3rd Trimester

Progesterone Levels in 1st Trimester

Hello all, I figured id ask my question here since you ladies are already well on your way to baby :)

While trying for baby #2 last year I had two miscarriages, both pretty early on (5-6weeks).  I also had experienced a miscarriage in 2011 before having my daughter.  All of my pregnancies have been with Clomid and since I have had three miscarriages they considered me at risk for recurrent miscarriage. Both DH and I had chromosomal testing done last year and we both checked out with no issues. 

This time around my Dr. has been watching me pretty close and said as soon as i got a BFP to call and they would check my progesterone levels.  Today I am about 4w4d and had my blood drawn last Thursday (3w8d).  My progesterone was 10.7 which they said was on the lower end.  They started me on 100mg progesterone yesterday and we are doing the HCG level checks as well.

My question is - did any of you use progesterone in effort to prevent miscarriages?  And if so do you feel that it helped? 

Thanks in advance for your input.  I am trying to stay positive and praying that the third time is a charm.

Re: Progesterone Levels in 1st Trimester

• CinciSurroCinciSurro member
    edited May 2015
    I had an embryo transfer so wasn't producing any progesterone myself and did progesterone shots and suppositories to keep it over 20 in order to sustain a healthy pregnancy.  About 8-9 weeks I started weaning off when the placentas took over.

I think it definitely makes sense to try it in your case!  Good luck :)
    Mommy to 5, 1st time Gestational Carrier
    Transfers #1-4  2013/2014 all same DE, all CP
    Transfer #5 11/16/14, new DE, transferred two fresh 5-day blasts
    Beta  9dp5dt - 296     Beta 15dp5dt - 6,596!     TWINS!! due 8/4/15
    Admitted to hospital for preterm labor and 5cm dilated at 32 + 6
    Delivered healthy baby girls vaginally at 36 + 4
    Baby A 6lb10oz born at 11:58pm
    Baby B 6lb11oz born at 12:04am
    (different birthdays!)
  • I had 2 very early miscarriages as well and as soon as I got my bfp I was on the phone demanding progesterone because they had found that I had low levels in the past. I'm happy to say that this time, getting on the progesterone quickly seemed to help as I'm now 31 weeks pregnant with a healthy little guy!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had two miscarriages last year, was put on progesterone too late and lost them both around 10 weeks. This time, took progesterone as soon as I found out I was pregnant and now I'm watching my little man kick the hell out of my uterus! Definitely works.
  • I have had two successful pregnancies with the help of progesterone. Though it is not fool proof, it does help a lot.
  • After my twins I had 3 miscarriages. After the 3rd I got lots of testing done and everything came back normal but the doctor suggested next time I get pregnant we start progesterone to see if it would help the pregnancy along. He made it obvious that it was not a for sure thing but in some cases help. I got pregnant and started progesterone suppositories and am now 20 weeks pregnant. Good luck to you!
  • With blood work at my first appointment my progesterone level was 9 and immediately started on the progesterone supplements until end of 1st trimester. Now I'm 4 days until due date. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.
  • I am not sure what my progesterone level was initially but I have had 2 miscarriages and a missed miscarriage, as soon as I got a positive on a blood test at 6 weeks they doctor started me on progesterone until 12 weeks I think. I am now 26 weeks 6 days and going into my third trimester on Monday. What I do know for sure, is it won't hurt the pregnancy, all it can do is help. Good Luck.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Hey first off sorry for your losses. I too lost two early on and would have fine prog levels until allbof a sudden they'd just drop off and I'd loose baby. I lost two like that and it would take I've a year tobget preg each time so the third time I found out I was preg I immediately went on prog. I took three suppositories a day. It wasn't pleasant but today I'm 37+1 weeks preg with our first little boy. I think the prog really helped. I took them through the first trimester and all the grossness is worth it. I haven't had any other problems with this pregnancy so now its just waiting for the next few weeks to meet out little boy. Good luck to you. I hope the prog helps you.