August 2015 Moms
Options

middle back pain

HI Ladies,
I have my 2wk appt on friday so I will be following up with my OB or MW, but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

For about the last 2 weeks I have been getting intermittent aching in my middle back just below My bra line alongside my spine. It's not constant or after anything in particular.
I have been trying to sit straight and stand straight as I czn so I don't think it's really posture.
I was on thr smaller/thin side at 5'6 and 18/19 bmi pre baby and had 32C. Now I'm up 25lbs (all belly all in the front) and 32DD/E. I am carrying pretty high too. Could this just be where theweight of baby and my boobs is pulling/putting pressure?

I've heard of more lower back pain (I'll occasionally get a twinge in my tailbone but that is few and far between), but not the middle back. Any ideas?

Re: middle back pain

• Options
    I've had the same thing. Its normal. Your rib cage opens up a lot during pregnancy to make room for baby (and all your organs) so it can cause some pain and tenderness in your back. You're also holding A LOT of weight in front of you which can pull your entire back out of wack. Sounds to me like a great excuse to get a prenatal massage ;)
  • Options
    I too have mid back pain. It is on my right side right around my bra line. I started seeing a chiropractor it has helped a bit. I also use a tennis ball against a wall to help relieve some pin.

I too am carrying high but with twins. I think it will go away after the babies come bc I never had this pain before I started getting big.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SKLLH23SKLLH23 member
    Also feeling the middle back pain, and not much in the lower back. I am carrying low, but I'm also quite short (5'2") so "low" is relative. Saw a chiropractor who was not very concerned and said to come back if the pain worsens or distracts me. I think it is just one of those "every mama is different" things.
    I agree with @carleyec93! Prenatal massage, here I come!
  • Options
    lynp3lynp3 member
    I've had constant back pain the last few weeks, not so much my lower back but the middle of my back, doesn't matter if I sit, stand or lay down it's still terrible. I've tried Tylenol and putting a heating pad on my back doesn't help all that much, I've been brought close to tears in work it's that bad :( I had a doctor appointment today and as I expected he said it's just going to get worse :(
  • Options
    I get the middle back pain probably 4 or 5 nights a week too. it feels kind of more like a tenseness for me. I'm also on the smaller side and have gained 20 lbs that seems to be all in my belly (boobs haven't grown that much). sometimes a massage from my hubby helps. I have noticed that on days that we are able to get out to go for at least a 15-20 minute walk, my back seems to hurt less. 
  • Options
    I had the middle back pain with my first and now with my second! It's awful. I am also a smaller girl. I did physical therapy 3x a week with my first, tried support belt, kinetic tape, massage... Nothin really helps! I try to avoid situations where I am sitting in an uncomfortable chair/completely upright as that seems to aggravate it. I can tell you it completely went away after delivery of my first almost immediately! The only other time I have noticed it (not during pregnancy) was when I was wearing my daughter in the ergo/baby carrier when she was a couple months old.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have been getting it as well. Right in the middle of my back, mostly on the right side. It's terrible when I'm sitting straight up - it's really hard for me to sit for an extended period of time like at a restaurant.

My coworker had it & she said what helped her the most was one of those belly support bands to support that extra weight up front. I'm planning on getting one of those & scheduling a prenatal massage ASAP.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, normal. I want to cry when I have to load or unload the dishwasher because bending over a lot makes it so much worse for me. Luckily DH knows this and usually does it if he sees it needs to be done. All worth it in the end.
  • Options
    Yeah Dr. Said bc I'm holding all my weight in front now and trying to stand straight so I'm not leaning forward I am just using my back muscles between my shoulder blades more than normal and they are sore/tense. She said stretching would help and a belly support band could ptentially help.

I did one of my barre3 standing slim workouts which helped SOOOO much no pain for now 4 days post doing it. I highly reccommend if your having the same muscle strain I am.

69 days left to baby. Wootwoot