November 2015 Moms
Options

Problems with SO during wedding season?

We went to our first wedding of the summer today, and while I normally don't get out of control drunk, I like to have a couple drinks and do some dancing! Since that is clearly out of the question this year, I had a pretty difficult time watching my husband down 5 beers and a shot within two hours (before 5...). Once he realized I was getting upset he stopped drinking but then after dinner "suggested" that I go home because I was ruining his fun. How are we going to get through the rest of this summer's weddings with this kind of start?!

Re: Problems with SO during wedding season?

• Options
    I could have written this myself. We just got home from a wedding and my husband was an effing idiot about drinking.

Let me preface this by saying that I've had the pleasure of being pregnant at 7 weddings over the last 2 years and we have another one in July....

I've been talking to him about this for a month. I wanted to enjoy myself tonight, we got a sitter for our 1 year old and were suppose to have a date night. He totally ignored me and drank his face off until I finally got him to the vehicle. He immediately passed out and I left him in the garage once we got home. I did hear him come in and crash on the couch but the whole evening was an argument about him overdoing it and I kept catching him sneak drinks. He's going to the next one either alone or as the driver and not having 1 sip.
    It's not the first time that he's done this either and he knows how I feel about him getting drunk because he's not a fun drunk. He's sloppy drunk. He spills drinks on people and falls over and crap so yea, I'm done babysitting him.
    Sorry, I ranted a bit there lol
    YCSWU
  • Options
    Maybe it's because my SO is a sober drunk (for the most part), but I don't really get mad about this. If there was a reason he couldn't drink and I could, yet he was being a dick about me having fun... That would be very frustrating.
    I totally get being a little jealous, or irritated if he is being annoying. But, why can't he have fun? Being bitter and allowing yourself to have a bad time doesn't sound to great either. I've realized there are worse things that could happen and bigger fights that are possible. Ignore him, let him have his fun and try to enjoy yourself.
    The only person you can control is you. So why not breathe, let it go, and be happy.

If he is that bad when he is drunk, maybe talk to him about it while he is sober. In a non-attacking way.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I should preface with saying that my ex husband was the most annoying drunk ever. I had to learn to walk away from him and have fun with other people. He is an adult, if he wants to make a fool out of himself. Go ahead! I got tired of babysitting.
  • Options
    I have 3 weddings this summer, 2 wine tasting events, and a cocktail party. I am taking a different approach because my husband is always the first to offer to be the DD. I am repaying him for all of the past times that I've kept drinking and he's stopped. I wouldn't appreciate if he was binge drinking or making a fool out of himself, but I'm happy for him to have some fun.