

One time I even had a paternity test lined up for us, and I put a deposit on it. I told the DNA lab that I had to ask the dad if he wanted to do it . So I texted him and told him I need a yes or no answer about getting this test done or I lose my whole deposit. In a matter of 18 hours he couldn't take 10 seconds to text me back yes or no to a paternity test he demanded. I lost my whole $200 deposit. He's never apologized for that.

How am I suppose to trust with him being in another state that he will pay me child support without a court order?

Re: Any of you dealt with child support, is it worth the hassle of court? Or should I trust his wor

• Options
    Court. It's the only way of knowing for sure. You will have the help to track him down if he moves out if state. Good luck and I hope he stops being a jerk about the whole thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Court. This way he can't use it to control you. If you go through court, they can just garnish his wages.
  • Options
    I would definitely let the courts handle it.
  • Options
    I would go through the courts. He doesn't seem to follow through and you'll appreciate the back up of the courts in the long run.
  • Options
    Go through court. Get it all in writing. Even with the most trustworthy person I would want it all spelled out. And he doesn't sound very trustworthy...
  • Options
    Definitely echo what PP's say. This should be the last thing stressing you out right now. He's already being such a disappointment to you and your unborn child. Let the professionals worry for you so you can rest!
  • Options
    I guess you guys are right, I have to go through court. I've told him before I don't think he's trustworthy and he literally says everytime "what have I ever done to be untrustworthy?"

He's just stalling because he wants more time to be his age. He already told his mom I'm pregnant and he doesn't want a paternity test so soon because if his mom finds out the baby is his she's going to force him to help. Then his dad will find out I'm pregnant and he won't have a choice anymore on staying or going. He just wants to party and I took that from him. So he ignores me.

I have my 15 week doctors appointment tomorrow morning and if everything's okay with a baby and they find a heartbeat I will contact him at night and tell him I'm bringing him to court. I'm going to suggest to him he doesn't leave before the child support court date and then the custody court case. He's not going to be able to afford to buy so many plane tickets.

But sometimes I wonder if courts even worth it because New York State child support laws are weird. He's considered poverty level I'm sure, he's only 19 and has a regular job. I may only end up getting $25 a month from by the end of this.
  • Options

I guess you guys are right, I have to go through court. I've told him before I don't think he's trustworthy and he literally says everytime "what have I ever done to be untrustworthy?"

He's just stalling because he wants more time to be his age. He already told his mom I'm pregnant and he doesn't want a paternity test so soon because if his mom finds out the baby is his she's going to force him to help. Then his dad will find out I'm pregnant and he won't have a choice anymore on staying or going. He just wants to party and I took that from him. So he ignores me.

I have my 15 week doctors appointment tomorrow morning and if everything's okay with a baby and they find a heartbeat I will contact him at night and tell him I'm bringing him to court. I'm going to suggest to him he doesn't leave before the child support court date and then the custody court case. He's not going to be able to afford to buy so many plane tickets.

But sometimes I wonder if courts even worth it because New York State child support laws are weird. He's considered poverty level I'm sure, he's only 19 and has a regular job. I may only end up getting $25 a month from by the end of this.

It sounds like the paternity test will be great clarity for his parents more than anything. Even if the courts order so little a month maybe his parents will be able to help out, even if it's just with logistics like watching the baby while you work. It takes a village to raise a baby so you'll need people in your corner! Definitely worth the trouble if you can gain 2 sets of helping hands.
  • Options
    Every state is different, but even in GA they impute any adult who does not qualify for disability with the ability to get a 40hr a week job at minimum wage. They then add in the other parent's wages and assume the child needs 1/4 of the parent's combined income for support. They figure out the percentage of income each parent contributes and the non-custodial parent pays their portion based on that figure. I have friends in NY who pay child support and the laws there are not skimpy when it comes to support. Who has been giving you the $25/mo figure?
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    Ok, I don't know a whole lot about the system for child support, as other posters do (who are giving you awesome advice btw).
    That being said, even if you would only be getting 25$ a month right now, you have to be thinking long term. Child support lasts 18years, right? So the amount you'd get would change through the years based on his salary, right? So that number could end up fluctuating a LOT between now and then. You don't want to not ask for child support just because you don't think you'd get much.
  • Options

Even if his income is low now, that doesn't mean it will be forever. He could eventually get his life together and get a good job.
  • Options
    I would definitely go with the other ladies on this and go to court. It's for the protection of your unborn child. It's important you do the right thing for your baby and not for him. From the sound of your post- it doesn't seem like he is going to commit without court documents. Sorry your dealing with this tough decision.
  • Options
    @vexymommy when I read over the child support documents for New York State I saw that if someone's income is at poverty level than I'm awarded $25 a month in support.

I hope I can atleast get it so he pays the medical bills and helps me pay for child care. Or else he's literally getting out of this while I'm suffering.
  • Options

If he moves away before all the court appearances are done with, that's his problem to figure out, not yours.  He can fly in, send his own lawyer, possibly send his parents, or just be AWOL and forfeit any opportunity to argue his side.  If he's a big enough grown-up to get a girl pregnant, he's a big enough grown-up to figure out his own legal problems.

(sorry if I sound harsh, my Hubs has done some family/custody cases and I have NO sympathy for dudes who pull this crap.)

• Options
    Definitely go through your child support agency. When I was going through my divorce, my ex agreed to send X amount monthly. At that time, it was not court ordered yet. Many times he failed to pay on time or pay the amount promised. Once the state ordered child support came through, he could not stop the payments. Also, get a custody order in place. If he's as immature as you've stated, you'll want sole custody. I saw a PP say that drugs have been mentioned. I also dealt with that after my ex & I split. It's NOT something you want to deal with. If it's a shared parenting, an older child will get overnight stays. Do you want your child having an overnight with the father who might be high? You will want that power to override a potentially scary circumstance. Remember, custody orders are placed to fall back on when parents can't agree on terms. Of he's behaving and it's evident, you can choose to arrange more visitation. But the order is there to be enforced when you can't agree or don't feel safe about the situation. Keep an open relationship with his parents if they want it. That could be a huge blessing to you, even if the baby's father lives away or isn't helpful.
    Thankfully in our situation the biological father stopped all communication with us, 2 years ago. My husband is in the process of adopting DD1. We're much happier because we don't stress over his actions or how they will affect DD1
  • Options
    Honestly $25 is better then nothing at all.. I know it will be nothing when the Baby gets here however it can at least get you formula if you're not breast feeding and if you are breast feeding then it can get you some clothes for the baby and a few other small things that the baby will need. Such a small pack of diapers.. Let the courts handle everything and if he doesn't pay then talk to your lawyer... I know once it gets to a certain amount that they will arrest him if he doesn't pay but I don't know the limit but I know it varies from state to state..
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else you need to go to court. Your ex is being flaky and you didn't make this baby alone.
  • Options

You've given him the opportunity to sort this out amicably between just the two of you and he clearly isn't interested.

As the other ladies have said, you need to let the court sort this out for you. Even if it's only $25 a month, that still adds up to $4,800 if he pay support up to the child is 16.

• Options
    I actually just read the laws more thoroughly and I guess child support for one kid is 17% of his income. And then in addition he also has to half help me pay for child care and the medical bills.

I never wanted to do this to him. I thought he was my friend. He's been ordering me around the whole time since I told him I'm pregnant and I'm sick of it. He's told me I put this predicament on my life because I chose to keep the baby. I just can't give my baby up because he doesn't want it. He shouldn't of gotten me pregnant then. He doesn't understand that abortion Isnt up to him. If he doesn't want to be a dad then he shouldn't have sex at all. When a guy has sex with anyone that's there way of saying they're ready to be a dad.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm really scared to go. I heard the heartbeat 2 weeks ago at 13 weeks 4 days. But I'm afraid she's going to check for a heartbeat and there won't be one to find because I had a missed miscarriage or something from all the stress. I've ended up in the hospital before became of stress. I hope this doesn't effect my baby's life too. :(

If the baby's okay I'm going to try to talk him one more time and im going to tell him about court. If he doesn't talk he's going to find out everything as it happens. I've done all I can do.
  • Options
    I would go to support services and have the paperwork and know what information you need before talking to him about it again.  This is going to sound harsh, but it is truly coming from a place of caring and concern.  He will not change.  There is nothing you can do to make him care about you or this child.  The only things you can control are your actions so you should put them to the best possible use.  Let the court sort it out and stop beating your head against a brick wall.  It doesn't move the wall and it hurts you terribly. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the laws in New York but here in Texas if you wait until the baby is here and you have a paternity test through the court & you presume he is the father and he denies, the court will pay to have the test done and he will have to pay the court back for the test if he is the father.
    When he told you "what have I done to make you think I'm untrustworthy" ummm... Sounds like a lot of things to me. Laying down and making a baby but flaking out when shit gets real is pretty untrustworthy. You're going to have to go through the courts with him. Stop worrying about what he says and if he will be mad at you etc. All you need to worry about is you and your baby. He doesn't care about you, so don't care about what he wants either and just do what you have to do for your baby.
  • Options
    You already know the answer to this. He's not trustworthy now. Why would he suddenly change when the baby comes?
     image image
    10/10/2010
    TTC Since May 2011
    DX: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    BFP #1: 11/21/2011. EDD: 8/4/2012. Missed M/C & D&C at 11w6d: 1/20/2012.
    BFP #2: 5/24/2012. EDD: 2/2/2013. Natural M/C at 6w0d: 6/9/2012.
    BFP #3: 12/6/2012. EDD: 8/19/2013. Missed M/C at 9w0d: 1/14/2013.
    BFP #4: 4/20/2013. EDD: 1/1/2014. Born at 36w3d: 12/7/2013
    BFP #5: 3/25/2015: EDD: 12/8/2015.
    Lilypie - (IDGc)
  • Options
    Court!
    Just from what I knew my mom went through with my dad, she trusted his word and he delivered for a little while but do you really want to assume he will always keep his word? Even when the guy has a new girl and has more kids? No. Go to court and get all the terms put in legal writing and if he ever decides to not own up and take off it isn't on you anymore. Don't risk it. He may surprise you and follow the terms to a tee but don't bank on it for the kid's whole life.
  • Options
    It's so sad that so many guys do this. I just don't understand how you can create something like a human and leave. The baby's your flesh and blood!

The whole paternity test thing makes me so mad. My due date is November 29th. So the day of conception was March 8. I had sex with him and he finished inside of me on March 8th. He's the only person to ever do that to me. The first day of ovulation for me to was March 8th. That's too many coincidences and he won't accept it.
  • Options
    It's so sad that so many guys do this. I just don't understand how you can create something like a human and leave. The baby's your flesh and blood! The whole paternity test thing makes me so mad. My due date is November 29th. So the day of conception was March 8. I had sex with him and he finished inside of me on March 8th. He's the only person to ever do that to me. The first day of ovulation for me to was March 8th. That's too many coincidences and he won't accept it.
    He may or may not actually accept it, but he's going to keep giving you the run around regardless. 
  • Options
    AshenSkyAshenSky member
    edited June 2015
    I have to agree with every pp. I had court ordered child support with my ex husband while we were separated. They were taking a percentage of each check and sending it to me. He had begged and pleaded for me to stop court support and trust him. He wasn't making much money and wanted to pay less. Which, at the time, I felt bad and so I did... Stupid mistake. He didn't pay a dime. When I finalized out divorce I re-instated child support. He now has to pay me 320 a month plus 50 for insurance. If he can't pay that amount each month, then it gets tacked onto the next month and so on. If he has not caught up with it by the time she is 18, he still has to pay. Right now, he is 12 grand behind. Even though the support is court ordered, he still doesn't pay most of the time. But, at least this way he will always be held responsible for it. If he doesn't pay they can take him to jail if o want, clearly that won't solve anything. In the end it will help my DD in the future with college. Which makes it worth all the trouble now.
    There are quite a few red flags about his ability to be trustworthy. Especially the drugs and the statement about "if his mom finds out it is his she will make him help out". So, clearly he doesn't want to be forced to help out, and probably won't if he isn't.
    Even if it is only $25 now, it can be changed in the future. You said he has a "regular job" but, do you know for a fact that it is less than or equal to poverty wages? Maybe I skipped over that part.
    Whether he wants to be involved in the child's life, or not, isn't the point. If you want help financially, go through the court. Otherwise be ready and okay with him disappearing.
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited June 2015
    I have very mixed feeling about child support.  My husband and his ex had a verbal agreement in the beginning, but because we fell on hard times and almost lost our home a few years back, she filed for support because he couldn't help her out during that time.  She works full-time at a decent job and is recently married (meaning that our household incomes are likely very similar), but because she keeps SS during the week and my husband makes more money than she does, the payments are really high despite the fact that we also provide him food, clothes, his own room, furniture, etc. for his weekly stays with us...  On top of the support payments she receives, she claims SS on her taxes as the custodial parent (this would be fine by me, aside from the fact that she is sometimes flaky about sharing the return, instead using it to splurge on herself).  It's frustrating to me that my husband pays to support her comfortable lifestyle while we live paycheck to paycheck and struggle to put money away.  In your situation, though, it sounds like something you should pursue.  The father does not seem like he has any intent to keep his word on helping you out or being actively involved in the child's life, which is exactly what the system is for.
  • Options
    Ohh my, I'm so sorry he is doing this to you! He is taking advantage of your kindness in a serious way unfortunately. He has proved time and time again that he is unreliable and that he can't be trusted. If he was as trustworthy as he claims to be, he would have called you when he said he was going to and wouldn't continue to leave you hanging. It really seems like he is doing everything he can think of to get out of paying, and maybe he doesn't realize it because he doesn't seem to think things through all the way, but he will be trying to run for 18 years. Since he clearly isn't going to man up, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told my friend when her daughter's biological father stopped making child support payments even though it's court ordered... take him to court! Get it in writing. Make sure they know what's going on (in her case that he wasn't making payments anymore) and don't let him make you feel bad. My friend told me her daughter's father was playing the poor me because he bought a house, has vehicle payments, etc... not her fault, just like it's not your fault if his plans change as a result of this. He needs to be a big boy and deal with the consequences of his actions. No matter what you get each month, even the smallest bit will help, and as a PP said, the amount he has to pay you will change over time. Babies are expensive, and if you can do it on your own, or can down the road, you can always put the money you get from him in a savings account for when your child goes to college.

On another note, try to keep calm about your appointment tomorrow. When I miscarried a few months ago, I asked if stress could have induced it, and the doctor said no. The baby can sense it, and it can affect them to an extent, but like that doctor said, it doesn't cause miscarriage.
  • Options
    Didn't read any replies, but echoing those who said get the court order.

Get it. It's worth it.
  • Options
    ajmcarrollajmcarroll member
    edited June 2015
    I'm a paralegal for child support but I cannot give legal advice. I would add though talk to an attorney (they are definitely worth it and very knowledgeable). Your local bar association can recommend one. Also check with your local child support office after baby is born to start paperwork and DNA testing.
    Check into your state for child support laws. Many have online calculators that if you input yours and his info you'll get a better estimate.
  • Options
    It's a full house on bringing him to court I guess lol. I'm not going to lie it hurts me so much to do this because I know I'm hurting him and his future. But I have to think of my baby! I feel so much pain. I love him so much. I lost my virginty to this guy and I'm even having his baby now.I'm so upset all of this happened.

I just texted him and he could tell I was upset with him so he responded. His excuse for never responding to me is that he's "constantly busy" and I always text him when's he "driving." So apparently he just can't find the time to respond. All he wants to work out with me is a paternity test he says. Then if he knows the baby's his for sure he will help out. That part I do believe somewhat. But I don't feel it's right for me to have to pay for a paternity test he's demanding
  • Options
    Noey80Noey80 member
    I'm not sure if someone else said this...but go through ORS. They can garnish his wages without you ever dealing with him.
  • Options
    Girl....ALWAYS go the official route when it comes to child support. It protects you both. Its not being a dick or anything - just saving you a  LOT of hassle down the road. 

Long story short - i trusted my ex...and for YEARS money was a constant bone of contention between us. We lasted for six months after my daughter was born and then he was basically around whenever it was convenient for him (additctions issues)

So, I never pressed for the family responsibility office to register support but I should have. Ten years later and I still have to talk to him whether I want to or not. When he is doing good (aka not abusing drugs) he is Santa Claus to my girl and wants to give us money all the time yet when he's using again we are the last thing on his mind. 

Do yourself (your baby and your ex-partner) a favour and go through the official channels from the get-go because to officiate it later on down the line is a huge huge hassle.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didnt have to go to court, but my sons dad joined the military when he was born and then denied that he had a kid.  I went through my county and had the DNA test done.  Things went smoothly after that.  The only reason I wish I hadnt done it, is that he is such can asshole and never calls, writes, or see's my boy.  Maybe once a year, but he does it in a sneaky way.  My husband wants to adopt my son, but we are sure his bio dad will block it just to be a jerk.
  • Options
    Go to court. It's your best bet. Also when I took my ex to court for child support he wanted a paternity test done and the courts said he would have to pay for it 100% so he changed his mind and just pays the child support. Also every 2 years there is an automatic cost of living increase done. I'm not sure what the laws are in your state but he thought the courts would make me pay for it and that obviously didn't work in his favor.
  • Options
    VexyMommy said:

Every state is different, but even in GA they impute any adult who does not qualify for disability with the ability to get a 40hr a week job at minimum wage. They then add in the other parent's wages and assume the child needs 1/4 of the parent's combined income for support. They figure out the percentage of income each parent contributes and the non-custodial parent pays their portion based on that figure. I have friends in NY who pay child support and the laws there are not skimpy when it comes to support. Who has been giving you the $25/mo figure?

Sounds like I need to move to GA..
    We have a blended family. My son's sperm donor (my husband is his dad) is literally, no joke, $15,000 behind in CS & IA will do nothing. My son is 6. I can screenshot it for the non believers. He has 4 kids by 4 women so I can't imagine what the other balances are. He hasn't spent more than 1 night in jail over this. He took me back through child support recovery to get his CS lowered around Christmas time last year & they dropped it to the state minimum ($30 per month). State minimum just got raised, it was $10. Yes, $10. He works part time at Pizza Hut now (before it was under the table for YEARS & watching his girlfriend's kid so she could work all while collecting state benefits) & they can't even garnish the full $30 per month because he doesn't work enough. No joke, I promise. I get $7 every 2 weeks. What does this $14 buy my son you ask? Not a damn thing. $14 doesn't even cover a fraction of his extra curricular (no, not actual expenses.. doesn't even cover a fraction of extra stuff he wants to do).. So yea, Iowa is a joke.. I finally gave up calling CS office because it's pointless. They just take his license he doesn't have anyways.. My daughter's father is another cup of wonderful I don't have the patience to discuss..

No worries, my son doesn't go without. & eventually I learned to make better choices in men..
    Rant over......
  • Options
    But on another note, going through child support recovery (not sure what it's called in your state) would be my recommendation. They handle everything for you. Even if he doesn't pay the balance accrues. So eventually when he grows up he will be held accountable for the years he was being a d-bag.
    Even if you get $25 a month which is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things, he needs to be held responsible for something. It's about the principle, if nothing else..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"