1st Trimester
Options

Mexican Cheeses?

Okay so maybe I am over worrying here. I know that we are suppose to stay away from soft cheeses that are not pasteurized but I am worried that I may have violated that rule. I didn't think about Mexican cheeses being an issue and I had the white kind of queso at a local Mexican restaurant tonight. It was also on one of my entr?es. It wasn't until I got home and was reading about it did I realize it was an issue. Have any of you ladies heard or had experiences with that? I think I mostly would just like reassurance cause I am freaking out a little bit. Any advice is helpful and thanks in advance.Big Smile
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mexican Cheeses?

• Options
    it's fine. don't worry.
    Due October 29
  • Options
    lol, I think that is exactly what I needed to hear. It is one thing to have your husband tell you it is fine but another pregnant woman helps a lot!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Queso...as in cheese that's cooked to boiling...? I think you'll be OK.
  • Options
    I ate it a couple of weeks ago with chips at a Mexican place and I didn't think about it either until I got home. I forgot to ask my doctor about it. The next time I eat Mexican I am going to ask if it is pasteurized and ask my doctor. I am sure it is pasteurized since it is served in a restuarant right?
  • Options
    :) no prob...for the love of all that is good...don't give up the QUESO!!!!!!
    Due October 29
  • Options
    Well the book mentioned queso specifically, that was why I was concerned. I can't help but worry over even though my head is telling me I am probably good.
  • Options
    If you aren't sick from it, don't worry about it!  It's only bad if you get what would essentially be food poisoning.  You should avoid queso in the future because it is generally unpasturized.
  • Options
    queso=cheese in spanish.  I realize we talk about queso dip which is a hot cheese dip.  Since it's cooked, I wouldn't worry.  It's cojita (the cheese that's usually crumbled like little feta) and other mexican cheeses that I think is more the problem because it's not usually pasteurized.  Ask, ask them to leave it off, or take your chances.  I'd really suggest you not drive yourself crazy over it.
  • Options
    COTIJA CHEESE STORE BOUGHT OR USED IN RESTAURANTS IS GENERALLY PASTEURIZED (RE AD LABELS IF YOU'RE PURCHASING, IT WILL SAY WHETHER ITS PASTEURIZED OR NOT). SAME FOR QUESO FRESCO. I PERSONALLY ATE QUESO DURO (SALVADOREAN TYPE) THRU OUT MY LAST PREGNANCY & THIS ONE TOO. IM PRETTY POSITIVE ITS NOT PASTEURIZED BECAUSE MY FAMILY BRINGS IT STRAIGHT FROM EL SALVADOR...SMUGGLED IN THEIR CARRY ONS LOL. PROBABLY NOT THE BEST IDEA, SO I DONT RECOMMEND IT, BUT PRAISE GOD I'VE NEVER GOTTEN SICK, PREGNANT OR NOT.
  • Options
    If you live in America, I believe most cheeses they serve in restaurants or that you can buy in the stores has been pasteurized. You're fine. :)

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me last night. I had Mexican and they had the white crumbled stuff on our fresh guacamole and I was trying to wipe it off. TI did not have too much of it and everyone has been telling me as long as I am not sick from it, it will be fine. I know how we can worry ourselves to death and over anaylze but hang in there. It will be fine. Its not like you had it every day this week in large amounts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have that once every three weeks at least...dont worry...I eat cold cuts too my doctor said it is fine and so did my RE
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"