Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Ergo vs. BabyBjorn

I am looking into baby carriers and have been reading up about both the Ergo and BabyBjorn, any recommendations or experience with one (or any other brands to recommend)?  I am looking for one that I can start using with an infant and get the most use out of until a toddler?

Thanks!

Re: Ergo vs. BabyBjorn

• Options
    i would actually recommend a beco, either the butterfly or gemini. the bjorn isn't ergonomically correct for your baby and starts to hurt your back as they get older. i've heard good things about the ergo but i don't have firsthand experience. i own a butterfly 2 and absolutely love it, especially how easy it is to get him on my back. the gemini allows for forward facing (which the butterfly & ergo do not), but i found that his forward facing phase was only about a month or so.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    No contest, get an ergo. I also have a beco butterfly but I prefer my ergo right now because LO seems to have more support in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    are you using the Ergo for your 11 week old?  you feel the Ergo provides enough support for infant of that age? 
  • Options
    We were planning to get the Ergo for sure.  But Stokke has a new one that we fell in love with when we registered.  We liked so much about it (DH and I will both wear it).  The look, the lightweight material, and the fact that we don't need to adjust anything in the back -- it's all in front.  Uncomplicated is important to us.  So we registered for the Stokke, even though it won't even be available in stores for another month.  Our shower isn't until the end of April!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

We have the Ergo and love it. I used it all the time from newborn to about 13 months. The newborn insert that you can get with it gets very hot, so if you live in a hot climate, you might want something else for the newborn stage. 

The Bjorn suspends your baby from your upper back and causes some serious back pain for a lot of people. The Ergo distributes the baby's weight really well.

I also considered the Beco carriers, which look pretty awesome, but there was nowhere to try one on where I live. We got the Ergo because we were able to try it out at Buybuybaby. Dh and I both used it A LOT. My child preferred to be carried and I even went for daily walks (about 3 miles) wearing my child and had no issues or discomfort. 

• Options
    There really is no comparison here.  The Bjorn SUCKS and the Ergo ROCKS.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    imageHeyJune:

The Bjorn suspends your baby from your upper back and causes some serious back pain for a lot of people. The Ergo distributes the baby's weight really well.

That's right.  A lot of people get shoulder pain from the Bjorn.  That's why if given the choice between only those two, I would choose the Ergo.

• Options
    imageHeyJune:

That's right.  A lot of people get shoulder pain from the Bjorn.  That's why if given the choice between only those two, I would choose the Ergo.

• Options
    Definitely avoid the Baby Bjorn carriers like PPs said.  I love my Ergo Sport but you need the infant insert if you want to use it right away.  I started with a Moby wrap and then switched to the Ergo around 5 months.  I still use it a lot with my 20 month old, 26 lb. DS and I could comfortably carry him all day.  Beco and Boba are great options too and both have carriers that can be used from birth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options

Not only is the Bjorn bad for you, it is bad for you.  It's called a crotch dangler for a reason!

We used the Ergo Sport w/ infant insert from the time DD was 3 days old...until she was 4 or 5 months old.  DD is almost 18 months, and I still used the Ergo some today.  

The Ergo will NOT disappoint.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagedah424:
    are you using the Ergo for your 11 week old?  you feel the Ergo provides enough support for infant of that age? 

Yep, but he's a big boy and quite strong. He's 16 pounds so we don't use the insert.  

• Options
    imageCrazyToast:

Not only is the Bjorn bad for you, it is bad for you.  It's called a crotch dangler for a reason!.

Technically, they're all crotch danglers if you wear the baby facing forward.  The Bjorn is not unique in this way.  It's recommended that babies not be worn facing forward in any of these carriers.

• Options
    imageCrazyToast:

Not only is the Bjorn bad for you, it is bad for you.  It's called a crotch dangler for a reason!.

Technically, they're all crotch danglers if you wear the baby facing forward.  The Bjorn is not unique in this way.  It's recommended that babies not be worn facing forward in any of these carriers.

• Options
    Well, I tried to delete my duplicate post, but The Bump wouldn't let me.  WUWT?
  • Options

imageLittleApple:
    There really is no comparison here.  The Bjorn SUCKS and the Ergo ROCKS.

Exactly! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetheboki:
    imageCrazyToast:

How is the bjorn not a crotch danger when the baby is facing the parent? The Ergo doesn't face forward anyway. I don't get your point.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetheboki:
    imageCrazyToast:

You do NOT wear a baby facing forward in the Ergo.

• Options
    imageshootingstars00:
    imagetheboki:
    imageCrazyToast:

How is the bjorn not a crotch danger when the baby is facing the parent? The Ergo doesn't face forward anyway. I don't get your point.

Thank you - I should have read down.  I didn't get the point, either.

• Options
    I registered for the Ergo, but my sister found the Bjorn Air on clearance for $30, so I will have it for when LO is little.  I tried it on and it fits good, so we will see when LO gets here.
    Visit The Nest
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Ergo, its better for LO's hips, the bjorn is bad for hip dovelopment. If you're not set on one r the other consider a Mei Tai, no adjustment neededcwhen switching from you to DH and IMHO easier to get on (I can't get the clip in the back done up when i wear DH's Ergo)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"