April 2015 Moms
Options

Bottle for Breastfed Baby - Help Needed

I am a FTM of a 6 week old. I'm breastfeeding, but have given a bottle a handful of times. Currently I'm using the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature, but my baby seems to eat from it very fast (dispite pace feeding) and it seems to be giving her gas. Any advice/suggestions?

Re: Bottle for Breastfed Baby - Help Needed

• Options
    I primarily breastfeed also, and have had problems with my LO drinking too fast and choking. We've found that the Dr. Browns bottles with preemie nipples work best for us. They were the slowest flow we could find. I think the air flow design in the Dr Browns bottles are supposed to help with gas/spit up too, but I haven't really paid attention to that factor. Good luck!
  • Options
    I am breastfeeding as well but have tried a bottle a handful of times. My little guy is 4 weeks old and he hated the Calma nipple from Medela but he drinks from the Avent Natural bottles.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've found the Munchkin Latch bottles have a slow enough flow for my BF baby. All other ones she chokes from guzzling too fast. You can find them at Target. They also have a valve at the bottom to help prevent gas.
  • Options
    I primarily BF and give a bottle from time to time and had the same problem! Even the Medela bottle with the stage 1 nipple was too fast. I finally settled on the First Years Breast Flow bottle and we love it! It has an inner and putter nipple which mimics the way the breast works and slows down the flow of milk. It's a pain to clean but so worth it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Same problem here- we got the size zero nipple for the avent.. If we give her a size 1 she chokes... 4 weeks old too
  • Options
    My friend said she has to use Dr. Brown. My pediatrician even suggested we get a preemie nipple for our 2 month old, because the slow flow nipple from medela is too fast. I've read Dr. Brown's is the best nipple for s slower flow.
  • Options
    niespniesp member
    We use the avent natural as well.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! Headed to the store this morning ☺️
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My son will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Commotomo slow flow 0-3 months is good! He liked it (fell asleep after eating with my husband for the first time). He also has little issues with the premie flow nipple from avent (the size 1 nipple made him choke).
  • Options
    This is a great thread we have been trying the Medela with 2 types of nipples and she guzzles it and gets so gassy! Will try the Dr Browns with the preemie nipple
  • Options
    Dr. Brown also makes an "Ultra-preemie" nipple that's even slower. It's hard to find though, we were given some by the LC. You might be able to find them online somewhere too.
  • Options
    I use Tommie tippie too! Same issues as you in the beginning but she worked through it and is doing great now
  • Options
    We love the lansinoh momma bottles. They work great for our baby.
    If you look for them at bru they're with the bfing supplies and not the bottles!
  • Options
    How did you get your Baby to take a bottle? My daughter is 7 weeks and is not a fan of bottles. All she does is bite it and sort of suck it. I have 6 different bottles I have tried.
  • Options
    I use muchkin Latch bottles, my baby has used them since 1 week old. He is a month old today and has no problems switching between that bottle and breast. ;)
  • Options
    niespniesp member

Dr. Brown also makes an "Ultra-preemie" nipple that's even slower. It's hard to find though, we were given some by the LC. You might be able to find them online somewhere too.

I saw these at babies r us today!
  • Options
    I like the munchkin latch bottles too just be careful over time the valve at the bottom of the bottle will stick and won't ventilate causing the nipple to collapse inwards on itself. Surprisingly I got my son to like the evenflo angled bottles they look like the playtex ventair bottles and he does awesome with those!. 
  • Options
    My lactation consultant has me using playtex nurser slow flow
  • Options
    kburch09 said:

How did you get your Baby to take a bottle? My daughter is 7 weeks and is not a fan of bottles. All she does is bite it and sort of suck it. I have 6 different bottles I have tried.

Did she ever take a soother? We started my girl on a soother and then to get her to the bottle we would first get her sucking on the soother and then switch her to the bottle while she still had that motion going
  • Options
    She is not a big fan of the soother. She will take it a little bit. Should I just keep giving her the soothies so she will get use to that in her mouth?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Our baby is a little older (9weeks yesterday) but for those early bottles I second the Dr. Brown with the premie nipples. Now that she's a little bigger, Dr. Brown's with the size 1 nipples are perfect. They also have a new "anti-colic" bottle that has green inserts instead of the blue ones. I really like them and have noticed less gas than the blue ones we also have. We tried the Medela Calma nipple but in addition to it being stupid expensive (like $18 a nipple at Babies R Us), it seemed to make our little one work even harder for milk than breastfeeding and she would just get frustrated.
    BabyFruit Ticker