July 2015 Moms
Options

Thoughts on birth: Pitocin, Epidural, c-section, Home birth?

Obgyn vs. Midwife
Hospital vs Homebirth
What are your thoughts and plans on Pitocin induction, epidurals, homebirths, water births and or c-sections???

I have a month left and things are starting to get real for me. Reality is starting to set in....

How do you feel?

Re: Thoughts on birth: Pitocin, Epidural, c-section, Home birth?

• Options
    FTM. Im sticking with my Ob, the hospital, and not planning on having an epidural. Praying I don't need a c-section either. Will be talking to my Ob about this at my next appointment on Tuesday, as I do want to be prepared in case I need something I don't want.
  • Options
    I'm giving birth at the hospital with an epidural. As for csection or vaginal delivery, we are going to try for vaginal but the doctor said I might have to do a csection. So we shall see
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm delivering with a midwife. Hospital birth however if my insurance would cover it I would choose a birthing center. I'm planning on skipping the epidural and limiting interventions. I'm hoping to labor at home as long as possible in hopes of reducing c-section risks. My first delivery a lot of unnecessary interventions were pushed on me.
  • Options
    aerod19aerod19 member
    edited May 2015
    My sister had pitocin with her labor and it sped it up so quickly that she didn't even have time for an epidural, which is what she wanted. Perhaps she didn't communicate it well enough ahead of time that she did in fact want the epidural though. I'm still on the fence - not opposed to it but since I have no idea what labor feels like I want to see how well I can tolerate the pain before I make a decision on the epidural. Hoping to labor at home as much as possible first!
  • Options
    This time around I have a midwife and will be doing a hydro birth at a hospital (so just laboring in the water and getting out to push, to reduce the chance of infections) - I plan to do everything as naturally as possible, I don't want to be hooked up to any machines or iv's (we will see if my body allows for my plan to stick!)
  • Options
    Failed natural birth at birthing center last time..hospital transfer.

It sucked. Went with an OB and hospital this time....sI'd like to hold out for an epidural butf if its as bad as last time... I want the epidural as soon as I walk in!
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    With my first I was induced with pitocin and had an epidural. It went so fast my doc would like me to do it that way again this time, and I have no problem with that! There were a few hiccups along the way last time, but nothing awful and I had a great experience, as those things go :)
  • Options
    erinnlou said:

STM. I have both OB and Midwife at my office. I like the balance. Hospital birth over homebirth mainly because I live with other people and that's just awkward. But I'll be all natural, med free. Just in a hospital.

I'm pretty against pitocin and inductions unless they're medically necessary. Same with any other interventions.
    I think home births and water births are really amazing, and I wish I could have one (Although I do enjoy the help from nurses in the hospital after delivery, and the meals).

I'm pretty excited for it all right now :)

Yeah, I am pretty anti pitocin and unnatural inductions at this point because I feel like that is what starts the downward spiral...but I want a dr there just for the worst case scenario
  • Options

This time around I have a midwife and will be doing a hydro birth at a hospital (so just laboring in the water and getting out to push, to reduce the chance of infections) - I plan to do everything as naturally as possible, I don't want to be hooked up to any machines or iv's (we will see if my body allows for my plan to stick!)

This sounds excellent. Hydro birth at the hospital?? I didn't know you could do that? What hospital is this? Not in NYC I would assume?
  • Options

Failed natural birth at birthing center last time..hospital transfer.

It sucked. Went with an OB and hospital this time....sI'd like to hold out for an epidural butf if its as bad as last time... I want the epidural as soon as I walk in!

Did you go to the hospital and get an epidural or did they have to do a c-section? Were you in labor for a long time?
  • Options

Would love a homebirth but can't afford it, so we will once again be in the hospital with an OB. I will be doing everything in my power so I don't have to be induced or have an epidural, but this is my 3rd so I'm aware of that point and if I reach it well then an epi may happen. I will also avoiding a csection at all cost.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    FTM going with an OB at the hospital. I also plan to get an epidural. I'm not against the Pitocin if my doctor says it's necessary. Hoping to avoid a c section, but I don't want to be in labor for HOURS only to have a section anyway. Hopefully, I'll see what's going on at my 36 week appointment.
  • Options
    yani04yani04 member
    I'll be having the twins in a hospital because of the risks involved. Hopefully my breeched girl will turn like her sister so I can avoid a csection, but I will be having an epidural.
  • Options
    LeahaucLeahauc member
    Hospital with OB and epidural, although I don't plan on having it right away. I want to experience contractions and then get it. FTM, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of time. Not planning on pitocin/induction but if it's necessary, then it's necessary. Same with c section.
  • Options
    @corndogrobot lol!! Afraid not!!
  • Options
    This is like a game of labor and delivery clue! Love it!

I'm giving birth at the hospital via c section due to placenta previa. Not sure what week yet as baby is being monitored closely for slow growth, baby looks great but is small for gestational age. I'm scared to death of a c section and never imagined this would be out method of delivery however I'm willing to do whatever for our little nugget and so ready for him or her to be here already! I'm a FTM so any c section advise and relief of spinal fears is appreciated! Best wishes ladies!!
  • Options
    @Mommy1922, come be my doula! You are always so positive on here! :x
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm not trying to be judgy just truly curious...what are your reasons for no epidural? I'm an epidural mom all the way mostly because my thinking is why be in pain if I don't have to be. So I'm curious as to the reasons for no epidural. Again not judging just asking.

Oh, and I'm having a repeat csection. My first labor I picked a hospital,OB and an epidural. Ended up with a non-emergency csection after 30 hours of labor and "failure to progress".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Assuming that my baby decides to stay head down and we have no complications, I will be delivering at a free standing birth center with a nurse - midwife. I won't have the option for an epidural at the birth center. My goal is to at least labor in the tub for a while because water is very relaxing to me
  • Options

I'm not trying to be judgy just truly curious...what are your reasons for no epidural? I'm an epidural mom all the way mostly because my thinking is why be in pain if I don't have to be. So I'm curious as to the reasons for no epidural. Again not judging just asking.

Oh, and I'm having a repeat csection. My first labor I picked a hospital,OB and an epidural. Ended up with a non-emergency csection after 30 hours of labor and "failure to progress".

An epidural in some women can be part of that down ward spiral that several posters have referred to that can increase your risk of a c-section. Especially if you get the epidural too early it can slow down labor
  • Options
    I don't want an epidural because I want to feel the pain and everything that comes with it... Women did it for years/centuries without it and today some still do but it's nothing wrong with getting the epidural if needed, outcomee will all be the same (a precious baby) no matter how that baby was delivered.
  • Options
    stintzijdstintzijd member
    edited May 2015
    erinnlou said:

STM. I have both OB and Midwife at my office. I like the balance. Hospital birth over homebirth mainly because I live with other people and that's just awkward. But I'll be all natural, med free. Just in a hospital"

Ohmigosh yes! How awkward! Lol. That brings images of Jennifer Lopez's movie where she's pregnant with twins and falls in the birthing tub watching someone having a water birth. I laughed so hard! But that would NOT be funny if that happened to you! ;)

• Options
    My best advice is to educate yourself for preferences, but don't lock into a "plan" because labor never goes how you envision.

I am a STM. My hospital has a birth center in it. My hope is to deliver there, vaginally and med free.

For my first, my blood pressure was too high to allow me to use the BC. I ended up getting an epidural, which they turned off for pushing. I had a great l&d...6 hours from start to finish. I did have a 3rd degree tear, BUT since that was my "normal" I don't know what it feels like to not tear. It really didn't hurt after. I hiked 3 miles a couple days later. When you have nothing to compare it to, it isn't so bad. ;)

Also some advice a prenatal yoga teacher gave is that this is the only time in our life that the pain and pressure we feel is for something GOOD. You are working towards this amazing miracle in every moment. It's not like breaking a leg, or being sick and it just sucks haha. It's exciting and amazing. No matter how baby makes their arrival it's a miracle. :) I am so excited!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

First birth: water broke, hospital, Pitosin held out for epidural for as long as I could. 6 hours. So glad I got it. It allowed me to rest. Hell, wish I had an epidural after too! 4th degree internal tear, 2nd degree internal.
    To prevent more tearing, I'm
    Scheduled for a C Section July 6. Which I was fine with until I stared googling images of it. Now I've decided to just keep the baby inside and not deliver EVER. Is that an option?

Maybe teleportation would be a good alternative?
  • Options

Assuming that my baby decides to stay head down and we have no complications, I will be delivering at a free standing birth center with a nurse - midwife. I won't have the option for an epidural at the birth center. My goal is to at least labor in the tub for a while because water is very relaxing to me

I think at this point if they are head down, they don't flip so you should be good
  • Options
    Well, I know I don't know how things will go because you can not predict but I do know that oxytocin is the natural hormone that is released when you are having contractions that is the happy love hormone that helps you deal with the pain. Pitcocin does not work the same way Oxytocin does. So when you get contractions from Pitocin they are much more extreme and you don't get the protective pain relief you would if it was oxytocin. Probably one of the reasons most women opt for the epidural after having hours of being pumped with pitocin. That's why I am not thrilled about being induced.
  • Options

I figure if I am capable of doing it without, I'd really rather not have a needle anywhere near my spinal cord. I know not everyone has adverse effects from epidurals, but I'd rather not risk it. Plus I have really quick labors, so it's really not necessary. I did it with my first, so no doubt that I can do it with this one.
  • Options
    I go back and forth about the epidural also but what I learned is that it can also prolong the labor.
  • Options

I think at this point if they are head down, they don't flip so you should be good
    I am due at the end of the month (31 weeks ) and baby was breech last week. I am pretty sure it is head down but can't wait to see what the midwife says this week
  • Options

First birth: water broke, hospital, Pitosin held out for epidural for as long as I could. 6 hours. So glad I got it. It allowed me to rest. Hell, wish I had an epidural after too! 4th degree internal tear, 2nd degree internal.
    Scheduled for a C Section July 6. Which I was fine with until I stared googling images of it. Now I've decided to just keep the baby inside and not deliver EVER. Is that an option?

Yes. Sign me up for teleportation birth.
    Is that like the "underwater dolphin birth" mentioned in the Simalac commercial?
  • Options

Yes. Sign me up for teleportation birth.
    Is that like the "underwater dolphin birth" mentioned in the Simalac commercial?

Is that like having a dolphin doula? That's all I can think of when you say underwater dolphin birth. lol

Oh and don't google that shit!
  • Options
    1st. Induced, pitocin, long long labour (36+ hours) gas & air, episiotomy & stitches (not nice at all!), high blood loss, one sore, tired new mum. Posterior tilted cervix makes my contractions less effective apparently!
    2nd. Gas & air, 12 hour labour, 3rd degree tear, no stitches (I refused as the 1st time they stitched me up too far
  • Options
    Pitocin = VIOLENT contractions..never again..
  • Options
    Anybody know of natural ways to boost Oxytocin?
  • Options
    mers90mers90 member
    Ob/gyn, hospital, no meds. My opinion on home births is that you're risking too much, if something goes wrong you'll loose time getting to the hospital so I would never do it, also, I don't understand why people choose to have all that mess in a place where is up to you (Or your partner) to clean.
  • Options
    All the mess was pretty well contained on pads and cleaned up by my midwife. If being away from the hospital makes you nervous, then by all means go where you are comfortable and feel safe. I think how you choose to give birth is a very personal decision and I totally respect a woman's choice even if it is different from mine. It's so important to feel safe in your birth environment, whatever that looks like for you. I felt like I would be fighting my OB to have my wishes respected which is why I made the choice I did. And lots of research was done before I made my decision. But I also know there are many great OBs out there and great hospital birth experiences happen every day. There are risks and benefits either way you choose to go. Research, read birth stories, have an open mind and talk to other moms in your area. You will probably start to get an idea of what you want for your birth.