June 2015 Moms
Options

Planning own baby shower

So has anyone planned there own baby shower? Mines this weekend, I've planned everything down to the last m&m. No one offered to throw me one and we decided to have more of a couples BBQ than a traditional baby shower. BUT now mil wants to take over and is driving me crazy, she's had her own agenda about this baby from the minute we told her I was pregnant and my SO has no balls to stand up to her and tell her to back off. She's driving me crazy!

Sorry that turned into a rant, need to get it off my chest.

Re: Planning own baby shower

• Options
    Granted, I don't known how far along exactly you are besides the fact you're due in June....but I personally don't even see the point of a baby shower this late in the game. I'd consider a sprinkle or whatever they're called after the baby is born. Andddddd I also would never throw my own baby shower, but that's just me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It seems like the damage is done here... I almost want to suggest you let her take over to keep your guests from thinking you threw your own baby shower. Unless you said no gifts on the invite and are really just having a casual couples' bbq? That I think would be fine.
  • Options
    almakiealmakie member
    Okay ladies, probably didn't explain it well enough. It's more of a last get together BBQ before bubba comes.
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    almakie said:

Okay ladies, probably didn't explain it well enough. It's more of a last get together BBQ before bubba comes.

So then it's not a baby shower.... I am confused?? What do the invitations say?
  • Options
    The premise of the party is a little confusing but you're sure to get some empathy for crazy MILs here. I've read so many MIL horror stories today. I Hope she backs off for your sanity's sake
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    I can't believe that this is real...mostly because it's the second or third "I'm planning my own shower and just posted this to brag about it without asking any questions at all" thread on the bump in the past week.

I'm assuming this is a troll and moving on instead of wasting my time explaining basic etiquette here.
  • Options
    almakiealmakie member
    This is my first child and unfortunately I don't a family that has time to bother throwing a baby shower for me, so I took matters into my own hands. I posted this thread not to be braggy or seem selfish. But to talk to someone that actually is throwing there own baby shower, so instead of all the negative comments about how I shouldn't do it. Let the very few people that are doing it themselves speak to each other.
  • Options
    Mm bbq, I want a bbq turkey sandwich on a French roll.. All hot and delicious
  • Options
    dezpez07dezpez07 member
    edited May 2015
    @almakie personally I don't see anything wrong in hosting your own get together especially since it's not a formal baby shower. I was going to plan my own shower only because I didn't even know someone was supposed to offer to host it and I planned my own bridal shower not thinking anything of it. If you don't want your mil to help then stand your ground, however extra help is always appreciated and you accept her help while letting her know what you want. Good luck!
  • Options
    mishmardhionomishmardhiono member
    edited May 2015
    So if you don't have someone willing in your life to do this for you then you just miss out? As soon as you go and complete a gift registry irrelevant of who is hosting it your just doing a gift grab in any case?

I don't know, I'll never agree on this and I'd never look down at any of my friends hosting their own shower. Every person deserves to have this experience/memory and shouldn't be excluded because they may not hve friends who want to or who can host on their behalf.

God you guys must be under so much pressure over there, we would never judge someone for not bringing a gift. For inviting us out for their birthday dinner and having to pay or for shouting our own at a wedding. The point of all these days is who your spending important milestones with and memories created rather than gifts scored/money spent.

One of the best weddings I went to was a friend of ours, already had children, lived together and purchased a house so in lieu of gifts they asked we paid for our head at the wedding. No pressure on gift buying, worked out cheaper than a gift for us and they got the wedding they wanted
  • Options
    Lol @MrsWiggleWaggle we just said the same thing at the same time essentially.
  • Options

Like I said before I don't think there is anything wrong with hosting your own celebration of the BABY coming/a get together for your friends. But at least here in the U.S. the entire point of an actual shower is to celebrate the MOTHER and shower her with gifts. Common point of view on this is its rude to throw a party in your own honor, and invite people expecting them to give you presents. You wouldn't send an invitation saying "buy me a present because I'm having a baby" but essentially that's what it is if you are the host. It would be like nominating yourself for an award and then asking people to buy you a present for your achievement.

That's essentially every party, an engagement party is come celebrate our engagement and bring us gifts, birthday party is come celebrate my birthday and give me gifts..

I don't know, it must be different cultures I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So if you don't have someone willing in your life to do this for you then you just miss out? As soon as you go and complete a gift registry irrelevant of who is hosting it your just doing a gift grab in any case? I don't know, I'll never agree on this and I'd never look down at any of my friends hosting their own shower. Every person deserves to have this experience/memory and shouldn't be excluded because they may not hve friends who want to or who can host on their behalf.
    Ill agree it is a bit archaic. Its from a time when women moved directly from their parents house to their husbands. Today couples marry and have children much later and are usually more financially and domestically established so they don't exactly "need" anything but the tradition still stands. But that's where the tradition comes from. And yes, if no one is willing to do this you do miss out. No one is entitled to a baby shower, you don't deserve one and plenty of women have gone without one. Others who don't have much money have managed to pull off very modest but respectable showers. In the age of pinterest the pressure to show off by hosting the perfect party has become ridiculous so I understand why some are reluctant to host these kinds of events. A cake a few paper streamers and some paper plates doesn't seem to cut it in many circles any more.

You don't have to agree. I'm not trying to throw shade. I'm just explaining the context and why general etiquette says you don't host your own. 

EDIT: About the gift registry....really you aren't supposed to do one of these until someone has offered to host. Before the modern age like in the 50's there were arguments about registries and if they were "tacky" usually your host did them in store for you and quietly got the word out to guests about where they registered so people wouldn't buy duplicate gifts. Now people register themselves,times do change and maybe this will too. Who knows? (Source: many conversations with grandmothers, aunts, ladies society club presidents in the American South). 

PS @mishmardhiono I am fascinated by cultural etiquette! I so very wish our events looked more like what you describe in Australia. There is definitely a  consumerist attitude here and it drives me a little nuts. It's all about flaunting your wealth in many respects. My inlaws even demanded a list with all the gifts/money received from my wedding so they could equally reciprocate for future weddings of various friends and families who attended ours!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    no shower here. not gonna host my own because that does seem very attention seeking and gift grabby.
    i made a registry and am using it to remind myself of what i still need to purchase.
    also didnt have a bridal shower, sweet 16, and no celebration for my champagne birthday. if i had the space (and friends) i would invite people over to hang out, but alas. forever alone.
    i shall just miss out like thousands of women have done in the past.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, grammar nazi teacher here... The original post... There needs to be their... Ok.. That is all. Proceed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think it kind of depends on your circle of friends and family and you. It seems like some people nowadays are so busy that they'd rather be invited to a shower than throw one. Personally I think it would be a little strange if anyone I knew threw themselves a shower, but more than that I would be happy to not deal with the stress of hosting! So I guess no matter what the party is called trying to focus on the reason for it and to give joyfully is where I would be coming from. Babies are such blessings!
  • Options
    almakiealmakie member
    Times are changing fast, and all the old traditions are unfortunately dying. But at the same time people need to be more opened minded about new traditions.
  • Options
    I think it's definitely a cultural thing. In my area, it is tacky to throw your own shower, bday party, etc. I don't find it rude that someone throws their own, I find it sad. If you don't have 1 person in your life willing to throw down a plate of cheese and crackers and let people in their home for an hour or two, then you don't have a shower. In my circle, the only party you should throw for yourself is a wedding or a housewarming. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just pointing out how it is different by area. Anyone throwing their own party in this area just seems desperate and sad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• Options
    I'm in agreement that it's tacky to throw your own shower. But I also feel bad for those in situations where friends and family can't afford or due to distance can't do a shower for someone else. It doesn't mean the mother to be doesn't deserve a shower. why don't you save face by making it seem like your husband is the host? Doesn't gotta be an all female thing. My mother and sister threw my baby shower but my husband had a huge hand in it too.
  • Options
    almakie said:

So has anyone planned there own baby shower? Mines this weekend, I've planned everything down to the last m&m. No one offered to throw me one and we decided to have more of a couples BBQ than a traditional baby shower. BUT now mil wants to take over and is driving me crazy, she's had her own agenda about this baby from the minute we told her I was pregnant and my SO has no balls to stand up to her and tell her to back off. She's driving me crazy!

Sorry that turned into a rant, need to get it off my chest.

This reminds me of how I'd feel if I began something like this and my MIL stepped in and DH didn't try and help me stop it.
    Now seeing it from a different stand point, I think maybe she didn't know that you wanted a baby shower or maybe she felt rude stepping in an area your own mother normally would've stepped in.
    I think that maybe your MIL feels guilty now about not asking you if you wanted a shower or trying to throw one for you.
    If she'd like to help, let her. It seems like she cares.
    TBH my 1st shower was a disaster! I had to make my own invitations from my graduation money, my grandmother and aunt didn't go 50/50 on it like promised, since my family wasn't getting back to me on anything MIL stepped in also and brought decorations and food, my grandmother asked ME (at the time I just graduated HS and my husband was working his arse off just for tips) to pay for the place they were having it which was completely out of line.
    Girl it was just a disaster.

• Options
    KreslaKresla member
    My good friend is throwing me a baby shower this Sunday. If she haven't offered, my husband and I would have hosted a sip and see. All the invite would say is come see our baby, BYOB, and bring something to share like salad or dessert. We probably would grill hamburgers and hotdogs and just have a gathering. We may still do this but at least it isn't a party we host that emphasizes gifts. It is about important people in our lives seeing our baby. If they care to bring something, they can but they are by no means expected to.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm pretty fed up with all the rude judgement and lack of support on all these threads. Some people genuinely use them for helpful advice and comiseration... I sympathize with @almakie for not having someone volunteer to bend over backwards to throw her a baby shower. People are busy with their own lives and why shouldn't she have one if she wants one?
    While someone did technically throw me a shower and act as host the day of. Soon after the planning went under way, I realized she didn't have the time or energy to devote to preparing things for the party, due to her demanding job and being a parent of an active 7 yr old, it's understandable. So I ended up doing everything and paying for the party %80 myself. I was appreciative to have my friend attempt to throw me a shower but it was a little stressful running around and picking up the slack. Ultimately it was a great party and everything was just how I wanted it to be and everyone that came had a great time and that was important to me.
    Etiquette or not babies are expensive and I don't see anything wrong with wanting or needing things for your first born, especially if you put forth the effort of having a fun get together for your friends. Yes it's to honor the parents to be and to celebrate the new baby. But it still takes time and money and is somewhat stressful.
    can everyone please stop being so hateful and get off your high horses!!!